Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Game Consoles > Nintendo Consoles

Notices

Old 21st July 2017, 5:06 PM   #16
Drizz06

Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Super Smash Bros and 4 controller support pretty pretty please!

i spent many all nighters playing those 3 games!
Drizz06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2017, 6:14 PM   #17
Pemalite

Perfect Dark is likely a big fat no. That is a Microsoft franchise now. It was also remastered on the Xbox 360 and re-released on the Xbox One.

Which is fine... But they *WILL* need to put Goldeneye on there if there is no Perfect Dark. - Provided if they can secure the rights.

Would like to see: Pokemon Stadium, Mario 64, Donkey Kong 64, Pokemon Snap, Diddy Kong Racing, Lylat Wars, Command and Conquer, Smash Brothers, Mario Kart 64, Gauntlet Legends, Zelda Ocarina of Time and Majoras Mask, Yoshis Story, Mario Party, Paper Mario, Harvest Moon, F-Zero X and a few Turok games.

And if they can get StarCraft 64 on that (To combat the $300+ ebay cart prices...) that would be bloody awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theSeekerr View Post
I believe current state-of-the-art Gamecube emulation runs adequately on Snapdragon 835 / nVidia X1 / Exynos 8895, i.e. the 2017 flagship SoCs.

Maybe Nintendo could manage better, but I doubt it would be a huge amount. So we're talking Shield-like hardware to emulate the Gamecube.

Seems unlikely to happen. Perhaps they could do a Gamecube-on-a-chip cheaper than full emulation?
Don't forget storage either. The NES classic uses a single 512MB SLC NAND chip, the SNES Classic likely uses something similar.

Gamecube's games are orders-of-magnitude larger than the old carts, which requires significantly more NAND to pull off.
Old 21st July 2017, 8:24 PM   #18
Reaper Thread Starter

I'd love to see superman 64.
_____|__||__|_____ ---||---------||---
Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2017, 8:46 PM   #19
Bourke

Hope to catch them all...3 for 3 mini's
Bourke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2017, 8:46 PM   #20
simontifik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
I'd love to see superman 64.
Lol, I remember my brother and I renting Superman 64 and thinking WTF is wrong with this game. It wasn't until recently I learned via the internet how we weren't alone.

If this thing has Goldeneye and 4 controllers, I'll be all over it but I'm betting it won't have either.
simontifik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2017, 12:21 PM   #21
HSV

I've got an original SNES and N64 with perfect controllers and Everdrives - still will be picking up these Minis, I've got a lot of love for them >
HSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2017, 2:02 PM   #22
miicah

If we can't get Perfect Dark, there is no way we are getting ANY Rare games...

CS:GO Videos | Motorcycle Videos
miicah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2017, 2:34 PM   #23
elvis
Old school old fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemalite View Post
Perfect Dark is likely a big fat no. That is a Microsoft franchise now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by miicah View Post
If we can't get Perfect Dark, there is no way we are getting ANY Rare games...
Rare fans (myself included) are just going to have to let their favourite franchises go when it comes to these Nintendo devices.

With the exception of Donkey Kong Country (where Nintendo themselves own the IP/copyright/distribution rights), anything else by Rare is now Microsoft's property.

"Rare Replay" on XBoxOne is your only way of getting those legally now, and that's very unlikely to go multi-platform any time soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simontifik View Post
Lol, I remember my brother and I renting Superman 64 and thinking WTF is wrong with this game.
I somehow have three original cartridges of this game, and no idea how I acquired them (must have been in bundles with other things I was collecting). I haven't even plugged one in to test yet. Maybe I should, after a few beers.
elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2017, 7:01 PM   #24
elvis
Old school old fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by theSeekerr View Post
I believe current state-of-the-art Gamecube emulation runs adequately on Snapdragon 835 / nVidia X1 / Exynos 8895, i.e. the 2017 flagship SoCs.

Maybe Nintendo could manage better, but I doubt it would be a huge amount. So we're talking Shield-like hardware to emulate the Gamecube.

Seems unlikely to happen. Perhaps they could do a Gamecube-on-a-chip cheaper than full emulation?
Yeah, I'd pretty much expected to see that on Switch (which I'd happily buy per-title), and not a dedicated device like the Minis. After all, they want to try and keep the hardware costs down there as much as possible to increase the profit margins.
Old 22nd July 2017, 8:24 PM   #25
Pemalite

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis View Post
Yeah, I'd pretty much expected to see that on Switch (which I'd happily buy per-title), and not a dedicated device like the Minis. After all, they want to try and keep the hardware costs down there as much as possible to increase the profit margins.
I don't think Profit is a big concern with these devices, especially with the demand vs supply ratio being so out of whack.

Happy I got the NES classic and I have my SNES Classic pre-ordered.
Probably need to get in quick with the N64 classic if it comes available.
Old 22nd July 2017, 10:03 PM   #26
zebu

I'm sure i posted this in the mini SNES thread but there were only ever 21 N64 games released on virtual consoles for the Wii/WiiU

seems likely they would make up the bulk of a mini console's catalog

1080° Snowboarding
Bomberman 64
Donkey Kong 64
Excitebike 64
F-Zero X
Harvest Moon 64
Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards
Mario Golf Nintendo
Mario Kart 64
Mario Party 2
Mario Tennis
Ogre Battle 64: Person of Lordly Caliber
Paper Mario
Pokémon Snap
Sin & Punishment
Star Fox 64
Super Mario 64
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Wave Race 64
Yoshi's Story

list from: http://nintendo.wikia.com/wiki/Wii_U...North_America)

Last edited by zebu; 22nd July 2017 at 10:09 PM. Reason: fixed list
zebu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2017, 1:31 PM   #27
elvis
Old school old fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemalite View Post
I don't think Profit is a big concern with these devices, especially with the demand vs supply ratio being so out of whack.
I disagree. Nintendo's MO since the dawn of time is to use cheap hardware with a good margin on top. They leave the "razor blade model" of low profit margins on hardware to Microsoft and Sony. More to the point, these mini consoles don't have "software sales" to make up the difference, so whatever profit is made has to be done at point of sale, with no ability to recoup that later.

The NES Mini would have cost Nintendo somewhere in the order of $30-40 per unit. At their retail price, they were making 80%+ profit per unit just on hardware (not including more complex things like development, marketing and whatnot thrown in there).

My point is that for Nintendo to get hardware that could emulate a GameCube, they'd have to start upping the clockspeed and other things (cooling becomes an issue). That pushes it from commodity "Raspberry Pi" style boards into more niche equipment, upping costs, which means the sub-$100 price model they're after starts to not be achievable.

With that in mind, I can't see a "GameCube Mini" being a thing at this stage. With that said, Nintendo could be chasing a projected hardware growth here. The NES Mini was 2016, SNES Mini 2017. If there's 1-2 years of release window per mini console, there's a bit of time for them to wait out for GameCube emulation to become achievable on future ARM processors due out in the next few years.
Old 23rd July 2017, 2:02 PM   #28
zebu

To me it feels like a GameCube mini is neither classic enough given the games run native on the Wii and also it seems like something they would want us to pay a premium for on a switch virtual console.

Wild speculation but perhaps if they want a third console they might do a Gameboy classic in the style of the super Gameboy cart for the SNES or the GBA player adapter for the GameCube except stand alone with HDMI out and borders to make up aspect ratios and etc.
zebu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2017, 5:29 PM   #29
elvis
Old school old fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebu View Post
To me it feels like a GameCube mini is neither classic enough
Fair point. We had to wait over 30 years for the NES Mini. By that logic, we should see a GameCube Mini around 2032.
Old 23rd July 2017, 7:12 PM   #30
melatonin

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebu View Post
To me it feels like a GameCube mini is neither classic enough given the games run native on the Wii
Exactly, Wii + SD card + component cables makes me happy, gamecube game prices are beyond a joke.

A n64 mini I would consider if the games are good, I wonder if they will throw in an un-released game like they did with the SNES, I'm trying to think what was never released only starcraft ghost comes to mind but that's not 1st party
melatonin is offline   Reply With Quote