Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > Video Cards & Monitors

Notices

Old 3rd July 2017, 11:20 AM   #1501
Aussiejuggalo

If GPU's could use infinity fabric or something like it... that would be interesting, seeing how well Ryzen supports it and the performance boost you get with fast RAM could you imagine infinity fabric on a GPU with HBM , providing it worked the same way that is. Also having infinity fabric on a GPU should in theory mean Xfire would be obsolete if the cards could show up as a single monster card (like HDD's in RAID), would mean devs shouldn't have to code in Xfire / SLI (not that they really do now anyway ) and should mean performance shouldn't really drop / not have compatibility problems that we have now.

Interesting thought none the less, suppose we'll have to wait and see if AMD really do go that way or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie-revhead View Post
You will need more than one with those screens.

Not if I'm only gaming on one .

My baby: AMD 1800X / MSI B350M Mortar Arctic / G.Skill Trident Z 32GB 3200MHz C14 / MSI 1070 Armor OC / Samsung 960 Evo 250GB / Samsung 850 EVO 1TB / WD Blue 1TB / EVGA G2 850w / Caselabs SM5 / Dell U2414H x2 & Asus VG248QE
Aussiejuggalo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2017, 11:26 AM   #1502
aussie-revhead

Fair enough
Bench 1- Asus Rampage 5 Extreme - Intel 5960x - 32gb of 3200c16 DDR4- 1x Galax GTX1080 Ti HOF - Samsung 960 Evo + Intel 600P m.2 512GB - Enermax Revo1250 - water cooled tech bench - QNIX 2560x1440 screen @ 100Hz - Aten 120Hz KVM
Netbox - Dell 990 SFF - 2500 - 16GB ram - gtx750Ti - 240GB SSD - 2TB green
Current vehicles- Black 2007 ZX14 - VE V8 Calais (wifes car) - VN SS (for sale)
aussie-revhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2017, 12:28 PM   #1503
SnooP-WiggleS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiejuggalo View Post
If GPU's could use infinity fabric or something like it... that would be interesting, seeing how well Ryzen supports it and the performance boost you get with fast RAM could you imagine infinity fabric on a GPU with HBM , providing it worked the same way that is. Also having infinity fabric on a GPU should in theory mean Xfire would be obsolete if the cards could show up as a single monster card (like HDD's in RAID), would mean devs shouldn't have to code in Xfire / SLI (not that they really do now anyway ) and should mean performance shouldn't really drop / not have compatibility problems that we have now.

Interesting thought none the less, suppose we'll have to wait and see if AMD really do go that way or not.

Not if I'm only gaming on one .
Vega already uses infinity fabric, so maybe, but unlikely. I haven't seen any mention of that to date for way better crossfire so unless it's a last minute reveal...
Old 3rd July 2017, 12:36 PM   #1504
Sipheren

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnooP-WiggleS View Post
Vega already uses infinity fabric, so maybe, but unlikely. I haven't seen any mention of that to date for way better crossfire so unless it's a last minute reveal...
What I was saying regarding this has nothing to do with Crossfire or SLI, those are just ways of joining two GPU's together in the OS.

What I am talking about is having one large GPU comprised of smaller dies all interconnected using AMD's Infinity Fabric (which is how they connect the die and HBH stacks now).

So this would mean no Crossfire, it would simply be seen as a large GPU.
Sipheren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2017, 12:40 PM   #1505
sammy_b0i

Yeah, there was a video on that somewhere. As a suggestion on how they could get high yield, cheaper products by getting 4 dies for example working together with their infinity fabric. I think it was about Navi.
OCAU is a breeding ground for hyper-moralistic 13 year olds who've never stepped out of the computer room in their entire life. Young liberals, young labor, people who will grow old and die before they ever think about pulling their head out.
sammy_b0i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2017, 12:55 PM   #1506
SiriusDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy_b0i View Post
Yeah, there was a video on that somewhere. As a suggestion on how they could get high yield, cheaper products by getting 4 dies for example working together with their infinity fabric. I think it was about Navi.
Ah, the 'ol 3dfx method I don't think anything has beaten 3dfx's SLI scaling.

... I miss 3dfx
SiriusDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2017, 1:02 PM   #1507
Sipheren

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriusDragon View Post
Ah, the 'ol 3dfx method I don't think anything has beaten 3dfx's SLI scaling.

... I miss 3dfx
Not really like that either, that is just the usual SLI/Crossfire we have now, only difference was the 2 GPU's on the same board. AMD and Nvidia have both done those types of products as well.

This would be only one GPU package on the board, just like the Ryzen 8 core is one CPU, but that package would be made up of multiple dies like how Ryzen is made from multiple 4 core dies.

It would act like one GPU, no AFR or anything like that.
Old 3rd July 2017, 1:07 PM   #1508
sammy_b0i

Yeah, that was the idea. Would be awesome. Imagine if they could have just put 4x Polaris dies on a single board and put it out as the RX590.
OCAU is a breeding ground for hyper-moralistic 13 year olds who've never stepped out of the computer room in their entire life. Young liberals, young labor, people who will grow old and die before they ever think about pulling their head out.
sammy_b0i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2017, 1:13 PM   #1509
Sipheren

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy_b0i View Post
Yeah, that was the idea. Would be awesome. Imagine if they could have just put 4x Polaris dies on a single board and put it out as the RX590.
To power hungry, GCN isn;t all that efficient, I think they will be working on a very low power 2000SP die that can be scaled up easily and not require 400W lol
Old 3rd July 2017, 1:20 PM   #1510
bennyg

They went small die strategy after the disaster that was R600 (2900XT) and they rebuilt their market share with it while nvidia had their own gt200/fermi issues. Yet they dropped the idea as soon as it looked like they could compete again on big die with cypress/gcn and stopped with the 4870 and 4870x2 which were clear price/perf leaders over nvidia at the time (iirc). They needed time to reverse the mindshare and I think personnel/board changes wrought their damage there and only now ten years later they are releasing stitched together product stack built on scalability

I always wondered what would have happened if AMD didn't buy ATi for too much of other peoples money which forced both CPU and GPU development and support into balls deep cost cutting mode and the whole 'fusion' thing sold as the benefit of the merger never went anywhere beyond slightly-better-than-intel iGPU in budget CPUs

Last edited by bennyg; 3rd July 2017 at 1:24 PM.
bennyg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2017, 1:26 PM   #1511
SnooP-WiggleS

That and you have the option that you don't have to push the design to it's limits, just add another core instead.
For reference coin miners know you can undervolt/underclock a polaris GPU a bit and have a huge drop in power consumption. So for example one guy's results were stock rx580 @ 1450mhz draws 135w, at 1100mhz draws 78w. 30% extra performance cost 73% extra power use.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0C...dsUGs5OTQ/view
Old 3rd July 2017, 1:48 PM   #1512
SiriusDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sipheren View Post
Not really like that either, that is just the usual SLI/Crossfire we have now, only difference was the 2 GPU's on the same board. AMD and Nvidia have both done those types of products as well.

This would be only one GPU package on the board, just like the Ryzen 8 core is one CPU, but that package would be made up of multiple dies like how Ryzen is made from multiple 4 core dies.

It would act like one GPU, no AFR or anything like that.
Not quite the same as modern dual GPU cards.

Voodoo SLI worked in hardware, the cards/chips would render alternate lines on the display, as a result scaling was near 100% in everything with no driver support required.

SLI nowadays is pretty much all software - apart from the SLI bridges of course - but it doesn't have much in common with Voodoo SLI.

I believe XDMA CrossFire on the newer Radeons has some hardware features but it's still driver dependant.

Edit: But yeah, I think I see what you're saying now. You're right this theoretical method would be like SMP GPUs really, and they'd appear as a single one to the system. That works
SiriusDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2017, 3:38 PM   #1513
VL_BT1

wow, the Vega FE launch, so controversial! I do believe AMD didnt handle it correctly. But that's spilt milk now.

As for RX vega, Im expecting some excellent improvements come SIGGRAPH. I might be alone here, but Im thinking with proper optimisations for all its new goodies it will be within 5% of the 1080ti. And maybe at 499 price. Power will be probably be around 250 watts

And how about those prices of RX570/580's. Wow, what a total price gouge by retailers.
VL_BT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2017, 3:39 PM   #1514
power

Quote:
Originally Posted by VL_BT1 View Post
I do believe AMD didnt handle it correctly.
that's putting it mildly.
Old 3rd July 2017, 3:40 PM   #1515
Court Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by VL_BT1 View Post
within 5% of the 1080ti. And maybe at 499 price. Power will be probably be around 250 watts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jL2DH-nKBeA

Last edited by Court Jester; 3rd July 2017 at 3:43 PM.
Court Jester is online now   Reply With Quote