Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Game Consoles > Nintendo Consoles

Notices

Old 15th April 2011, 11:52 AM   #1
thebranded Thread Starter

Default Next-gen Nintendo Wii U Announced

Quote:
Gamers have been waiting years for Nintendo to finally release its Wii successor, and Game Informer has heard from multiple sources that the company will unveil it at E3 this summer if not sooner.

We have confirmed with multiple sources that this new home system is capable of running games at HD resolutions. There are conflicting reports, however, as to whether its graphics will be comparable to those on the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 – meaning it could surpass or fall short of those systems. Either way it will offer competitive specifications. Moving to HD should greatly help Nintendo and its new console in getting more multi-platform triple-A titles like Portal 2 or Mortal Kombat. This, in turn, will strengthen Nintendo's historically poor relationship with third-party publishers/developers.
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/a...ole-at-e3.aspx

Well its about time Nintendo releases a HD console, as long as they dont start thinking that graphics alone makes a good game.

[EDIT]
Will it seems Nintendo have officially said it will release a new console in 2012, with preview in E3 2011.

Quote:
Nintendo has just announced it plans to introduce a successor to its Wii console next year, a "playable model" of which will be shown off at the E3 gaming expo in Los Angeles coming up on June 7th
http://www.engadget.com/2011/04/25/n...view-it-at-e3/

OFFICAL PICS and SPEC:

Quote:
- High definition display, up to 1080p resolution via HDMI output
- 6.2" touchscreen on New Controller, running in non-HD resolution
- Internal flash-based media storage, upgradeable via USB and SD cards
- Games ship on proprietary iDensity discs of unspecified, but "large capacity"
- Games will also be available as downloadable content
- Console compatible with Wii games and devices
- Release date between April 1, 2012 to December 31, 2012; or after the end of Nintendo's fiscal year
Further videos and details in thread

btw thx to the mod that edited title

Last edited by thebranded; 8th June 2011 at 8:59 AM.
thebranded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2011, 11:58 AM   #2
HUMMER

so long as they stick with the simple game play of the current titles. im sure many would pick this up including myself. its great for kiddies too. easy to pick up games makes more fun for everyone.

if i wanted to play all by myself i have the ps3 for that. if i wanted a multiplayer fun with mates. thats where the wii comes to its own.

Originally Posted by Subcommandante - Who are DVDA? Just a bunch of guys hanging out and having fun...

Originally Posted by Agg - You seem to be confusing OCAU with some kind of democracy.

Originally Posted by Spyfox - mount it on the rear like a brokeback cowboy
HUMMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2011, 11:59 AM   #3
Philll
(Taking a Break)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Source from article
"Nintendo is doing this one right," said an anonymous source. "[It's] not a gimmick like the Wii."
Fuck head.
Philll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2011, 12:09 PM   #4
Queenie

ten bucks on skyward sword seeing twilight princess treatment and whatnot and another 10 on this console being the next gamecube or n64 followed by ninty's next revolution.

and another 10 bucks on nintendo making a crapload of money out of whatever they do. Well, that's a given.
Old 15th April 2011, 12:15 PM   #5
DiGiTaL MoNkEY
Inverted Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebranded View Post
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/a...ole-at-e3.aspx

Well its about time Nintendo releases a HD console, as long as they dont start thinking that graphics alone makes a good game.
I really don't know how this will work out. It really comes down to what they include in it to set it apart from the competition.

But if they do get the jump on Sony and Microsoft it might work out in their favour.
DiGiTaL MoNkEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2011, 12:29 PM   #6
Philll
(Taking a Break)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queenie View Post
and another 10 bucks on nintendo making a crapload of money out of whatever they do. Well, that's a given.
As long as they continue to tread new ground where others won't, I don't see the need for another console offering the same experience as the PS3/360. The emphasis seems to be on the graphics throughout the whole article, it's a massive selling point, not that many people will admit it.

@ Skyward sword.. that would suck.
Philll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2011, 12:32 PM   #7
DiGiTaL MoNkEY
Inverted Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philll View Post
As long as they continue to tread new ground where others won't, I don't see the need for another console offering the same experience as the PS3/360. The emphasis seems to be on the graphics throughout the whole article, it's a massive selling point, not that many people will admit it.
Very true.

It's like i have a PS3 or 360, with or without Kinect/Move, why do i need a graphically better Wii? No real reason unless it brings something major to the table.
DiGiTaL MoNkEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2011, 1:11 PM   #8
Queenie

like a sequel to jet force gemini... but that'd be on 360 so

hm

majora's mask rerelease.
Old 15th April 2011, 1:21 PM   #9
.Radiant

i thought nintendo had already stated they won't be using the wii name/motion controls in their next console?
Old 15th April 2011, 1:28 PM   #10
gregpolk

I don't think they'll do push Skyward Sword onto it. The rumours seem to be saying a late 2012 release. That would mean they'd have to delay Zelda by almost a year just to get a ported Wii game on this 'hi def' console. Better off spending that year developing a new game that's actually designed for a much more powerful console.

Radiant, don't know about that but I'd say it's a safe bet they'll go for full backwards compatibility and get all the Wiimotes and so on working on the new console.

As I mentioned in my post in another thread regarding this, I think the best idea, is they'll go for coexisting consoles. The PS2 proved that a cheap casual console can coexist with an expensive powerful 'hardcore' one. Even sweeter if full backwards compatibility is maintained, maybe even some perks. How nice would it be to chuck in your Wii copy of Skyward Sword and have it run in native, not upscaled 1080p. Emulators can do it, maybe a console could.

Another thought, could we see an AMD APU make it's way into a console?

Last edited by gregpolk; 15th April 2011 at 1:35 PM.
gregpolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2011, 1:39 PM   #11
proffesso

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregpolk View Post
I don't think they'll do push Skyward Sword onto it. The rumours seem to be saying a late 2012 release. That would mean they'd have to delay Zelda by almost a year just to get a ported Wii game on this 'hi def' console. Better off spending that year developing a new game that's actually designed for a much more powerful console.

Radiant, don't know about that but I'd say it's a safe bet they'll go for full backwards compatibility and get all the Wiimotes and so on working on the new console.

As I mentioned in my post in another thread regarding this, I think the best idea, is they'll go for coexisting consoles. The PS2 proved that a cheap casual console can coexist with an expensive powerful 'hardcore' one. Even sweeter if full backwards compatibility is maintained, maybe even some perks. How nice would it be to chuck in your Wii copy of Skyward Sword and have it run in native, not upscaled 1080p. Emulators can do it, maybe a console could.

Another thought, could we see an AMD APU make it's way into a console?
if nintendo has announced this, then development of HD titles have already started internally. you dont develop a game in a year, not for a major platform launch, and especially not 1st party.
Old 15th April 2011, 1:52 PM   #12
claf-43

Nintendo are revolutionary, they look for new ideas.

They aren't gonna simply do the stupid Wii-HD trick, that's a MS style trick.

Something else will be planned, you can guarantee it.
claf-43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2011, 2:08 PM   #13
proffesso

Quote:
Originally Posted by claf-43 View Post
Nintendo are revolutionary, they look for new ideas.

They aren't gonna simply do the stupid Wii-HD trick, that's a MS style trick.

Something else will be planned, you can guarantee it.
supernintendo, n64, gamecube, gameboy advance, gameboy micro etc dont really strike me as revolutionary

ninendo got LUCKY with the Wii...thats all, they needed something else since they couldnt compete technically.

they will really have to be thinking outside the box on this new one...motion controls have been bettered by MS and Sony now, to the point of not needing a controller at all...
Old 15th April 2011, 2:11 PM   #14
gregpolk

Quote:
Originally Posted by proffesso View Post
if nintendo has announced this, then development of HD titles have already started internally. you dont develop a game in a year, not for a major platform launch, and especially not 1st party.
I meant using that year for development not developing an entire game in a year, as there's no real benefit in delaying what will be a massive selling Wii title to a much more powerful console. It wouldn't show off the abilities of the new console without some major work done to it. It worked with Twilight princess because the Wii wasn't a massive step up from the GC. If rumours are to believed and it's more powerful than a PS3 or X360, then a Wii game would look rather shit for a launch title. So you'd spend a year porting a relatively ugly game to likely sell fewer copies. Plus you'd piss off your fan base. Nothing to gain really except increasing the interest in your new console at launch that chances are will sell out world wide even if it had no games.

Last edited by gregpolk; 15th April 2011 at 2:13 PM.
gregpolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2011, 2:22 PM   #15
TOFUGil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queenie View Post
ten bucks on skyward sword seeing twilight princess treatment and whatnot and another 10 on this console being the next gamecube or n64 followed by ninty's next revolution.

But but its in HD

well the fanboy in me got excited, hope its true that a new console is coming soon.

ASUS35M1-I Deluxe|1x 4GB DDR3|1x WD320GB + 2x 1TB WD | Seasonic X 650W |Fractal Design Define Mini
TOFUGil is offline   Reply With Quote