Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Musicians

Notices

Old 7th October 2017, 9:59 PM   #1
Madmaximus Thread Starter

Default Which USB Audio Interface?

So, for a PC, what's an inexpensive (non-junk) USB Audio Interface. I have a $20 Chinese one I got 10 years ago and never used, but I'm thinking it might put me off the whole experience

I know nothing about them so I thought I'd learn on the go with my good friend utube

Prolly just guitar and mic going in. I think all pedals and drum machines amps would be emulated inside the PC with the usual freeware (for now) software?

I was looking at a Focusrite Scarlett Solo Gen 2, which looks like a good choice, but as I said, I know SFA about this stuff.

Any advice appreciated.
Madmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2017, 2:04 PM   #2
Raykay

Is firewire an option for you? I have a focusrite audio interface but it's firewire only!
Raykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2017, 4:49 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raykay View Post
Is firewire an option for you? I have a focusrite audio interface but it's firewire only!
Is it bad if I say I have no idea if firewire is an option for me or not? Lol. I know I've never used firewire for anything, but I'm not really sure if my computer is setup for it or not. I'll need to hang upside down off the desk to check with a flashlight, or dig in the shed for a manual.

I'm thinking firewire would prolly mean less latency?
Old 8th October 2017, 5:27 PM   #4
alexb618

i use a fairly basic m-audio m-track unit. was about $100, never needed anything more than that.

sounds like it will do exactly what you want.
Old 8th October 2017, 7:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexb618 View Post
i use a fairly basic m-audio m-track unit. was about $100, never needed anything more than that.

sounds like it will do exactly what you want.
I think I've seen a few of them and they seem similar to what I mentioned above? I might have to do some reading of the different models.
Old 9th October 2017, 8:52 AM   #6
alexb618

you can definitely run a guitar and mic at the same time with the m-track that i have. a couple of years ago i was using guitar rig to do exactly what you are trying to do, i don't know what other software is out there now but it all worked well for me.
Old 9th October 2017, 9:56 AM   #7

The more I read the bigger a headache I get.

The focusrite one I mentioned above seems the "easier" option. It shows the sound levels with the LEDs and whatnot and it has the "normal" (to me) cable inputs and I think comes with good software and DAWs - what ever they are...lol.

Other units I'm not so sure of and I presume I have to buy different cables (XL1 or something?) for them . I'm thinking they must record better?

Anyways, I'm not sold on anything yet, but it all seems to be coming back to money and how much I can spend right now as I drown in debt...lol.

Going to take a panadol and do more reading later, though I'm starting to think that's just making it worse.
Old 9th October 2017, 2:23 PM   #8
alexb618

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmaximus View Post
The more I read the bigger a headache I get.

The focusrite one I mentioned above seems the "easier" option. It shows the sound levels with the LEDs and whatnot and it has the "normal" (to me) cable inputs and I think comes with good software and DAWs - what ever they are...lol.

Other units I'm not so sure of and I presume I have to buy different cables (XL1 or something?) for them . I'm thinking they must record better?

Anyways, I'm not sold on anything yet, but it all seems to be coming back to money and how much I can spend right now as I drown in debt...lol.

Going to take a panadol and do more reading later, though I'm starting to think that's just making it worse.
i can send you my mtrack if you want to borrow it to see if it suits... definitely want to get it back though!
Old 9th October 2017, 2:29 PM   #9
GumbyNoTalent

https://www.amazon.com/Behringer-302.../dp/B005EHILV4
GumbyNoTalent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2017, 6:20 PM   #10
Loop Goose

Arrow

I have a Focusrite Scarlett Solo Gen 2 sitting on my desk doing nothing, that I was planning to sell on OCAU in the near future. I used it for a while, and it worked great, but I wanted an ever so slightly warmer sound, so have moved to the Universal Audio Apollo Twin USB. There is a huge price difference, but overall they sound quite similar to me. The Apollo Twin has more gain headroom than the Focusrite.

If you sign up to the Focusrite newsletter and register a product with them, each month they give random VSTs and synths away for free, and discounts on others. I picked up a copy of Addictive Synths which sounds great, along with a whole bunch of other fx filters and parametric equalizers.

The Universal Audio deal is a bit different. You buy an interface, and it includes a certain amount of DSP processing power. You can then load in different modules based on the amount of DSP computing power they use, and can purchase additional units to boost processing power, or change to better plugins that are more efficient.

I only use mine for making electronic music, playing games etc, but both units worked well for me.

bendrury.com.au
Loop Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2017, 7:44 PM   #11
Ethan W

Chiming in - I have a focusrite 2i4 that works well. Really low latency for amp sims (bias) and live monitoring of microphones.

The solo and 2i2 should be just as good, but with fewer in/outputs.

The coloured signal LED rings are handy if you change guitars a lot and want to avoid clipping on higher gain pickups.

Steam: [OCAU] Ethan | FFXIV: Courteous Bear (Tonberry)
Ethan W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2017, 8:16 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raykay View Post
I tried hanging upside down from my desk and looking but there was a port hidden behind some USB cables I couldn't see. I did, however finally found my manual and no firewire.

Alexb618, thank you for that incredibly kind offer. If I can't make headway on a choice I might take you up on it, but for now I'll rely on reading and reviews to choose.

Ethan W, the colored LED rings are what actually peaked my interest after seeing them in a review. I suppose a LED level meter would be more handy, but I'd never seen that kind of thing before so I really thought it was cool.

Loop Goose, PM on the way. And I haven't heard anything (too) bad about the Focusrite brand/people so I'm definitely tilted that way. The newsletter deal seems a typical example of why people like them so much. A company doing good by their customers isn't so easy to find these days.
Old 9th October 2017, 8:20 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by GumbyNoTalent View Post
Can you plug a guitar and mic in that?
Old 9th October 2017, 10:09 PM   #14
Ethan W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmaximus View Post
Can you plug a guitar and mic in that?
Yes, but you'll get terrible latency, which is a big no-no for amp sims and live monitoring. Dedicated interface>USB mixer.

Steam: [OCAU] Ethan | FFXIV: Courteous Bear (Tonberry)
Ethan W is offline   Reply With Quote