OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Other Toys/Hobbies

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 12th May 2010, 9:20 PM   #751
drcornwallus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickbishop View Post
Hey peoples. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with the Shooters Union. They claim that membership gives you a “Genuine reason” to own cat A,B & H firearms in Qld.

By that, I'm assuming that you don't need to be a member of a club, nor do you need any land to shoot on.

Someone got a bone they can throw me?
Shooters union is fine for that purpose, most ranges allow non members.

And there is no issue with permits
drcornwallus is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 13th May 2010, 8:59 AM   #752
Psycronic

just put a deposit down on a Zastava LKM70 standard in 9.3x62, HPGS has a range of them for $620 (a bit more for the magnum and heavy mag models)

http://www.zastava-arms.co.rs/cms/index.php?id=231

Tossing up buying a 458 win mag or another 6.5x55 swede in the synthetic stock

Berretta are bringing them in (not here yet) http://www.australianhunting.net/ind...?topic=61753.0
Psycronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2010, 9:12 AM   #753
apsilon

Hunting sambar?

I'm all excited, I also just put down a deposit (also at HPGS) on my first rifle, a CZ 452 varmint in .22LR. Going to be using that for target shooting and, once I'm sure I can reliably hit what I'm aiming at, also for bunnies. Thinking of following that up with a Tikka T3 but haven't decided yet.
apsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2010, 9:40 AM   #754
Thraxeh

How would someone from Sydney get into Rifle shooting?

I've always wanted to get into it, are there any Rifle Ranges in Sydney which are friendly to new comers?
Thraxeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2010, 10:06 AM   #755
Psycronic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thraxeh View Post
How would someone from Sydney get into Rifle shooting?

I've always wanted to get into it, are there any Rifle Ranges in Sydney which are friendly to new comers?
They are all friendly, what sort of shooting are you looking at target, hunting?

I'm a member fo SSAA (target and Hunting) and they have a few ranges in Sydney there is also NRAA (target). If you are out west the SSAA St Marys range is good in the East Malabar has SSAA and NRAA. I shoot at both (NRAA F Class at Malabar).

If you want to give the long range target shooting a try at Malabar (300 - 800m) have a look at Bankstown Chatswood Rifle club (bcrc.iinet.com.au) very nice group of people, but any of the clubs at Malabar would help you out.
Old 13th May 2010, 10:13 AM   #756
Psycronic

Quote:
Originally Posted by apsilon View Post
Hunting sambar?

I'm all excited, I also just put down a deposit (also at HPGS) on my first rifle, a CZ 452 varmint in .22LR. Going to be using that for target shooting and, once I'm sure I can reliably hit what I'm aiming at, also for bunnies. Thinking of following that up with a Tikka T3 but haven't decided yet.
the CZs are very nice, I went with a Savage FV for my 22lr.

Yeah the 9.3 will be for the big stuff (hopefully one day I'll get up north and have a crack at some buffalo).

The Tikkas are a nice rifle, mate of mine has one of the tacticals, I was also looking at them but ended up going with a 2nd hand swedish M96 mauser and couldn't be happier
Old 13th May 2010, 10:20 AM   #757
apsilon

I've only just got into it myself and I found them to all be friendly.

The club I joined at Malabar charges $45 inc rifle hire, range fee, 25 rounds and lunch to shoot under a P650 form so you can try it out.
Old 13th May 2010, 8:10 PM   #758
drcornwallus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycronic View Post
the CZs are very nice, I went with a Savage FV for my 22lr.

Yeah the 9.3 will be for the big stuff (hopefully one day I'll get up north and have a crack at some buffalo).

The Tikkas are a nice rifle, mate of mine has one of the tacticals, I was also looking at them but ended up going with a 2nd hand swedish M96 mauser and couldn't be happier
I had a Savage FV I liked it apart from the magazine quality, Have a Norinco Jw15 now, which is a cz copy, very impressed with it, have filed a few sharp edges, but stock is as good as the savage was, came with a scope and rings for $235, can't beat that.
Old 13th May 2010, 8:48 PM   #759
spg

Had one of these delivered for the Win Model 94 Top Eject 30-30.
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=6...94_Scout_Mount

Nice Eotech sight to top it off would be nice..
spg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2010, 11:00 PM   #760
rickbishop

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcornwallus View Post
Shooters union is fine for that purpose, most ranges allow non members.

And there is no issue with permits
But the question is how?

As far as I have always known, a normal person (not a cop/security guard/primary producer) HAS to be a member of a club AND attend regular club events to have a cat H, and they either have to do the same for A and B, or have a suitable property to hunt on (either their own or permission from someone else).

Don't get me wrong, if it's not BS, I'm all for it. If the shooters union is legit, then I'll finally be able to get back my .22 that I haven't seen for 16 years.
rickbishop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2010, 11:25 PM   #761
Timmy

Quote:
But the question is how?

As far as I have always known, a normal person (not a cop/security guard/primary producer) HAS to be a member of a club AND attend regular club events to have a cat H, and they either have to do the same for A and B, or have a suitable property to hunt on (either their own or permission from someone else).

Don't get me wrong, if it's not BS, I'm all for it. If the shooters union is legit, then I'll finally be able to get back my .22 that I haven't seen for 16 years.
If you just want a Cat A&B license you can just join the SSAA which gives you the genuine reason to get a license.

Theres tonnes more info on their site (especially compared to the shooters union)
http://www.ssaaqld.org.au/GetALicence.htm

Thats what i did to get my A&B and it worked, plus we get a shooter magazine every month. Because the laws are slightly less strict then Cat H they can offer membership for your genuine reason.

I highly doubt you would be able to get a cat H from the shooters union as you must attent 6 approved shoots every year to keep your license for sports target shooting. Unless they have you under a primary production license which is doubtful. There are a couple of other 'genuine' reasons they could use but I think they wouldn't be used either.

Send them an email and ask how you can get your catagory H license.

Last edited by Timmy; 13th May 2010 at 11:29 PM. Reason: added URL
Timmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2010, 8:08 AM   #762
apsilon

The way I read that Shooters Union site is it just gives you your genuine reason ie club membership. It doesn't fulfill your annual participation requirements so by joining you could apply for your cat H but you'd still have to turn up and compete at an approved match 6 (or is it 4?) times a year +2 matches for each additional handgun after the first.
Old 14th May 2010, 11:04 AM   #763
drcornwallus

Quote:
But the question is how?

your right with the first part, cat H is much more strict, A/B tho is not at all, one technically pay shooter union fees and never shoot and still posses rifles.

I never got round to asking about cat H, I'm just not interested in handguns no more, it's pretty extensive paperwork.

in Qld membership is required but no attendance is necessary unlike NSW.
Old 14th May 2010, 11:28 AM   #764
Bradzac

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcornwallus View Post
in Qld membership is required but no attendance is necessary unlike NSW.
For H? I did my QLD licencing course last year and the instructor said you have to attend a minimum 4 events per year per handgun.

For A&B the easiest way is to become a member of SSAA.

Edit: It might be 6 events for 1 handgun and 4 events each for every additional handgun. Can't remember exactly, but it turned me off getting one.

Last edited by Bradzac; 14th May 2010 at 11:35 AM.
Bradzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2010, 12:02 PM   #765
drcornwallus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradzac View Post
For H? I did my QLD licencing course last year and the instructor said you have to attend a minimum 4 events per year per handgun.

For A&B the easiest way is to become a member of SSAA.

Edit: It might be 6 events for 1 handgun and 4 events each for every additional handgun. Can't remember exactly, but it turned me off getting one.
sorry should have worded better was refering to a/b.

what I dont like about SSAA is the magazine, they put shooter on the front as a cover sheet, and put your address on it, the Police don't send letters with any identifying info so why would they, the SSAA also put a proposal AGAINST a R18 game rating so that browns me off.

Anyways yes its 6 comps a financial year for CAT H, if you have more than one class of handgun (Air pistol, Centrefire rifle, Rimfire Pistol, High Cal) you'd had to go more.

It put me off keeping my cat H license, specifcally, you'd have to sell your gun and its a life commitment or lose it.