Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > Video Cards & Monitors

Notices

Old 2nd May 2017, 11:03 AM   #751
power

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart5986 View Post
This has been AMD's tactic since the 290x, build a card for the future, the card needs replacing before the future comes, and the card specific driver updates stop within a year anyway.
Wasn't bulldozer made off this kind of ideal as well?
Old 2nd May 2017, 11:12 AM   #752
raincloudx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Court Jester View Post
Well AMD posts a net loss of $73m despite revenue being up 18%

but Vega is on track for a Q2 release

http://ir.amd.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=74...cle&ID=2268417
Nice results - 30% increase in CPU/GPU revenue from Q1 2016, and only takes into account <1 month of Ryzen 7 sales.

With Ryzen 5/3, OEMS, Naples and VEGA, Q2 and Q3 should be good.

Will always regret not buying AMD stock last year

Last edited by raincloudx; 2nd May 2017 at 11:15 AM.
raincloudx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2017, 11:19 AM   #753
Sipheren

Just checked out those apparent Vega scores for time spay, damn, I will literally eat shit if that is real lol.

My thought would be an engineering sample of some sort, but damn, if, and I mean if, it was the actual full Vega, surely they would just not bother lol.

Sipheren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2017, 11:23 AM   #754
jpw007

That's a low Mhz for the GPU though isn't it?

If we take that score @ 1200 and assume same score per Mhz, then at the same Mhz as the 1080 it's 9,048 which is substantially higher.

I really have no idea on clock speeds etc and am just making a lot of assumptions on how it works, but if it did work like that then it'd be promising?
Old 2nd May 2017, 11:26 AM   #755
Sipheren

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpw007 View Post
That's a low Mhz for the GPU though isn't it?

If we take that score @ 1200 and assume same score per Mhz, then at the same Mhz as the 1080 it's 9,048 which is substantially higher.

I really have no idea on clock speeds etc and am just making a lot of assumptions on how it works, but if it did work like that then it'd be promising?
Without a doubt the clock speed on Vega (given it's using GF 14nm process) will be ~1500MHz, maybe more if they are lucky.

This is clear as could be not a final product, companies aren't retarded, they wouldn't be spending millions of dollars to produce something that is that slow and will never make any money.
Old 2nd May 2017, 12:03 PM   #756
Court Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sipheren View Post
Without a doubt the clock speed on Vega (given it's using GF 14nm process) will be ~1500MHz, maybe more if they are lucky.

This is clear as could be not a final product, companies aren't retarded, they wouldn't be spending millions of dollars to produce something that is that slow and will never make any money.
You say AMD is not retarded but do you remember the Bulldozer ( or Zune from Microsoft)

the clock speed would be about the only thing that may change on the final boards it was the same hardware ID as shown by AMD in December which would have had to be final silicone.

I honestly do expect 1500mhz as well but who knows maybe initial yields are terrible and 1200mhz is all they can reliably muster on the clock speed front

even @ 1500mhz it will barely keep up with a 1080 let alone the ti.
Old 2nd May 2017, 12:08 PM   #757
Sipheren

Quote:
You say AMD is not retarded but do you remember the Bulldozer ( or Zune from Microsoft)

the clock speed would be about the only thing that may change on the final boards it was the same hardware ID as shown by AMD in December which would have had to be final silicone.

I honestly do expect 1500mhz as well but who knows maybe initial yields are terrible and 1200mhz is all they can reliably muster on the clock speed front

even @ 1500mhz it will barely keep up with a 1080 let alone the ti.
@1500MHz it will be in between the 1080 and 1080Ti just working on linear scale from Fiji, given the work they have done to the architecture (which is substantial and really should help a great deal compared to previous GCN versions) I don't see any issue with it being at least on 1080To levels.

That's good, but obviously a lot of people will not be super impressed given the age of Pascal and Volta on the horizon. It really needs to put 30% at least on Pascal overall to be a major win, but I don't see that happening.

My prediction, as it has been all along, will be a 1080Ti for less money. Anyway, we will find out soon enough.
Old 2nd May 2017, 12:49 PM   #758
Court Jester

Quote:
jor win, but I don't see that happening.

My prediction, as it has been all along, will be a 1080Ti for less money. Anyway, we will find out soon enough.
I think you will be sorely disappointed, the cost of this card will not be super cheap -- it physically is not able to be.

I suspect significantly less performance than a 1080ti and till cost within $50ish of it as it will be an expensive card to manufacture with the size of the die and the cost of HBM2.

Remember the Fury X? Offered worse performance than the 980ti for pratically the same $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Old 2nd May 2017, 1:00 PM   #759
hosh0

I take it no one actually watched the informative video posted a few pages back? Nice video snoops

In God we trust, all others we virus scan.
hosh0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2017, 1:29 PM   #760
Sipheren

Quote:
I think you will be sorely disappointed, the cost of this card will not be super cheap -- it physically is not able to be.

I suspect significantly less performance than a 1080ti and till cost within $50ish of it as it will be an expensive card to manufacture with the size of the die and the cost of HBM2.

Remember the Fury X? Offered worse performance than the 980ti for pratically the same $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
I'll wager it wont be, 100 Internet points says it will be on par with the 1080Ti and $50 cheaper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hosh0 View Post
I take it no one actually watched the informative video posted a few pages back? Nice video snoops
I watch all his videos and read a lot on the different architectures, it's really interesting how the different GPU's approach things and their weaknesses and strengths.
Old 2nd May 2017, 1:33 PM   #761
spank36

You would think thats baby vega or the 1070 equivalent. No way that the top of the line is only going to be just faster than a Fury X.

Plot twist, that's just a 14nm Fury....
Old 2nd May 2017, 1:47 PM   #762
Frag

Quote:
actually, if you watch the videos it is said by AMD it was so yes I am sure and the hardware ID's from that demo put on by AMD are the same which would have had to have been final silicone if AMD are to make their stated release time frame.
Again this means nothing. Honestly I very much doubt this is anything other than their mid range something. Few things dont add up - 1200MHz is too slow for 14 FinFet, 700MHZ HBM2 is not a thing and its only just faster than Fury X.

In other words, its just BS and means nothing at this stage except more speculation on our parts. Guru3d crowd seems to have come to the consensus it may be a Fury X rebrand part which I tend to agree with. There is no way in hell a chip that has so much in it will only be incrementally faster than previous gen on larger process. Just process node improvement of Fury X would bring more gain than this.. again we are all grasping at straws and lets see what comes out
Old 2nd May 2017, 1:49 PM   #763
bart5986

Quote:
I'll wager it wont be, 100 Internet points says it will be on par with the 1080Ti and $50 cheaper.
This makes no sense at all.

AMD for a very very long time with both their CPU's and GPU's always release something inferior to Nvidia/Intel in the majority of tests but look good in a few tests yet they are indeed "$50 cheaper"

I am 100% sure if the Vega is on par with the 1080Ti it will be the same price if not more expensive then the 1080Ti.

AMD/ATI was a budget GPU card maker a long time ago, probably when they were called ATI still. They are no longer a budget GPU maker in terms of pricing.
bart5986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2017, 2:28 PM   #764
WJR
(Banned or Deleted)

Even if it matches the 1080Ti Nvidia is just going to drop Volta and leave AMD in the dust again. I don't know how they can recover from this and I hope they can survive considering their net loss is $73m....ouch.
WJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2017, 2:36 PM   #765
_slacker_

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamsleath View Post
AMD always run at a loss . personally i think its a tax dodge
Star Wars ( the original movie ) still hasn't returned a profit.....
**Asrock X370 Gaming K4 ** AMD Ryzen 1700@ 4Ghz ** Team Group Dark Pro 3000 @2933 C12-11-11-11-25 ** XFX RX480 @1405/2055** Samsung Evo 960 M.2 + Evo 850 ** EKWB Watercooled ** Silverstone 750w Gold**
_slacker_ is offline   Reply With Quote