Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Software Topics > Other Operating Systems

Notices


Sign up for a free OCAU account and this ad will go away!
Search our forums with Google:
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 21st May 2017, 8:38 PM   #5791
flu!d
Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS
 
flu!d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 10,545
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sentinel View Post
Noe that mythbuntu is no more, how are you Ubuntu guys doing new frontend installs?
Just a vanilla Ubuntu with the myth packages?
That's all I was using...
__________________
Show us yer HTPC!

Dell T5500, Xeon X5675 Hex core @ 3.46Ghz max, 16GB RAM, GTX 670FTW, 60GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD OS drive, 2 x 1TB home/storage drives, Dual Acer V243HQ 1920 x 1080 monitors, Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS and loving it!
flu!d is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 22nd May 2017, 1:00 PM   #5792
daehenoc
Member
 
daehenoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Mt Gravatt E, BNE, QLD
Posts: 1,925
Default

Dragging up a post from a few pages ago:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyRax1 View Post
Note that new amps are so cheap these days and you'll usually get full HD-audio decoding capabilities in 7.1 too!
I saw one of these sell second hand for $100 today:
http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio.../htr/htr-3064/

So yeah, I will try to get something along similar lines Will simplify my AV setup!
daehenoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2017, 2:20 PM   #5793
theSeekerr
Member
 
theSeekerr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Prospect SA
Posts: 2,422
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sentinel View Post
Noe that mythbuntu is no more, how are you Ubuntu guys doing new frontend installs?
Just a vanilla Ubuntu with the myth packages?
I'd probably go one of the more lightweight distributions (Xubuntu, Lubuntu) but yeah.

Personally I haven't run a full frontend in a while, Kodi on a RasPi has been working well (but recorded TV is very much the secondary or tertiary purpose of that setup, most content comes from the video library).
__________________
Lucis+Umbra Blog - Photography by c.j. kerr
theSeekerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2017, 2:57 PM   #5794
The Sentinel
Member
 
The Sentinel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,745
Default

Yep ended up using xubuntu for that very reason. Couldn't change the default Ubuntu wm without it causing grief for Mythfrontend.
__________________
Facebook does for being social what Osama bin Laden did for Lower Manhattan Architecture.
The Sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2017, 11:45 AM   #5795
The Brad
Member
 
The Brad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Sydney, for now?
Posts: 4,936
Default

Hey peeps (commercial message here)

Would any of you who do use your Myth boxes for a lot of live TV recording be interested in reviewing the HDHomeRun Connect box which works really well with MythTV.

Have sent out 2 of these now to OCAU users who haven't come good with a review, so I am looking for someone who can deliver an informative and relevant review

Product in question if any of you haven't heard of it:
https://www.silicondust.com/product/hdhomerun-connect/
__________________
Brad Morton, otherwise known as The Brad

Addicted to folding club member #313 - i7/965/GTX260

Diablo 3: TheBrad#6547
The Brad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2017, 5:50 PM   #5796
cvidler
Member
 
cvidler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Canberra
Posts: 10,399
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Brad View Post
Hey peeps (commercial message here)

Would any of you who do use your Myth boxes for a lot of live TV recording be interested in reviewing the HDHomeRun Connect box which works really well with MythTV.

Have sent out 2 of these now to OCAU users who haven't come good with a review, so I am looking for someone who can deliver an informative and relevant review

Product in question if any of you haven't heard of it:
https://www.silicondust.com/product/hdhomerun-connect/
I already run two of those. but I'm no review writer. My only complaint is the 8-tuner one is so expensive. It'd suit my needs better (being rack mounted etc.).
__________________
We might eviscerate your arguments, but we won't hurt you. Honest! - Lucifers Mentor
⠠⠵
[#]
cvidler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2017, 5:59 PM   #5797
The Brad
Member
 
The Brad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Sydney, for now?
Posts: 4,936
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvidler View Post
I already run two of those. but I'm no review writer. My only complaint is the 8-tuner one is so expensive. It'd suit my needs better (being rack mounted etc.).
Yeah it isn't a consumer product, it is commercial multicast so it's in a different class. It is like 1/10th the cost of competing products in that space!
__________________
Brad Morton, otherwise known as The Brad

Addicted to folding club member #313 - i7/965/GTX260

Diablo 3: TheBrad#6547
The Brad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2017, 7:01 PM   #5798
theSeekerr
Member
 
theSeekerr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Prospect SA
Posts: 2,422
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Brad View Post
Hey peeps (commercial message here)

Would any of you who do use your Myth boxes for a lot of live TV recording be interested in reviewing the HDHomeRun Connect box which works really well with MythTV.

Have sent out 2 of these now to OCAU users who haven't come good with a review, so I am looking for someone who can deliver an informative and relevant review

Product in question if any of you haven't heard of it:
https://www.silicondust.com/product/hdhomerun-connect/
Is the EPG with the DVR service any good? I'm not really interested in using one with MythTV, but I'd consider using the DVR service instead of MythTV if the guide data was actually good.
__________________
Lucis+Umbra Blog - Photography by c.j. kerr
theSeekerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2017, 7:45 PM   #5799
treblid
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 266
Default



I'm running 3 HDHomeRuns from Kaiser Baas (sp?) in my MythTV setup for a while now. Think they are one and the same, but perhaps "connect" is a new model?

USB tuners gave me the shits but these HDRs are rock solid so far.

What kind of review are you looking for? MythTV specific? Can summarise in 3 words - they just work .

Too bad these days there's nothing to watch on FTA.
treblid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2017, 10:40 PM   #5800
The Brad
Member
 
The Brad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Sydney, for now?
Posts: 4,936
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by theSeekerr View Post
Is the EPG with the DVR service any good? I'm not really interested in using one with MythTV, but I'd consider using the DVR service instead of MythTV if the guide data was actually good.
It is very good now - we had a... Bumpy start and had to change providers. Lots of people over at WP helped us gain lots of data for the eventual solution. Plex is now exactly where we were at when we started. We're trying to help them but right now it is a bloody disaster.

I think there's still some things missing for me for DVR to be the gun we need it to be. That said I don't really know how it relates to MythTV because I have never really run a MythTV setup in anger.

Perhaps a HDHomeRun Connect review including DVR could be good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by treblid View Post
I'm running 3 HDHomeRuns from Kaiser Baas (sp?) in my MythTV setup for a while now. Think they are one and the same, but perhaps "connect" is a new model?
So the new model is a bunch easier to use but probably for the power user who is running Linux there may not be anything new or interesting. You have default apps now for Android, Windows, Mac, Linux which detect location and feed EPG data automatically, so setup is super quick. You can use DLNA to watch on iOS devices, Smart TVs, game consoles etc. There is a one-click Kodi plugin, which works really nicely. You can use Google Channels app on things like Nvidia Shield or Apple TV.

Other than that, it is the same rock-solid base that you know and love. I'm very glad that all the upgrades that came along keep getting fed back into the older units. They are certainly one of the most reliable products I've ever sold. My business only really sells commercial things but these are stable enough that we love selling them.
__________________
Brad Morton, otherwise known as The Brad

Addicted to folding club member #313 - i7/965/GTX260

Diablo 3: TheBrad#6547
The Brad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2017, 11:23 PM   #5801
theSeekerr
Member
 
theSeekerr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Prospect SA
Posts: 2,422
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Brad View Post
I think there's still some things missing for me for DVR to be the gun we need it to be. That said I don't really know how it relates to MythTV because I have never really run a MythTV setup in anger.
If you can think of stuff it's missing, those features are likely already in MythTV, but in a clunky form patched over by a shell script you found on a forum somewhere.
__________________
Lucis+Umbra Blog - Photography by c.j. kerr
theSeekerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:10 AM   #5802
The Brad
Member
 
The Brad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Sydney, for now?
Posts: 4,936
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by theSeekerr View Post
If you can think of stuff it's missing, those features are likely already in MythTV, but in a clunky form patched over by a shell script you found on a forum somewhere.
For me ffwd playback with audio is something I used a lot in MCE that isn't in DVR, but I have no idea if that is in MythTV... I'd assume it is.
__________________
Brad Morton, otherwise known as The Brad

Addicted to folding club member #313 - i7/965/GTX260

Diablo 3: TheBrad#6547
The Brad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:08 PM   #5803
theSeekerr
Member
 
theSeekerr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Prospect SA
Posts: 2,422
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Brad View Post
For me ffwd playback with audio is something I used a lot in MCE that isn't in DVR, but I have no idea if that is in MythTV... I'd assume it is.
Yes, a MythTV frontend will do that - big missing feature in Kodi, too.

I admit that I only used it for the worst of reasons - old TV shows (like, 70's and earlier) feel better paced by modern standards at 120%
__________________
Lucis+Umbra Blog - Photography by c.j. kerr
theSeekerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:11 PM   #5804
The Brad
Member
 
The Brad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Sydney, for now?
Posts: 4,936
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by theSeekerr View Post
I admit that I only used it for the worst of reasons - old TV shows (like, 70's and earlier) feel better paced by modern standards at 120%
I used it for Test Cricket, and introduction stuff to various TV shows, and repetitive segments etc.
__________________
Brad Morton, otherwise known as The Brad

Addicted to folding club member #313 - i7/965/GTX260

Diablo 3: TheBrad#6547
The Brad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 8:17 PM   #5805
tephra
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 443
Default

what are people doing for guide data?

i use shepherd, but the yahoo7widget has been failing, and oztivo refuses to get some channels, not sure why...
__________________
cd ~/signature; ./configure
tephra is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
htpc, mythtv

Sign up for a free OCAU account and this ad will go away!

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time now is 1:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
OCAU is not responsible for the content of individual messages posted by others.
Other content copyright Overclockers Australia.
OCAU is hosted by Micron21!