OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Musicians

Notices

Old 19th June 2017, 10:43 AM   #4621
broccoli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radley View Post
I've decided that I need a Les Paul
Is it bad form to ask what colour you'd like?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankari View Post
I expected this to be bad, but they really put the effort in and took it to a whole new level of atrocious.
broccoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2017, 10:49 AM   #4622
Radley

Quote:
Originally Posted by broccoli View Post
Is it bad form to ask what colour you'd like?
Either heritage or light cherry burst or white with black binding/gold hardware.
6800K | ASUS X99 ROG Strix | 32Gb G.Skill Trident Z 3200MHz | GTX1080 ROG Strix | Samsung 512Gb M.2 NVMe | Razer Leviathan | ASUS Xonar Essence STX | Seasonic X-750 PSU | Enthoo Primo | Custom water loop | 2 x Dell U2713H
[ Intel Owners Club Member [#93]
$3830 in sales on OCAU.
Radley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2017, 7:08 PM   #4623
atmo

New toys...

The plan is to use the midi features in the ES-8 to control the Mobius, DD500 and switching for the JVM410H.
atmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2017, 4:19 PM   #4624
alexb618

very nice! you seem like quite an advanced player...

we should have a pedalboard thread
Old 27th June 2017, 10:10 AM   #4625
Fireblade

Quote:
Sounds great. I've really got to sell my Zoom G5 and move to individual pedals but I'm only a bedroom warrior and I'm not hugely fussed.

I've decided that I need a Les Paul as I've been dying to get one for at least 15 years, so I've set myself a goal of buying a 2017 Gibson Les Paul Standard, or if I can find a good second hand one with 60's neck I'd be keen on that too.
And yes I don't care about the other brands that make LP style guitars, or other so called better guitars at a similar price.
Just don't buy one without playing it for a bit. They would have to be the most inconsistent guitars on the planet.

"I wish I could travel to the store, buy a Ronnie James Dio, and install it in my throat" - Paul Gilbert
Fireblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2017, 1:54 PM   #4626
Radley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireblade View Post
Just don't buy one without playing it for a bit. They would have to be the most inconsistent guitars on the planet.
Care to expand? I'm aware of the different neck shapes, but they shouldn't change much between the models (studio, trad, standard etc) for each year.

There's no way I'd order one online, but unfortunately I'm in Coffs and there's no good guitar shops here so I have to go to Melbourne or Sydney. I'll probably just bite the bullet and fly to Melbourne to go to Gallins since they're the importers.
6800K | ASUS X99 ROG Strix | 32Gb G.Skill Trident Z 3200MHz | GTX1080 ROG Strix | Samsung 512Gb M.2 NVMe | Razer Leviathan | ASUS Xonar Essence STX | Seasonic X-750 PSU | Enthoo Primo | Custom water loop | 2 x Dell U2713H
$3830 in sales on OCAU.
Old 27th June 2017, 3:02 PM   #4627
Fireblade

You can play 5 LP Standards off the same rack and 4 of them aren't that great.

"I wish I could travel to the store, buy a Ronnie James Dio, and install it in my throat" - Paul Gilbert
Old 27th June 2017, 6:15 PM   #4628
Boneman

And the 5th one will have some kind of fretwork issue.
Boneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2017, 7:13 PM   #4629
Radley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneman View Post
And the 5th one will have some kind of fretwork issue.
Strange considering the frets are levelled by some crazy machine on the standards...

I've got a big feeling there's a lot of hate towards Gibsons from people that haven't played many.
$3830 in sales on OCAU.
Old 27th June 2017, 7:23 PM   #4630
Boneman

PLEK machines are still at the mercy of their operators. Gibson is a tradition for sure, but its not the same company who made the classics like Greeny.

Ive played many Gibbies in store, but ESP fretwork on Navigators and even the Edwards LPs is much more consistent.
Boneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2017, 7:30 PM   #4631
Radley

I would argue that even the quality of some of the Korean guitars coming out these days (PRS SE, Champan, LTD and many others) are fantastic quality given the price. It all comes down to feel though. Some people go mad for the '59 necks but they're too fat for me. I was playing a Les Paul back in 2002 and it was just incredible, but I have no idea what model or year it was!
I don't believe the fucking glue has an effect on the tone though, or the paint. Some people are just mad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perko View Post
So I've had my NGD, the pickup serials lead me to conclude that it's a 1979 LPS-100, it has the 100 stamped on the back of the headstock, and the pickups were manufactured in September '78. They were still manufacturing the LC series at Kasuga prior to '79.
Isn't the bridge on backwards?
$3830 in sales on OCAU.

Last edited by Radley; 27th June 2017 at 7:37 PM.
Old 28th June 2017, 7:44 AM   #4632
Fireblade

Korean and Indonesian made guitars are fantastic bang for the buck.

Old 28th June 2017, 8:05 AM   #4633
broccoli

Don't you always need to have a "fiddle" setup done after you buy a new quitar? The shop I bought from includes that initial setup with the purchase (do they all do that?). How can you assess the quality/whether there's something wrong or "not good" as opposed to it needing to be fiddled with?

tldr: what's the diff between a "bad" instrument and one that needs proper setup?
Quote:
I expected this to be bad, but they really put the effort in and took it to a whole new level of atrocious.
Old 28th June 2017, 8:41 AM   #4634
Perko

Quote:
Isn't the bridge on backwards?
Yeah, those photos were taken before I did anything with it. It's in getting fret dressed at the moment, whoever had it previously to the guy who I bought it off pretty much just played open chords on it, the nitro's worn off behind the first to third fret, and the fret wear was inconsistent. Usual old guitar stuff. Adds to the character and feel, as they say.

Quote:
Strange considering the frets are levelled by some crazy machine on the standards...

I've got a big feeling there's a lot of hate towards Gibsons from people that haven't played many.

The PLEK manufacturers have some... Grievances with Gibson on this. They also changed the way that they do their fret nibs quite a while ago, that often leaves a noticeable gap between the end of the fret and the nib, as well as often making them just look at bit ratty.

I've found the opposite, people who haven't played many, (or any), Gibsons are their most ardent defenders in my circles. I've played dozens, probably approaching 100, and I would certainly never buy one new, although I always have an eye out for a decent second hand SG or 335. The best ones that I've played from a construction and finish POV have all been SGs, the only really decent LPs have been approaching the same age as my Navigator. It isn't a matter of "so-called" better guitars, people were always going to start looking further afield with the QA and production decisions that Gibson have made over the last 15-20 years. Not to mention things out of their control, such as having the EPA and others up their arse over wood species and imports that can give builders in other countries a competitive advantage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by broccoli View Post
Don't you always need to have a "fiddle" setup done after you buy a new quitar? The shop I bought from includes that initial setup with the purchase (do they all do that?). How can you assess the quality/whether there's something wrong or "not good" as opposed to it needing to be fiddled with?

tldr: what's the diff between a "bad" instrument and one that needs proper setup?
If you go to a shop, they would be mad to not have them set up perfectly on display, and if they said "I'll grab a boxed up one from out the back" that you hadn't played, you'd be mad for accepting.

Online used trading is ok once you get into the higher end gear, because if you shop wisely, and don't be scared to bargain reasonably hard, you're not going to lose a lot on resale in the quest for "the one". You only really get rekt when you buy new and sell second hand if you don't like it.
Main: Corsair 600C/Enermax Platimax 850/MSI X99A SLI Plus/i7-5820k @ 4GHz/Be Quiet! Silent Loop 280mm AIO/Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz Low Profile/Galax GTX 1080 EXOC/Creative SB-Z + Beyer T70/Samsung 950 Pro 512GB + 1TB Caviar Black/Win 10 Pro/MK Fission - MX Whites/Mionix Naos 3200/AOC AGON AG271QG
Perko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2017, 8:51 AM   #4635
broccoli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perko View Post
they would be mad to not have them set up perfectly on display
They might, but when there are hundreds and all sorts of customers can mess with them, wouldn't that be impracticable? Anyway, I suppose experience musos have a better chance of recognising the wheat from chaff than I do, I'm just interested in learning as much as I can.
Quote: