Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Manufacturer-specific Forums > Apple Desktop Hardware/Software

Notices

Old 10th October 2017, 2:48 PM   #16
deepspring Thread Starter

I've had a chance to use my laptop more today than most, and it is so unstable. Just using LibreOffice and Affinity Designer was enough to stop the computer for up to five minutes each time. Evening changing tabs in Chrome can result in a "hang".
Old 10th October 2017, 4:01 PM   #17
[KEi]SoVeReIgN

One bad experience on one laptop that may (or may not) be OS upgrade related and the guidance is no one should upgrade?

Pretty ridiculous.
[KEi]SoVeReIgN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2017, 4:22 PM   #18
giles666

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepspring View Post
Thanks

I use Affinity Designer as well, but I still miss some of the neat features in Illustrator like the feature complete pen tool and rotated duplicates (automagically placing items around a circle - ie. clock face).

I haven't tried Affinity Photo, I mostly use Lightroom.
I dont know that you mean about the feature complete pen tool, but I think Power Duplicate does the rotated duplicates you are after.
giles666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2017, 9:48 AM   #19
Azrael

Right, well time to not upgrade then. Glad i checked.

Annoyingly on my Sierra install my Adobe products are all now showing up as non-Genuine, despite calling Adobe several times and getting confirmations that they are genuine. Gah.
Azrael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2017, 9:57 AM   #20
elvis
Old school old fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by giles666 View Post
Bit of a learning curve, but once you're passed that they do all the same things.
100% agreed for all software. Operating systems too.
elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2017, 6:32 AM   #21
AfterBurner1

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis View Post
I don't expect many "regular users" would ever want to touch a beta. And that's fine.

But I'd expect someone as big and as well funded as Adobe to be using their expensive developer accounts to get their software ready for a new OS ahead of time, and be communicating with said OS developer to ensure a smooth transition for their combined customer base.

I too am waiting for APFS. HFS+ is ancient, and worryingly destructive of information.

The industry I work in forces checksums of large multimedia files when transferred between systems. Of the dozen or so production filesystems we have in place, guess which is responsible for more wasted time due to failed data transfers than any other? Yup, HFS+. It needs to die.

I'll be pushing hard for APFS as our new standard very soon. But for that to happen, I also need my production Adobe applications to work first, otherwise there's little point in the move.

Tapping my fingers, waiting for my vendors to get their shit together. As usual.
True HFS+ is well past it's usefulness but APFS is not going to be much better. they should have gone for a solution close to ZFS and really put the wind up their Dev Teams to make it a rock solid release Day one. (y'know like they used to)

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis View Post
Our problem is it doesn't work with a huge volume of Adobe applications and features. But that's no surprise - this happens every single time.

We generally don't roll out until .1 or even .2. It seems third party developers don't actually use their developer accounts nor beta access any more.
Agreed I Never Migrate until .2 release usually due to the security patches they missed in the first round.

Speaking of Which I believe 10.13.2 should already be out at present. now to see if there is a way i can use a third party tool to manually backup my system for my migration from Yosemite.
AfterBurner1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2017, 7:27 AM   #22
elvis
Old school old fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfterBurner1 View Post
True HFS+ is well past it's usefulness but APFS is not going to be much better. they should have gone for a solution close to ZFS and really put the wind up their Dev Teams to make it a rock solid release Day one. (y'know like they used to)
APFS is a CoW filesystem. The major feature missing compared to ZFS is block level checksums. And while that's certainly a big deal, APFS is indeed "much better" than HFS+, for a hundred different reasons.

We've discussed it in great detail here:
http://forums.overclockers.com.au/sh....php?t=1195906
elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2017, 11:00 AM   #23
Azrael

Anyone testing 10.13.2?
Azrael is offline   Reply With Quote