Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > Networking, Telephony & Internet

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 23rd March 2017, 11:34 AM   #16
evilasdeath

as far as i know doccis 3.0 does not have a 2mbit upload limit that is artificially limited because of the shared upstream channel

upstream goes to 45mbit and if the cable conditions are right supports bonding of up to 4 upstream bands ifs how many bands are assigned per cable segment etc that matter

as long as its designed correctly you can offer more on Doccis 3.0

in many cases i know for optus at least the cable distances etc do not allow for more than 1 upstream channel or they are not enabled
evilasdeath is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 23rd March 2017, 5:18 PM   #17
caspian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcyloo View Post
Yes - understand that. This is when DOCSIS 3.1 is implemented.
no, that is what is available right now.
Please do not contact me directly for advice on NBN related issues. Your ISP is the correct point of contact for any queries. If they can't or won't help, why are you rewarding them with your business?
caspian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2017, 9:44 AM   #18
dcyloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by caspian View Post
no, that is what is available right now.
Ok - so for clarification, when NBN takes over the HFC, it will immediately be DOCSIS 3.1 and all the standard NBN available NBN plans will come into effect.
I find it more and more difficult to purchase electronic consumer goods that are produced outside of China. All because of Kogan. They are the company who started all of this. Thank goodness for apple. I may get charged a fortune, but at least I know the goods are being made by happy, well paid workers.
I am disappointed in my life
dcyloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2017, 9:58 AM   #19
caspian

no, DOCSIS 3.1 will not go live until the future. you can get up to 100/40 now on the existing 3.0.
Please do not contact me directly for advice on NBN related issues. Your ISP is the correct point of contact for any queries. If they can't or won't help, why are you rewarding them with your business?

Last edited by caspian; 24th March 2017 at 10:05 AM.
caspian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2017, 10:04 AM   #20
dcyloo

Oh....

Good to know. Thank you for this clarification of information.
I find it more and more difficult to purchase electronic consumer goods that are produced outside of China. All because of Kogan. They are the company who started all of this. Thank goodness for apple. I may get charged a fortune, but at least I know the goods are being made by happy, well paid workers.
Old Yesterday, 2:08 PM   #21
Wolfje

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcyloo View Post
Yes - understand that. This is when DOCSIS 3.1 is implemented.

I've seen no statement anywhere that when NBN takes over the HFC that DOCSIS 3.1 will be immediately implemented. So I'm going on the suspicion that when NBN takes over the HFC, it'll remain DOCSIS 3.0 until they can roll out the 3.1 compatible modems to all the homes.

So while I understand that I can order a 100/40 connection, will it be an upload speed of 2mbps because they won't change the 3.0/1.8 DOCSIS specification that currently exists until they do a full 3.1 conversion?
I think you are incorrectly tieing the maximum upstream information rate with the layer 1 specification.

DOCSIS 3.0 specification states that CPE must support a minimum of 4 upstream channels at 64-QAM making the minimum upstream symbol rate of about 120Mbps - the 2Mbps is completely artificial from both HFC network providers. See here for a basic summary.

You shouldn't assume that the networks are going to be run in the same state as they are now, nor should you assume that the CPE you have will be the same as you get from an NBN access seeker. Even if it was, 8/4 is plenty enough room for your fat pipe.

The advertised PIR rates from an NBN HFC connection will be 100/40. I'd discount the semantics of pretty much everything else because it's irrelevant.
Wolfje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 2:40 PM   #22
T-O-D

Embercide,
Network "congestion" is unlikely to be NBN's fault, and probably an issue for the RSP you've selected (As Caspian has already mentioned).

In my own personal research, it appears that different RSP's do handle the CVC situation differently.

I've decided to avoid anything TPG for now (and Optus frankly), so instead of re-signing with iiNet, I'm going with Skymesh as they seem to be getting great reviews on whirlpool. I chose not to go with Telstra due to the cost basically.
Old Yesterday, 3:42 PM   #23
dcyloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfje View Post
You shouldn't assume that the networks are going to be run in the same state as they are now, nor should you assume that the CPE you have will be the same as you get from an NBN access seeker. Even if it was, 8/4 is plenty enough room for your fat pipe.
I wasn't assuming. I simply didn't know and therefore was asking questions.

My only experience with HFC has been only in the last couple of years when I've got a Telstra HFC connection to my property and getting 113/2 speeds. The stuff I read on the Internet doesn't come in a form which gave me clear understanding - hence the questions.

I never knew that DOCSIS 3.0 already allows for 100/40 speeds. My level of understanding came from "NBN would give us DOCSIS 3.1 which has a high enough bandwidth level that would guarantee the entire HFC deployment footprint a 100/40 if everyone wanted it in that suburb" thus the questions as to whether 3.1 would be deployed immediately or deployed as a 3.0 and then upgraded to 3.1 later.
Old Yesterday, 11:08 PM   #24
ir0nhide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Embercide View Post
I'm currently on Telstra cable, 100/2 and my suburb is due to change over to NBN (HFC) in a couple of months. We've already started to receive the junkmail from ISPs.

As most of my street/suburb would currently be on ADSL and will be pushed onto the cable I currently enjoy maxing out at any time day or night, i'm concerned i'll no longer get my full speeds.

In making the decision which ISP/plan to go with, can anyone shed some light on:
  1. Business plan contention vs Home plan contention - any difference? More Telecom claim to me that i'll experience the full 100/40 on their business plan
  2. Would you expect Telstra home plans to have more bandwidth per subscriber than the TPG's and the iinets, since its their cable?
  3. Any other recommendations?
1: Hah. Yeah right. ISPs don't differentiate on plans with consumer access, it all goes in the same bucket.
2: It's not their cable if it's NBN, and each ISP manages their CVC contention privately. You can't do better than anecdotes for performance, unfortunately.
3: Go with a major ISP. Or don't. Just whatever you do, don't complain, just churn until you find the least worst provider that suits your needs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomman View Post
I think you'll find the diggers would prefer he goes in marine uniform.
ir0nhide is offline   Reply With Quote