Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Software Topics > Windows Operating Systems

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 17th June 2017, 5:43 PM   #5581
kogi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankari View Post
Tried that. I get nothing from headphones. I think my onboard audio is borked.
Killed the sound card on my compute stick as well. reverted and all is working well.
kogi is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 18th June 2017, 8:25 AM   #5582
i7Baby

reverted? To what?
Old 18th June 2017, 9:55 AM   #5583
kogi

Quote:
Originally Posted by i7Baby View Post
reverted? To what?
Windows 10 before creators update
kogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 9:45 AM   #5584
GDavid

Have a minor problem with my desktop icons being reset to 16:9 from my native 21:9 after "low power/standby" (?) mode. Likely drivers? Or anyone have any other ideas?
GDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:22 PM   #5585
mareke

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDavid View Post
Have a minor problem with my desktop icons being reset to 16:9 from my native 21:9 after "low power/standby" (?) mode. Likely drivers? Or anyone have any other ideas?
I've found that hibernation mode rather than standby mode is less likely to cause problems because the previous state of the computer is restored from memory.

I use a program called Desktop OK (see the link below) to restore desktop icons if they change as happens with Windows 7 if I switch between computers using a single monitor. The program might restore the icons to the right size if you can't find a solution. It only takes 2 clicks of a mouse to restore the desktop and minimise the program to the icons in the taskbar.

http://www.softwareok.com/?seite=Freeware/DesktopOK
mareke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 2:08 PM   #5586
BlueRaven

I woke up the other morning to find all my desktop icons jammed up on the left side of the screen again, as happens after changing to and from a lower res.
Was fine when I went to bed, I hadn't been messing with desktop res or other monitors, and the machine wasn't sitting at a login prompt when I woke up as would be the case after an update.

I can't believe Windows STILL doesn't have a "Save/Restore/Favourite Desktop Icon Positions" function built in.
Surely it couldn't be too hard to add a routine which writes that data into a section of the desktop.ini (or wherever) and then backs up that file prior to any messing about with the desktop, to make reverting nice and easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mareke View Post
I've found that hibernation mode rather than standby mode is less likely to cause problems because the previous state of the computer is restored from memory.

I use a program called Desktop OK (see the link below) to restore desktop icons if they change as happens with Windows 7 if I switch between computers using a single monitor. The program might restore the icons to the right size if you can't find a solution. It only takes 2 clicks of a mouse to restore the desktop and minimise the program to the icons in the taskbar.

http://www.softwareok.com/?seite=Freeware/DesktopOK
It really shouldn't make any difference whether you're restoring from standby/sleep or hibernate.
Sleep saves/restores the OS state using RAM, hibernate writes it out to/reads it back from disk. In theory they should work identically.
In theory. In practice, I always found sleep to be more reliable, at least it is on my Win7 notebook. I don't have a Win10 portable to compare it with.
It also depends on how long you're leaving the machine in that suspended state for. Hibernate should certainly be more reliable if you're talking "days at a time".

I'll have a look at DesktopOK, sounds ideal. Thanks.

Last edited by BlueRaven; Today at 2:17 PM.
BlueRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 6:38 PM   #5587
GDavid

Thanks OCAU!
GDavid is offline   Reply With Quote