Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Game Consoles > Nintendo Consoles

Notices

Old 15th April 2011, 2:38 PM   #16
claf-43

Quote:
Originally Posted by proffesso View Post
supernintendo, n64, gamecube, gameboy advance, gameboy micro etc dont really strike me as revolutionary

ninendo got LUCKY with the Wii...thats all, they needed something else since they couldnt compete technically.

they will really have to be thinking outside the box on this new one...motion controls have been bettered by MS and Sony now, to the point of not needing a controller at all...
Pfffttt Ignore what would ruin your story?

The Gameboy?

The DS?

The original Nintendo?

And the 64 was revolutionary, 3D games coming the norm with a joystick.

They didn't get 'lucky', They arent some here today gone tomorrow company FFS.
claf-43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2011, 2:49 PM   #17
proffesso

Quote:
Originally Posted by claf-43 View Post
Pfffttt Ignore what would ruin your story?

The Gameboy?

The DS?

The original Nintendo?

And the 64 was revolutionary, 3D games coming the norm with a joystick.

They didn't get 'lucky', They arent some here today gone tomorrow company FFS.
i didnt ignore them, since i think they ARE good concepts. i listed all their NON revolutionary ones...as in, they arent always this groundbreaking company that transforms the industry with everything they release.

and anyway...lets break down their "revelutionary" ideas

gameboy - evolution of the handheld lcd game
DS - someone saw a PDA and thought "we can play games with that"
original nintendo "hey, this magnavox oddessy and atari 2600's are great...we should get in on that"

N64 - analogue joystick...been done as well

nothing revolutionary...its all evolutionary

what they did well, far better than anyone else, was market the devices correctly.
Old 15th April 2011, 2:54 PM   #18
Queenie

i'm pretty sure nintendo invented the bloody analogue joystiq for mario 64.
Old 15th April 2011, 3:01 PM   #19
Philll
(Taking a Break)

It's best not to argue with him, he'd be on the opposite side of his own argument if it suited him.

Compared to Sony and Microsoft Nintendo are miles ahead, forgive me if I think turning the graphics up to 11 with each console revision isn't revolutionary.
Philll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2011, 3:08 PM   #20
proffesso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philll View Post
It's best not to argue with him, he'd be on the opposite side of his own argument if it suited him.

Compared to Sony and Microsoft Nintendo are miles ahead, forgive me if I think turning the graphics up to 11 with each console revision isn't revolutionary.

at least you know i fight all angles...I dont like fanboyism

i just dont like terms thrown around like revolutionary etc...makes them sound far more important than they are.
Old 15th April 2011, 3:17 PM   #21
Philll
(Taking a Break)

I can't see how it's related to fanboism in any way. Regardless of how anyone thinks Nintendo did it, they introduced the Wii, something that had never been done before and it paid off.

Same for the DS if you'd played many games on it instead of referring to it as a PDA. I've had more fun on it in the last week than I have on my PSP in the past 2 years. The games suit the controls and it offers so many more gameplay options.

It's all subjective anyway, but I can count on one hand the leaps and bounds Sony + Microsoft have brought about. Graphics stay the same, games play as they did on the PS2/XBOX. Even the PS1 really.
Old 15th April 2011, 3:19 PM   #22
AthlonMan
(Banned or Deleted)

HD, incredible... what will they think of next.
AthlonMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2011, 3:29 PM   #23
proffesso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philll View Post
Same for the DS if you'd played many games on it instead of referring to it as a PDA. I've had more fun on it in the last week than I have on my PSP in the past 2 years. The games suit the controls and it offers so many more gameplay options.
i referred to the idea of a handheld+pen

what nintendo does, for me, is like what apple does...release a slick, polished product, that is not that techincally advanced, but relys on an existing tech taken where it hasnt been used (well) before.

so in so far as that...what do you think nintendo will do?

wii fit...done
wiimotes...done
kinect...done
3d...done
online/social...done

so your best bet is to look for existing tech that hasnt been put to great use yet...and try to extrapolate from there.

personally I think they will take the apple route...upgrade the Wii...refine the experience. because I dont really see any tech for a console (needs to connect to existing tv's...so no touchscreens/3d requirements) that is up and comming...bar one, and that was this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd3-eiid-Uw even thats been done...but not well enough yet...
Old 15th April 2011, 3:44 PM   #24
Philll
(Taking a Break)

You look at the idea and say 'done'.

Look at the gameplay on the two devices I mentioned. It's new and different, I find myself getting stuck because they do things that cannot be achieved on graphics powerhouses, and that's rare for me.

Is changing the way we play games not revolutionary when so many others are fearful of deviating from the safest path?

Even if it is evolutionary, it's a hell of a lot more interesting then anything else.

Also to those bringing it up, if they're supposedly calling it a Wii HD, why would they drop the motion controls?
Old 15th April 2011, 4:02 PM   #25
Queenie

i remember seeing that, it was pretty awesome.

Unfortunately he got snapped up by google and not nintendo
Old 15th April 2011, 4:42 PM   #26
gregpolk

I think the Wii HD title is pure speculation. Some say it's bollocks since they've never done a SNES2 or anything like that, but I think the history of DS, DSi, 3DS shows they're happy to keep a good thing going.

Edit: Apparently the controller is standard x360 like, but with a touch screen. If true, I like.

Anyway, give me a decent Zelda or Mario title at or close to launch and keep it below $500 and I'll see you at the shops on day one if it all shapes up to be true.

Last edited by gregpolk; 15th April 2011 at 5:44 PM.
gregpolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2011, 7:01 PM   #27
thebranded Thread Starter

yeah the actual console name is not known yet. so Wii HD, Wii 2 etc can be anything.

more news from kotaku (if you like them...)

Quote:
Furthermore, we’ve heard that the machine will be more powerful than current-gen systems, meaning Nintendo, currently backing a Wii that is weaker in horsepower than the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, will be showing a new console that is more powerful than those current competitors.
http://www.kotaku.com.au/2011/04/new...x-360-and-ps3/
thebranded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2011, 7:43 PM   #28
Grassy

Well of course it will be more powerful than PS3/Xbox 360 as they're running 5+ year old tech, I guess it just remains to be seen how far Nintendo push the system technically as the PS4/Xbox 720 will be out not long after it.

It will be backwards compatible with Wii games too apparently. My bet is it will still use motion control but it may not focus on it and still have a normal controller ala PS3/Xbox360.

Considering I don't own a Wii i'm pretty hyped by this news. Can't wait to see what the new Zelda/Mario/Metroid look like.
Old 15th April 2011, 8:10 PM   #29
Reaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregpolk View Post
I think the Wii HD title is pure speculation. Some say it's bollocks since they've never done a SNES2 or anything like that, but I think the history of DS, DSi, 3DS shows they're happy to keep a good thing going.

Edit: Apparently the controller is standard x360 like, but with a touch screen. If true, I like.

Anyway, give me a decent Zelda or Mario title at or close to launch and keep it below $500 and I'll see you at the shops on day one if it all shapes up to be true.
I's like to see the DS being a controller too, and for it to link with the wii to play the ds games on the big screen.

I have a feeling that 3d like the 3ds will be the hook this time.
_____|__||__|_____ ---||---------||---
Reaper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2011, 8:41 PM   #30
Grassy

Some more info:

Quote:
Sources have this morning confirmed reports that Nintendo has a successor to the Wii in the works, telling us that thirdparty studios including those of Ubisoft, Activision and Electronic Arts have had development units of the new hardware for months.
Source

One thing i'm interested to see is whether Nintendo goes with Blu Ray or their own disc format.