OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Science

Notices

Old 3rd June 2011, 5:53 PM   #46
[/\V3NG3R]

Quote:
Originally Posted by lothloriel View Post
Mate that is awesome

The same course i'm doing at uni! Of all my units the mtrx ones are on a completely different level of awesome.

Is your video analysis a static grid search for that specific cube's dimensions or can it dynamically detect the grid for whatever size cube you put in (i.e. depending on the size of the image from the camera)
Sydney? same degree...
Old 3rd June 2011, 6:09 PM   #47
lothloriel

Quote:
Originally Posted by [/\V3NG3R] View Post
Sydney? same degree...
At Sydney uni, mechatronics + compsci is my degree, in 3rd/5th year atm.
Old 3rd June 2011, 6:30 PM   #48
dohzer

Which 8bit micro did you use?
dohzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2011, 6:44 PM   #49
wizzard67

Reported on The Register in the UK as well
wizzard67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2011, 8:40 PM   #50
Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwulf View Post
Thats the first damn thing i saw too!

Whats the heatsink cooling OP?
We used a small but powerful solenoid to close the grippers however they get quite hot. The intel heatsinks happened to fit the profile of the solenoid perfectly and were the best choice as they are optimised for cooling with the larger surface area from the fins. We also wanted to keep the weight down so we used these as they were quite thin and light.

The solenoids were chosen because they can close the grippers ridiculously fast, around 50 times per second!

Last edited by Resident; 3rd June 2011 at 8:44 PM.
Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2011, 8:52 PM   #51
Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin13 View Post
And call me a prick but I'd love to give it a modified cube, where one of the centre edge pieces was rotated 180 degrees. Then see how long it'd take to drop into psychotic cybernetic convulsions trying to work out a non-solvable one.
Why do you think there is a cube around it? It needs to be contained when it goes crazy!
Just kidding, it can detect after scanning the six sides if it is an invalid cube straight away.
Old 4th June 2011, 2:30 AM   #52
Foliage

Is it possible to see the source code for this? I'm always interesting looking at the code for projects like this.

Certainly is very impressive, well done!
Old 4th June 2011, 11:59 AM   #53
dakiller Thread Starter
(Oscillating & Impeding)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoochems View Post
I am interested in your state space controller. Any more information?
I posted a picture of the control loop topology. The crux of it is that we measure the position, velocity (derived from the position) and current, apply a gain that we calculate to give the desired responce and with negative feedback, calculate a final error output, and that is what we output to the motors PWM driver. There was a small MATLAB script we made to calculate the gains to give a good step response to the system and a few fancy tricks to give only integer multiplications to the microcontroller that went in there as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constructacon View Post
Props to you for making this. There's no way that I could even contemplate making this.

You said you couldn't find a robot that could do it faster. Cubestormer can allegedly do sub 10 second solves..... and is made out of Lego. Not trying to take anything away from what you've done because it's bloody marvelous.
movie
The 10.69 time is on the slower end of what it will do, I don't know why the guy's didn't try a few more goes to get a faster time to post up. As it is now, there is a good second or so variance depending on how the cube is scrambled. When CH9 were in filming stuff, we pulled a 9.5sec run. Tweaks have been made to make it a bit more reliable, but this has slowed it down a bit too, last year we were doing 7.5-8second runs for the full scan and solve, and before we were doing that we were doing pre-programmed solutions that were 5.9 seconds. See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxFLfZBmmR0

Quote:
Originally Posted by dohzer View Post
Which 8bit micro did you use?
AVR mega1281, same one that is used in one of the Arduino's, though we were writing in straight C with gcc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foliage View Post
Is it possible to see the source code for this? I'm always interesting looking at the code for projects like this.

Certainly is very impressive, well done!
I don't know exactly what all the source code is that actually went into it, we had a repo and a lot of test code and different revisions were done and I was only really involved early on in the coding stuff and some of the others took over from there. I'll dig around it and see what I can find.
dakiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2011, 7:53 PM   #54
Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foliage View Post
I have a copy of all the micro code, PM me your email address and I'll send it across.
Old 4th June 2011, 7:55 PM   #55
Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakiller View Post
The 10.69 time is on the slower end of what it will do, I don't know why the guy's didn't try a few more goes to get a faster time to post up.
They basically stopped us once they got one that solved on camera. We wanted to try for a faster one but the filming people wanted to pack up
Old 4th June 2011, 11:48 PM   #56
checks202

I got to ask... Can you test it out with a bigger rubiks cube. Like one
that is 5 x5 cubes in size and post up a vid.

Id say the robot arms need modifying in such case but itd make the Jaw dropping factor far greater.

Really id say it would just test the limits on the software anything higher than 5. Itd be mega crazy.
Old 5th June 2011, 12:10 AM   #57
Whisper

Question

Am I imagining things, or are there several very noticeable pauses that if eliminated would reduce the time to solve the puzzle significantly?

If I am not imagining the pauses, what is the cause, and how would you go about solving the cause(s) if you had more funds?
There's something about philosophy that is at once humanising & utterly human. It's the court of last recourse. When the oracles have failed us, when the saints have grown silent & when god has chosen not to reveal himself. Then we stand back in the dark dark shadows of confusion & fear & ask, "What sort of being am I?" "What kind of life is right for me?" "& how should I govern, or be governed?"
Whisper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2011, 9:15 AM   #58
Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisper View Post
Am I imagining things, or are there several very noticeable pauses that if eliminated would reduce the time to solve the puzzle significantly?

If I am not imagining the pauses, what is the cause, and how would you go about solving the cause(s) if you had more funds?
They are caused by two things

First, in those videos it is being run from a netbook (all we had available at the time of filming) so it takes longer to process the algorithm.
It also is using a microsoft lifecam HD5000, which we have discovered is quite laggy. This means we have to stop the cube for a split second, wait, then take the photo. We used to run it from a logitech camera that was a lot faster and when we go for the official record we will have put a better camera on it.

Really, it should run at full speed the entire time and you should never see any pauses.
Old 5th June 2011, 9:17 AM   #59
Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by checks202 View Post
I got to ask... Can you test it out with a bigger rubiks cube. Like one
that is 5 x5 cubes in size and post up a vid.
Sorry, that would be an entire new project. Once you go more than 3 x 3 you need to be able to move the grippers towards and away from the cube to be able to move two rows at once.

I would love to see it to, maybe another final year group will do it?
Old 5th June 2011, 2:53 PM   #60
Cheep_Thrillz

This is nifty!
Did it drop the cube much when you were still developing/debugging it?
Did the cube ever get thrown very far?