Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > Retro & Arcade

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 14th July 2017, 1:54 PM   #5431
Matthew kane

I had some of the 5000 chipset dual xeon boards years ago. Pita to setup if you don't have existing server hardware due to them requiring specific socket 771 server formfactor coolers (Dynatron or ones from OEM's). Not worth playing around unless you have coolers for the boards as mentioned.
Intel i7 3960X @ 4.7GHZ - Noctua NH-D14 | 16GB OCZ Platinum Series DDR3 1600MHZ | Asus Rampage IV Extreme (4901 bios) | Zotac AMP! Edition GTX 980 Ti | PNY GTX 465 unlocked to 470 | Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatality Pro with LME47920's opamps | OCZ Vertex 3 240GB | OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB| 1TB WD Black, 2TB WD Green, 4 x 2TB Seagate LP | Enermax Revolution 85+ 1250watt | Antec P280 + Veris Elite | LG BD Rewriter
Matthew kane is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 15th July 2017, 1:34 AM   #5432
adz Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krumm View Post
Looking at pickup up an old server dual xeon with a S5000VSA board just to play around with, but I haven't had any experience with these. Besides needing fully buffered DDR2 which I'd need to get some of are there any other pitfalls or required hardware to watch out for to get these up and running?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew kane View Post
I had some of the 5000 chipset dual xeon boards years ago. Pita to setup if you don't have existing server hardware due to them requiring specific socket 771 server formfactor coolers (Dynatron or ones from OEM's). Not worth playing around unless you have coolers for the boards as mentioned.
I have RAM and CPU coolers should you need them, I also have a few different matched 771 CPU's if you're interested.

Victoria - The $afety State
adz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2017, 5:09 PM   #5433
BuuBox

Posted off an old phone collection I had...

Click to view full size!

Back when new models weren't just incremental updates!
BuuBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2017, 11:57 PM   #5434
callan

As alluded to earlier I started a new slow-burn experiment/project today: Just for shits'n'giggles converting a 1541 to use a track zero sensor. Apart from the reliability aspect it's just an interesting intellectual exercise. Don't ask why: just two dogs.
It will take quite some time due to some necessary "staged holds" so I'll just lob things in this thread as they happen.

The 1541C (which is actually designated 1541B) firmware supports the sensor, which can be enabled with a jumper. Both the "B" controller board and firmware have design flaws which made it a pretty crap drive. There were bit density zone bugs, T0 switch detection bugs and other nasties, and the cost-reduced controller used a monolithic to reduce component counts that was inferior and unreliable.

The drive I've chosen is a "1541C" which is actually a straight 1541 in a white case, Newtronics drive and a slightly updated native 1541 controller board. Not to be confused with the 1541-II. Confused? Yeah - so am I.

There is an IMPROVED 1541 C(I mean B) version of the firmware which fixes most of the bugs (And the infamous "Save@replace bug" that trashed directories), but poses problems as there are changes in the LOWER and UPPER 8K ROM address ranges. Not a problem with the 1541C as it uses a single 16K ROM, but the native 1541 uses 2 8K ROMS. So I need to split the ROM images, have 2 burned and handle them both. Handling ROM checksums, ROM switching and hacking the JiffyDOS ROM (in 6502 assembly) to handle the altered setup, whilst maintaining compatibility (which means jumping to patch tables in a VERY CROWDED ROM). At least the source code was recently discovered

The native 1541 board is also lacking the necessary logic. I need a pair of inverters and there's only a single inverter spare: a 74LS04 is the most convenient.
I HATE using "dead-bug" hacks: they look awful and unprofessional, and they are every bit as reliable as they look.

THERE though I've been lucky, as unlike the classic 1540 shortboard the later rev. 1541 board I'm using has a couple of unpopulated 14 pin solder pads with most pins unconnected. After a bit of track-tracing I determined that I could drop a 74LS04 Hex (6way) inverter in, and have 4 inverters available.

So I removed pins 1-4 from a milled-pin socket, fitted it, and installed the 75LS04. With Ground/VCC on pins 7 & 14 that leaves 4 input/output pairs active: more than I need
If you look closely at the image below you can see that the bottom left 4 pins don't have any metal contacts, remaining unconnected. The board actually routes them to the clock circuitry so I don't want them interfering. (full res image HERE - sorry it's a bit flakey - took it with my phone)

That's as far as I got today: if I get some time tomorrow I'll work on the analogue side: powering the LED and hooking up the optical sensor. There's a small debounce circuit which I'll probably mount on the sensor board, but I haven't quite worked out the best way to do that. It's only an R/C circuit, so it can go pretty much anywhere.

Then gettings the ROM images done. That'll be fun, but least I can (mostly) test them out in VICE - a software emulator.

All a total and utter waste of productive time

Callan

edit: just noticed I should fit a decoupling cap in the provided pass-through solder pads

"I don't like this internet thing anymore, can we have the old version back please?" - BlueRaven

Last edited by callan; 18th July 2017 at 12:16 AM.
callan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2017, 11:22 PM   #5435
callan

No photos today, just an update: One step forwards, two steps back.
I'd co-opted some of the PCB connectors for the drive switches and finished all the soldering. Just thought I'd meter it all out to make sure I made no mistakes......

Just as well I did: turns out there are some tracks concealed UNDERNEATH the pin header that strap most of the pins I was using to +12V Morover a trace I added for functionality would have shorted +12V to ground

Since these traces were otherwise unused they're not documented on any of the schematics. I'd have to do a bucket-ton of cutting and rerouting of traces to make it work, and since that would defeat the purpose of making it tidy, I'll just have to bite the bullet and put in another pin header dedicated to the track zero sensor. Bugger: another trip to Jaycar. IF they have the header I want.

So I undid all the board reworking, and fired it up to test.

It was at that precise moment that the mains power switch decided to join the the fuse carrier in crumbling and falling apart.
Nothing for it - I plundered one from a 1541 donor carcass, cut out the old one and soldered/(double)sleeved the donor switch into the wiring.

Finally fired it back up. All working, but all I have to show for it is a swapped out power switch and a couple of logic connections.

In the retro world it doesn't take much for your day to turn to shit Ah well, at least I didn't BREAK anything!!

Callan

"I don't like this internet thing anymore, can we have the old version back please?" - BlueRaven

Last edited by callan; 19th July 2017 at 11:51 PM.
callan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2017, 11:30 PM   #5436
Hater

Bought a pair of G4 Cubes and I have no idea why, i'll never use them.

Ho hum. At least they were cheap.
Hater is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2017, 11:36 PM   #5437
elvis
Old school old fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuuBox View Post
Posted off an old phone collection I had...

pix

Back when new models weren't just incremental updates!
My wife's HTC 10 is doing stupid things yet again, so it's back off to the Optus Shop for them to faff about with some more and not actually do anything useful (side rant: fuck phone network providers and locked phones).

Meanwhile, she's on her Nokia 1110 for a few weeks while Optus faff about (oh, yeah, she doesn't get a temp phone either - thanks for nothing, Optus). All the same, it's retro city for her. No Google Hangouts, no Facebook, SMS with no images and a dozen new emojis that don't work. Quite the throwback.

She also mentioned 2G is phased out August? Anyone here going to have a crack at setting up their own private GSM network any time soon?
Old Yesterday, 5:21 AM   #5438
clonex

I wonder if any wap services still exist. Lol
Edit: seems that phone doesnt support wap

Last edited by clonex; Yesterday at 5:23 AM.
clonex is online now   Reply With Quote