Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Other Toys/Hobbies

Notices

Old 16th July 2017, 1:01 PM   #2296
ASIGN_Baz Thread Starter
"Maker of awesome stuff"

ANNOUNCEMENT!

Our favorite Steel Iron Man suit has been invited to appear at the Sydney Knife Show on Sunday, 6th of August 2017, 11am until 2pm, Rosehill Gardens Racecourse.

We will again be raising money for the Starlight Children's Foundation, to enrich the lives of seriously ill children and their families.

My team of helpers is hard at work battle-hardening the electronics, tailoring a custom undersuit and building safer batteries while I refine some of the detail work in the suit itself. This will set it up for the upcoming hospital visits.

Why the Knife Show? Because the knife making community played a big part, (and still does), in helping me finish the suit, through creative fundraising with my knives. Enjoy the story poster below.

Last edited by ASIGN_Baz; 16th July 2017 at 4:33 PM.
ASIGN_Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2017, 2:39 PM   #2297
Nitephyre

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASIGN_Baz View Post
Uh huh.... not what you first typed is it? :P

Well at first I thought I was looking at your glorious cod holder... then I read the words again
Quote:
Originally Posted by benmagga View Post
There aren't too many things you can cuddle and BBQ
Nitephyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2017, 12:33 AM   #2298
ASIGN_Baz Thread Starter
"Maker of awesome stuff"

James and I having a great time of it tonight, battle-hardening all the electronics in the suit for the upcoming event in Sydney, as well as consolidating the power supplies and wiring harnesses.

We tinkered away, well, James did most of the work, I just assisted and made some decisions... All I have to do with the electronics now is duplicate what he's done on one arm, install a second battery, tidy up and secure all the wiring harnesses. Hopefully my mate Deano will send me the super-duper battery he's been working on soon. If not, we will manage with what we have for now and chuck in the improved one later.

Old 18th July 2017, 12:56 PM   #2299
ASIGN_Baz Thread Starter
"Maker of awesome stuff"

Idea thrown around between James and I last night. It would be good for my Iron Man charity, "roadies", to have official looking T-shirts. I just toyed with a piece of scrap cloth and regular spray paint.

I'm thinking a representation of a glowing arc-reactor on the chest with a small logo on the left breast, then a large logo across the back of the shoulders. Perhaps a, "Builds By Baz", around the right sleeve.

I wonder if any screen printers out there would be willing to contribute to the cause? Highly likely they would do a much better job....

Here's what I'm thinking. Plain and simple. Anyone know a screen printer who would be willing to supply for a good cause?

Old 19th July 2017, 4:00 PM   #2300
ASIGN_Baz Thread Starter
"Maker of awesome stuff"

The last outing in the suit identified some weak spots, which we have been trying to battle-harden for the next show, coming up in a few weeks.

Old 19th July 2017, 4:18 PM   #2301
shane41

Nice ...... like the shirts also.
Old 19th July 2017, 4:39 PM   #2302
MR CHILLED
D'oh!

Wow, this thing really has just taken off (pardon the pun!)
Old 19th July 2017, 4:40 PM   #2303
broccoli

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR CHILLED View Post
Wow, this thing really has just taken off (pardon the pun!)
ooh, has he installed the flying power?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankari View Post
I expected this to be bad, but they really put the effort in and took it to a whole new level of atrocious.
broccoli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2017, 6:43 PM   #2304
ASIGN_Baz Thread Starter
"Maker of awesome stuff"

Woohoo!!!! Metallic vinyl has arrived and it's perfect! Finally found something the right colour, sheen, flexibility, thickness and stiffness to make the flexible covers in the armour gaps. (EDIT: my phone camera seems to bring out a pinkish hue to it, but rest assured it is a cherry metallic red.)

This stuff is brilliant! I can layer it up and stitch it together as overlapping plates, or just burn plate lines in one layer with a soldering iron.

Layered plates that need stitching together

Bringing the battery from the back of the leg into the chest plate. Quick eject bracket in case of fire. Wrapped the top of the battery in the new mayerial to blend it in.

Old 19th July 2017, 9:41 PM   #2305
MR CHILLED
D'oh!

Quote:
Woohoo!!!! Metallic vinyl has arrived and it's perfect!
From the pictures it looks amazing, and perfect for the job.
Old 19th July 2017, 11:33 PM   #2306
DeejW

your dedication to this is really inspiring
Old 21st July 2017, 11:05 PM   #2307
ASIGN_Baz Thread Starter
"Maker of awesome stuff"

Quote:
From the pictures it looks amazing, and perfect for the job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeejW View Post
your dedication to this is really inspiring
Thanks gang!
Old 21st July 2017, 11:08 PM   #2308
ASIGN_Baz Thread Starter
"Maker of awesome stuff"

Promotional poster has been released to the public and is spreading on social media. If you would like to help me raise money for the Starlight Children's Foundation, please share this on your own social media platforms.

Here's the blurb that accompanies the poster.

"It took over 3 years of weekend's and spare time along with blood sweat and tears to build, but Barry Armstead toughed it out and now has an awesome Iron man suit to show for it.

With help and guidance from a few of the Canberra knife making community Barry was able to learn a new skill set to help make this dream a reality. He learnt how to make knives and money raised from the sale of these helped fund the build.

The suit wasn't made just for Barry though, his intention from the start was to bring a smile to the face of children in hospital by suiting up and letting them get close to a superhero.

Barry has already raised money for The Starlight Children's Foundation and this is the charity he'll be supporting when he makes an appearance at The Sydney Knife Show on Sunday 6th August.

Bring your children (or your inner child) along and have a photo taken of the Ironman MKIV suit Barry has created and donate a gold coin to a very worthy Charity.

We hope to see you there."

Last edited by ASIGN_Baz; 22nd July 2017 at 7:53 PM.
Old 22nd July 2017, 6:27 PM   #2309
MR CHILLED
D'oh!

Quote:
Promotional poster has been released to the public and is spreading on social media. If you would like to help me raise money for the Starlight Children's Foundation, please share this on your own social media platforms.

Image no longer available?
Old 22nd July 2017, 7:54 PM   #2310
ASIGN_Baz Thread Starter
"Maker of awesome stuff"

Quote:
Image no longer available?
Fixed now?