Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Game Consoles > Nintendo Consoles

Notices

Old 22nd April 2017, 6:44 AM   #46
prezident doom

Despite just getting the nes mini if the snes mini has mario kart i will be sold.
Old 22nd April 2017, 7:19 AM   #47
Sledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by prezident doom View Post
Despite just getting the nes mini if the snes mini has mario kart i will be sold.
You would assume it does..
Sledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2017, 8:36 AM   #48
MoNk{LAH}

Got my mini nes on Day 1, and have only played it a few times. Will still get the mini SNES when it's out.

Will it be as cheap, probably not.
Old 22nd April 2017, 8:42 AM   #49
Drizz06

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis View Post
And there you have it. Not on a store shelf. Not in mainstream advertising.

Regular folk didn't even know these existed by the time they sold out.
Not in mainstream advertising?? I get emails daily from retailers!
Eb games, Jb hifi and supermarkets like Aldi! Almost all retailers have mailing lists and will give you up to date news on new products and promotions.

Not everyone has time to sit down reading catalogs all day mate.
Drizz06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2017, 9:13 AM   #50
clonex

Maybe best to take it to PM as seriously who gives a flying f&&k when the product isnt even out yet and seriously adds nothing to the thread.

How about what games people are wanting to see on it?
clonex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2017, 9:37 AM   #51
elvis
Old school old fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizz06 View Post
Not in mainstream advertising?? I get emails daily from retailers!
Eb games, Jb hifi and supermarkets like Aldi! Almost all retailers have mailing lists and will give you up to date news on new products and promotions.

Not everyone has time to sit down reading catalogs all day mate.
No, emails from game retailers don't count as mainstream advertising. Easy to forget when you live in that world. But you aren't the mainstream. Not even close.

You're suffering the same echo chamber effects as so many others do. The world is so much bigger and more diverse than what you witness in your own corner of it.
elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2017, 12:14 PM   #52
Drizz06

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis View Post
No, emails from game retailers don't count as mainstream advertising. Easy to forget when you live in that world. But you aren't the mainstream. Not even close.

You're suffering the same echo chamber effects as so many others do. The world is so much bigger and more diverse than what you witness in your own corner of it.
Didn't realize email and even social media was a new concept to Australians.
I guess I better hook up my cans and string.
Drizz06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2017, 12:31 PM   #53
elvis
Old school old fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizz06 View Post
Didn't realize email and even social media was a new concept to Australians.
I guess I better hook up my cans and string.
I say again: go talk to regular folk outside of your immediate circles. The chasm of understanding between someone like you and a regular person on the street is frightening.

You're talking people who need help setting up a Foxtel box, and consider "the Internet" to be the Facebook app pre-installed on their iPhone.

Wrapping this discussion back around to the topic at hand: Nintendo grossly underestimated the demand for their NES Mini, and their advertising to the right market (i.e.: non-nerds) was completely non-existent. The flippers and scalpers capitalised on that. There's no pride in that - they were just opportunistic scum. But the fact remains that plenty of regular, non-technical folk who enjoyed these simple games in the 80s missed out because they didn't even hear that these things existed until it was too late.

Again, there's no taking sides here. Nintendo were stupid, and that's on them. But people pre-ordering a dozen of these things just to flip them on eBay are still dicks. There is no "one side versus the other" style polarisation here. It's not some simple Hollywood plot of good versus bad, or anything that banal and childish. It's a combination of stupidity and greed that means a a lot of folk missed out on something that was a pretty cool idea. And sure, it's all a bit "first world problems". Nobody's claiming it's any more than that. But ti's just another case of a 1% of the population ruining it for 99% of the population, like just about everything else that goes on in the world today.

The cringe factor of it all is watching the flippers talk themselves up like their some sort of high end genius entrepreneurs, when all they're doing is making chump change that I wouldn't get out of bed for. Again, if you're not even making enough to pay GST on it, bragging about it makes you look like a fool. It's an embarrassing side story to an already fairly obvious oops on Nintendo's part.

I'd like to see Nintendo keep going with these mini consoles. I hope either the NES mini makes a comeback, or the SNES mini includes all the NES mini games (I kinda doubt that second one will happen though, mostly due to the way Nintendo works). Primarily, I hope that fans of the games get a chance to play them again (because that's my passion - seeing folks enjoy old games in a legal way). But secondarily I'd get great pleasure out of seeing the bottom fall out of the scalping market, and folks with a dozen of these things tucked away lose all profits on them, just to satisfy my own schadenfreude.

Beyond that, I hope Nintendo keep pushing forward, and we also see a N64 Mini in coming years. Likewise, I hope Sega dump their current clone hardware manufacturer (AT Games) and follow suit with quality ARM-based emulation boxes like these. The biggest issue with the current Sega hardware (other than the shitty quality emulation) is that they still use low-def output, and if a new device like this is offered to a current customer base, it really needs to deal with lag-free play on Hi-Def TVs, which means HDMI out. (Again, see my comments above about how non-technical people in the real world are, and that they need literal plug-and-play solutions that are idiot-proof, or "Poka-yoke" as the Japanese call it).
Old 22nd April 2017, 12:55 PM   #54
Boneman

Quote:
Originally Posted by clonex View Post
Maybe best to take it to PM as seriously who gives a flying f&&k when the product isnt even out yet and seriously adds nothing to the thread.

How about what games people are wanting to see on it?
Apart from the obvious ones Im hoping for Mortal Kombat 3. In a perfect world they would also put Super International Cricket on the PAL version.
Boneman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2017, 1:09 PM   #55
elvis
Old school old fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneman View Post
Apart from the obvious ones Im hoping for Mortal Kombat 3. In a perfect world they would also put Super International Cricket on the PAL version.
Third party licenses are always a tricky one. Nintendo managed to get quite a few third parties on to the NES mini, which impressed the hell out of me.

If they've offered the game at any point on Virtual Console, then at least you know there was a relationship there at some point. I don't think either of the games you mentioned there were ever on VC.

Netherrealm Studios owns the MK franchise, which tend to release arcade bundles of things for licensing reasons. They haven't been very open to the idea of licensing their stuff on Nintendo, and I think there's some bad blood (no pun intended) there from the MK days on Nintendo hardware.

Super International Cricket was made by the mighty Beam Software (previously "Melbourne House", and ultimately sold to "Krome Studios". These days they just make crappy mobile shovelware, so who knows, maybe they'd be open to licensing deals to make some money out of their old IP?
Old 24th April 2017, 9:50 AM   #56
azzachaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneman View Post
H-H-How-H-H-H-Howiz-H-H-H-Howizattt!!!.....OUT!!!
Originally posted by .Net Developer: I could check it in, but it's gonna look like shit.
azzachaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2017, 11:55 AM   #57
Boneman

Quote:
Originally Posted by azzachaz View Post
H-H-How-H-H-H-Howiz-H-H-H-Howizattt!!!.....OUT!!!
Yea thats the best part of the game.
Boneman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2017, 12:22 PM   #58
Lord Belial

This could be awesome. I love Super Mario World and it's got a be a lock for this thing. I hope for:

1: enough supply
2: enough controller cable
3: controllers are perfect recreations
Old 24th April 2017, 1:29 PM   #59
hippyhippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Belial View Post
This could be awesome. I love Super Mario World and it's got a be a lock for this thing. I hope for:

1: enough supply
2: enough controller cable
3: controllers are perfect recreations
2. wireless controller
hippyhippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2017, 2:00 PM   #60
power

the more I think about this machine the more unlikely it seems, nes classic got people thinking about Nintendo again and I'm sure was a big part in building momentum for switch but why would Nintendo release another classic now? The Switch will be their primary focus from here on in IMO.

If I'm proven wrong I can live with that but I have my doubts on this one.