OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Other Toys/Hobbies

Notices

Old 20th July 2009, 10:17 AM   #151
Rass

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcornwallus View Post
Picked up from qge this morning,

Mines a Izhevsk made 47. Laminated Stock, bought from Lawrance, very happy with it, Picking up the 30-06 Mauser on wednesday Hopefully, and the No5.

Happy days.
Did Pete do the transfer for you? He's a dead-set legend. He did the transfer on my M44 - it's my favourite firearm... the laminated stocks are really nice and they are so solidly built (designed for an angry, illiterate conscript ).

I think I saw that Mauser on Sunday when I went in - if it's the one I think it is, it's in really really nice condition with a shiny bolt - I would have bought it if I could have. Nice find!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merudo View Post
Went down on Saturday and Sunday, and paid my membership on saturday while I was there. (didnt want to wait until the planned outing with my friends on sunday)

Hired a .223 and got two boxes of bullets and a six pack target, and just took my time over about an hour and a half with that, very nice rifle! Was lots of fun.

Since the original plan was for some friends of mine and I to go down on Sunday, I still went on sunday and just hired a .22 and four boxes of ammo. Ended up staying for quite a few hours with my mates, we had a good long chat with the Range officer that was there on Sunday, nice bloke... We were lining up bits of clay at the 50 and 100 mark, and he was calling it for us (which one to shoot at) so it made it a lot more interesting than just shooting at a paper target, instead it would be "far right clay 100" then load and hit it , great fun!

Definitely will be back very soon, I enjoyed myself a lot... LOVED the .223 but as mentioned above it's a bit expensive.

Note: with a bit of wind blowing that .22 involves a bit of guesswork sometimes at 100+ haha
Glad you enjoyed your time at the range!

Yeah, ammo isn't as cheap as it used to be. A lot of the common calibres you are looking at $25-30 for a box of 20. If you like the sport, you'll probably need to get a reloading setup - you can cut your ammo costs significantly by reusing the casings and also ensure you get the same consistancy out of your loads.

I have a cheap little .22lr break action rifle which I use to plink with - it's an absolute tack driver and you can spend all day shooting it and won't break the bank.

I've heard of some people bringing those cheap plastic army men to the range and putting a couple next to the back rest and shooting at them don't tell anyone though!

There's a bunch of different disiplines to explore as well, there's the practical shooting as well as stuff like metallic sillouette and "cowboy" single action shooting.
Rass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2009, 10:30 AM   #152
Merudo

what you can do i guess is up to the discretion of the range officers, hey...

The RO's working there on sunday were more than happy with us collecting the bits of the clay pigeons and putting them further up so we could use them as smaller targets, as long as we didnt put them right at the top of the mound
I had an awesome time, my mate who hired the .308 wasnt happy with it, someone had played with the sight and even the RO was having trouble sighting it back in, it was so far out that at 50m he'd aim at the top left of a six pack and it would put a hole in the bottom right of the target...

He should've seen if he could get it swapped for another one or something
Old 20th July 2009, 1:04 PM   #153
drcornwallus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rass View Post
Did Pete do the transfer for you? He's a dead-set legend. He did the transfer on my M44 - it's my favourite firearm... the laminated stocks are really nice and they are so solidly built (designed for an angry, illiterate conscript ).

I think I saw that Mauser on Sunday when I went in - if it's the one I think it is, it's in really really nice condition with a shiny bolt - I would have bought it if I could have. Nice find!

Glad you enjoyed your time at the range!

Yeah, ammo isn't as cheap as it used to be. A lot of the common calibres you are looking at $25-30 for a box of 20. If you like the sport, you'll probably need to get a reloading setup - you can cut your ammo costs significantly by reusing the casings and also ensure you get the same consistancy out of your loads.

I have a cheap little .22lr break action rifle which I use to plink with - it's an absolute tack driver and you can spend all day shooting it and won't break the bank.

I've heard of some people bringing those cheap plastic army men to the range and putting a couple next to the back rest and shooting at them don't tell anyone though!

There's a bunch of different disiplines to explore as well, there's the practical shooting as well as stuff like metallic sillouette and "cowboy" single action shooting.
Nah Mate, Pete was busy but another younger bloke looked after me, I also rate Josh at QGE, helpful bloke. And the Mauser is different, I did have a squizz at that one tho, bit steep at 575 tho.

Went on Sunday arvo and shot the mosin, Had the Muzzle flashes, And my arse chewed by a RO, Apparently NO bayonets at the range?, Did you take yours off Rass?.

Your lucky you had a good RO Merudo, they seem to change their tunes, I've heard no shooting at clays at all. just goes to prove you just have to take it as it comes there. Another RO was friendly as about my Mosin, and then the other RO is 5cm from my face raising his voice.

Last edited by drcornwallus; 20th July 2009 at 1:06 PM.
drcornwallus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2009, 1:34 PM   #154
Rass

Quote:
Went on Sunday arvo and shot the mosin, Had the Muzzle flashes, And my arse chewed by a RO, Apparently NO bayonets at the range?, Did you take yours off Rass?.
There's one dead-set tosser there who pretty much tried forcing me to take off the bayo. I politely asked him why and he said it's because it's too militaristic. I then pulled out my SMLE and he said "now that's more like it!". I gave him a blank stare let him know I didn't want his opinion unless it was actualy something to do with the range.

I found it a little frustrating because the bayonet is folded back out of the way and I wouldn't extend it at a range anyway. I'm almost considering making a leather sleeve to conceal it if I take it to that range.

Josh is pretty good value, though I do give him heaps when he asks Pete for advice on things ("sell it to me for $10!, I swear Pete's BS'ing you about it's value!" etc).
Rass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2009, 1:42 PM   #155
GooSE
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I'm dying to go out to a mate's property in Mudgee for some hunting, plinking, etc.

At the moment all I've got to shoot with is a O/U 20-guage/.223 break-action, but I'm hoping to grow my collection shortly.
GooSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2009, 2:05 PM   #156
drcornwallus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rass View Post
There's one dead-set tosser there who pretty much tried forcing me to take off the bayo. I politely asked him why and he said it's because it's too militaristic. I then pulled out my SMLE and he said "now that's more like it!". I gave him a blank stare let him know I didn't want his opinion unless it was actualy something to do with the range.

I found it a little frustrating because the bayonet is folded back out of the way and I wouldn't extend it at a range anyway. I'm almost considering making a leather sleeve to conceal it if I take it to that range.

Josh is pretty good value, though I do give him heaps when he asks Pete for advice on things ("sell it to me for $10!, I swear Pete's BS'ing you about it's value!" etc).
mate this must be him, but he came 5cm from my face "GET THE RIFLE IN THE BAG NOW"

Might have to have meet for a shoot sometime.
Old 20th July 2009, 2:22 PM   #157
Merudo

Quote:

Your lucky you had a good RO Merudo, they seem to change their tunes, I've heard no shooting at clays at all. just goes to prove you just have to take it as it comes there. Another RO was friendly as about my Mosin, and then the other RO is 5cm from my face raising his voice.

Yeah the RO actually suggested it. He was really nice and was helping us, even sat down and had a shoot with us while we were there!

60-something guy, bit of a moustache, and on saturday it was two different RO's, and they were really nice too, always coming over and having a chat and asking us if we were having fun etc

Maybe I've been lucky so far, hahaha...

once I get my membership card, I'll be doing the safety course, then handing in my application for my licence...

I'm looking forward to eventually having my own rifle and not having to hire a rifle that has been used and abused by the average punter - the way some of them look, they've had a hard life...

Though I said it before I'll say it again, the .223 I got on saturday was just awesome fun...

I'm quite enjoying the challenge that target shooting offers... Short of this before I've only fired .22's with friends at targets out on properties, it's good to do it all proper and straight up like this, and also good to shoot a firearm bigger than a .22 (i still maintain that the .22 is awesome fun and certainly represents excellent value for money when it comes to having fun and having a shoot)
Old 20th July 2009, 2:38 PM   #158
Baringa

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavoRulz View Post
How does someone who rents a house adhere to the requirement for a gun safe to be bolted to something? Always wanted to join a range and get a firearm, either pistol or rifle, but I'm not sure how to go about this.
Garage wall or floor has always worked for me.

Too many pistols and rifles in this thread. Where is the shotgun love?

Here is a photo of my mum (yes, my mum) shooting her Beretta 12 gauge (think she sold this gun last year).

Baringa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2009, 2:42 PM   #159
GooSE

Go mum!

In regards to safes in rental properties, just see if you can work something out with the landlord. If you live in a house with a garage I'm sure they won't have a problem with a couple of dynabolts.

Another way around it is to get a really heavy safe. From memory if the safe weighs more than 150kg it doesn't have to be bolted down. You should obviously double check this though. This applies in NSW, not sure about other states.
Old 20th July 2009, 3:17 PM   #160
drcornwallus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merudo View Post
Yeah the RO actually suggested it. He was really nice and was helping us, even sat down and had a shoot with us while we were there!

60-something guy, bit of a moustache, and on saturday it was two different RO's, and they were really nice too, always coming over and having a chat and asking us if we were having fun etc

Maybe I've been lucky so far, hahaha...

once I get my membership card, I'll be doing the safety course, then handing in my application for my licence...

I'm looking forward to eventually having my own rifle and not having to hire a rifle that has been used and abused by the average punter - the way some of them look, they've had a hard life...

Though I said it before I'll say it again, the .223 I got on saturday was just awesome fun...

I'm quite enjoying the challenge that target shooting offers... Short of this before I've only fired .22's with friends at targets out on properties, it's good to do it all proper and straight up like this, and also good to shoot a firearm bigger than a .22 (i still maintain that the .22 is awesome fun and certainly represents excellent value for money when it comes to having fun and having a shoot)
Hah, that sounds like the guy who blasted me,

I'd get right onto booking a safety course as they are in demand, It also took 7 business days to get my certificate to go with my app.

.223 is decent has the noise of large cals but not the kick., and Wolf makes some cheap ammo ($33/100 at cleavers) Would be okay to plink with.
Old 20th July 2009, 3:25 PM   #161
Merudo

$33 / 100 for .223? serious?

They were charging $19.50 / 20 at the range!

Wasn't that brand, though

.223 sounds like the way to go, then! Shit, I didn't know you could get ammo that cheap for it...

edit: Just got off the phone to the SSAA now, I've booked in for my safety course next month. I'm already a member of the SSAA now, so once I've done my safety course, it's just sending off my application to the police, and then waiting 28 days! (i understand there will be more waiting involved once I decide to get a firearm but for now I just want to have my licence)

For anyone else who is interested, this page is very helpful

For those wondering, the next 30655QLD Weapons Act Safety Course is August 12th and 13th, and costs $55 for members (i think its $75 for non members). It was strongly recommended to me to book in early as well like was said above haha

(above is just for the benefit of anyone else reading the thread who may be interested)

Last edited by Merudo; 20th July 2009 at 4:11 PM.
Merudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2009, 3:28 PM   #162
RandomWally

Quote:
Originally Posted by GooSE View Post
Go mum!

In regards to safes in rental properties, just see if you can work something out with the landlord. If you live in a house with a garage I'm sure they won't have a problem with a couple of dynabolts.

Another way around it is to get a really heavy safe. From memory if the safe weighs more than 150kg it doesn't have to be bolted down. You should obviously double check this though. This applies in NSW, not sure about other states.
Yeah I'm in the same boat (rental property) but unfortunately I'm in a unit with no place that I could bolt down a safe without causing noticeable damage to the living areas. Looking at safes, the only ones that weigh more than 150kg are 10+ gun versions costing $1k and up. I would have thought there's a market for 2-8 guns safes that have lead plates or something in the base to bring them up to the weight requirement (or can you do this yourself and still meet the legal requirements?). I've read that some dealers and clubs do offer storage for your firearms, costs ~$10 a month, but that will add up to more than the cost of a safe after only a couple of years, even if you only have 1 or 2 guns.
RandomWally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2009, 3:57 PM   #163
xtortion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philll View Post

.44 or .38, can't remember
Looks like a Colt Python.
xtortion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2009, 4:04 PM   #164
Kevlarman

The price of guns and ammo in this country makes me sad.
I don't think I can afford it!
Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z | i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz | 16GB Corsair Vengeance | HX620W | M500 960GB | M4 256GB | M4 128GB | 7K3000 2TB | GTX 780 Ti OC | Dell U3011 | SilverStone TJ08-E | IBM Model M | Win 7 Ultimate x64
Canon 7D | EF-S 17-55 | EF-S 17-85 | EF-S 10-22 | EF 50 | EF 70-200 f/4L IS | Sigma 105mm Macro
Kevlarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2009, 4:05 PM   #165
GooSE

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomWally View Post
Yeah I'm in the same boat (rental property) but unfortunately I'm in a unit with no place that I could bolt down a safe without causing noticeable damage to the living areas. Looking at safes, the only ones that weigh more than 150kg are 10+ gun versions costing $1k and up. I would have thought there's a market for 2-8 guns safes that have lead plates or something in the base to bring them up to the weight requirement (or can you do this yourself and still meet the legal requirements?). I've read that some dealers and clubs do offer storage for your firearms, costs ~$10 a month, but that will add up to more than the cost of a safe after only a couple of years, even if you only have 1 or 2 guns.
NSW laws on safes are really dodgy (you can use bloody school lockers for christ's sake!), so you might be able to get away with dropping a bunch of lead in a lighter safe.

I'd call the relevant authorities to check though.