Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > Business & Enterprise Computing

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 17th May 2016, 10:15 AM   #241
xcessive303

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSanity View Post
All Flash array? How many TB?

Are you EDU/Gov?
We have 50TB's on our flash array, finance sector. 250TB's of tiered storage.
xcessive303 is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 17th May 2016, 10:21 AM   #242
xcessive303

Quote:
Originally Posted by millennia View Post
Used it for over 2 years in production, run our cloud platform on it. For us the main points are simplicity, ease of upgrade, and reliability. Performance is good but you need a good idea of your working set size for SSD sizing or moving to hybrid from all flash is unlikely to benefit you (unless your all flash is over engineered and in fact you don't need it).

Ignore benchmark comparisons, they are so often bullshit and unrepresentative of a live environment. Get a PoC unit and run a proper workload on it, and make sure you test everything - take the opportunity to find out just what you need to do to break it before you have live data on it!

I've never come across anybody moving from what sounds like an up to date infrastructure with an all flash array to hyper converged, although I'm sure Nutanix would love the story.

Nutanix is now available a number of flavours of hardware, their own brand (SuperMicro), Dell, Lenovo, and probably UCS at some point as Cisco appear to want to be everywhere at once these days.
Thanks for the info. The issue we are having is getting Nutanix to provide a PoC so there will be no way of comparing the performance to our flash array. The only benefit I can see is the reduced latency due to local disk versus fiber channel. I know there are benefits around ease of management but this is not something we are really lacking at the moment. I can't see us losing out on any features that our current storage infrastructure already provides including stretched vmware clusters.
Old 17th May 2016, 10:38 AM   #243
NSanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcessive303 View Post
We have 50TB's on our flash array, finance sector. 250TB's of tiered storage.
You sir, are not Nutanix's market.
NSanity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2016, 1:10 PM   #244
xcessive303

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSanity View Post
You sir, are not Nutanix's market.
x86 takes up a much smaller percentage of that, the rest is for power systems. The primary workload we run on x86 is Citrix XenApp farm and know they had a Citrix validated solution for Nutanix. Even so, I think you are right in that it is not the right fit for our environment.
Old 19th May 2016, 3:05 PM   #245
DrCarlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcessive303 View Post
Thanks for the info. The issue we are having is getting Nutanix to provide a PoC so there will be no way of comparing the performance to our flash array. The only benefit I can see is the reduced latency due to local disk versus fiber channel. I know there are benefits around ease of management but this is not something we are really lacking at the moment. I can't see us losing out on any features that our current storage infrastructure already provides including stretched vmware clusters.
Full disclosure - I lead the SE team at Nutanix here in ANZ.

I am keen to see how we can help you see first hand how our platform could support your workload. I will try to reach out to you via a direct message so we can chat further.

Edit... I have to win some kind of award for lurking. Signed up in 2003.. first post!
DrCarlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2017, 12:09 PM   #246
Falkor

So is anyone running Nutanix in production currently?

I'm looking to upgrade a View VDI environment and a vendor is pitching it to me, I've been watching HCI from the sides for a while now and it seems mature enough now to make the jump and from what I've seen there are some big advantages.

Just wanting to get some real world opinions from people who are using it and have made the migration from a standard 3 tier architecture.

Last edited by Falkor; 27th March 2017 at 12:12 PM.
Falkor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2017, 12:59 PM   #247
diomedes

Quote:
I have been running Nutanix for the past 3 years, started with 3 nodes and grew it out as we migrated all our workloads over to it. We started with VDI, but it now has everything on it.

Just before Xmas last year I also upgraded our VDI environment on it from Nvidia Grid 1.0 to 2.0 using newer Tesla cards to unlock vGPU in Horizon 7.

Quite happy to give your a call etc to have a chat if you are interested mate. We are extremely happy with Nutanix and have no desire to change it.
diomedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2017, 1:06 PM   #248
sammy_b0i

Went to a Nutanix preso the other week. Sounds like good stuff, but it's features are above our needs at the moment.

We have HCI already using Simplivity (who were just bought out by HPE) and that's doing well for us with four boxes.
OCAU is a breeding ground for hyper-moralistic 13 year olds who've never stepped out of the computer room in their entire life. Young liberals, young labor, people who will grow old and die before they ever think about pulling their head out.
sammy_b0i is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2017, 3:50 PM   #249
aza2001

anyone running nutanix for some fairly large database I/O loads, and RDS environments?

we have about 25-30vms we plan on buying approx 5 nodes,

we have about 4 RDS and a number of large database servers, we did spec these servers with a large amount of ram,, large SSD but yet to go down the POC path.

we are coming from an equallogic environment, so I am presuming we should see some form boost coming from our older products
[Shuttle Owners Club Member #2 Shuttle: SN25P]
[Apple Mac Owners Club Member & Founder #1 Mac & Spec's: G5 1.6, 200 & 80GIG HDD 1GIG RAM]

Do u think that my video card or my CPU has anything to do with my ping times, in this place? http://www.duk0r.net/matrix/matrix8.php
aza2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2017, 7:17 PM   #250
millennia

Quote:
Originally Posted by aza2001 View Post
anyone running nutanix for some fairly large database I/O loads, and RDS environments?

we have about 25-30vms we plan on buying approx 5 nodes,

we have about 4 RDS and a number of large database servers, we did spec these servers with a large amount of ram,, large SSD but yet to go down the POC path.

we are coming from an equallogic environment, so I am presuming we should see some form boost coming from our older products
We are running approx 112 VMs across 8 nodes of varying sizes. One of the applications is a 500 user RDSH farm, running on two VMs with 32GB or RAM each. Runs like a breeze. We have some big SQL Servers also, and the only caveat I'd issue is to make sure the Working Set Size of your SQL operations fits comfortably on the SSD layer and you'll have no problems.

Also switch on inline compression for the container containing the databases but make sure dedupe is switched OFF for this container. Dedupe has minimal effect on SQL Server data but increases overhead, but compression actually speeds things up as more data fits in cache. I've not noticed inline compression be detrimental to performance.

Any databases not used for a while will migrate to the HDD cold layer, and then you'll get latency on first use, which will drop as the data comes back onto the SSD layer. If you need all databases to instantly respond even after not being used for a week then all flash is the best option.
millennia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2017, 3:52 PM   #251
CordlezToaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falkor View Post

I'm looking to upgrade a View VDI environment and a vendor is pitching it to me, I've been watching HCI from the sides for a while now and it seems mature enough now to make the jump and from what I've seen there are some big advantages.

Just wanting to get some real world opinions from people who are using it and have made the migration from a standard 3 tier architecture.
Hi,

Have been running it for 4 years Zero issues. We run a mixture of VDI and Servers across 3 nodes.

We are about to implement 4 new nodes in the next couple of weeks to replace the ageing infrastructure at another site.

I highly recommend it!
CordlezToaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2017, 8:54 AM   #252
QuakeDude
ooooh weeee ooooh

SO.. I no nothing about this product, but can I ask - are all the internal components named after Greek Mythology gods?

Just heard about a guy who was on the training course (and was a devout christian) having to go to HR to complain about being forced to learn the history of Greek Mythology to understand the component relationships
QuakeDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2017, 9:19 AM   #253
closed_gate

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakeDude View Post
SO.. I no nothing about this product, but can I ask - are all the internal components named after Greek Mythology gods?
It's all here.
http://nutanixbible.com/#anchor-cluster-components-53
closed_gate is offline   Reply With Quote