Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Manufacturer-specific Forums > AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets

Notices


Sign up for a free OCAU account and this ad will go away!
Search our forums with Google:
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old Yesterday, 4:32 PM   #4591
asho444
Member
 
asho444's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Emerald QLD
Posts: 118
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Court Jester View Post
all that is correct, amd rushed ryzen release to market t and as a consequence is a buggy ill planned launch of a product that was clearly not ready. AMD is losing financially which is possibly a reason why, and at the end of the day no one buys AMD for out right performance it has generally been a 2nd rate (performance wise) platform to intel that is lower priced for those on a budget.


I will call a spade a spade and I myself buy those budget AMD systems because of that they are budget -- cheap bang for ya buck -- but I don't confuse a budget 2nd tier system to a performance leader like Intel which charges accordingly for their clear market leading products. Ryzen is good for the money but even on release, it was a long way off the top performance which was still a x99 platform.and people buying ryzen were doing so for the only reason any one buys amd is it is good value for money.
So the rushed launch buggy launch is different to x299 how?

What you seem to keep forgetting is that Ryzen is aimed at the Mainstream z270 Platform not the x99/x299 platform. in which case it smashes everything it has to offer other than gaming at 1080p.

another fault in your argument is that it is "Budget" but the platform you need to compare it is the HEDT not the main stream platform which means that Ryzen is punching well and truly above its weight.
asho444 is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old Yesterday, 4:38 PM   #4592
Dragonfly
Member
 
Dragonfly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 4,121
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by asho444 View Post
What you seem to keep forgetting is that Ryzen is aimed at the Mainstream z270 Platform not the x99/x299 platform. in which case it smashes everything it has to offer other than gaming at 1080p.
The only CPU that beats Ryzen on Z270 is the 7700K, but look at the price/performance to Ryzen and AMD wins easily hands down.

The fact you can get a 6 core 12 thread CPU for under $300 is amazing. But somehow it being priced cheap is bad since Intel is a lot more expensive platform, so it must be a lot better right?
__________________
i5 3570K @4.5Ghz | Asus Maximus V Gene | 16GB GSkill Ripjaws | Asus Strix RX470 | Corsair RM650X PSU | Fractal Define C | Asus VG248QE & Dell U2412M
DesignInfusion
Dragonfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 5:08 PM   #4593
Bertross
Member
 
Bertross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Melb, CBD
Posts: 12,502
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
The only CPU that beats Ryzen on Z270 is the 7700K, but look at the price/performance to Ryzen and AMD wins easily hands down.

The fact you can get a 6 core 12 thread CPU for under $300 is amazing. But somehow it being priced cheap is bad since Intel is a lot more expensive platform, so it must be a lot better right?
Dont talk common sense around these waters. Youll be blown out of the water.
__________________

ASUS GTX 1070 STRIX OC | RYZEN 1700+H100I | ASUS ROG BIG HERO 6+SAMSUNG 950 PRO M.2 | 32GB TRIDENT Z RGB 3000 | PHANTEKS ENTHOO EVOLV TEMPERED | DELL U3415W 34"
Bertross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 5:16 PM   #4594
Court Jester
Member
 
Court Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Gold Coast
Posts: 753
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by asho444 View Post
So the rushed launch buggy launch is different to x299 how?

What you seem to keep forgetting is that Ryzen is aimed at the Mainstream z270 Platform not the x99/x299 platform. in which case it smashes everything it has to offer other than gaming at 1080p.

another fault in your argument is that it is "Budget" but the platform you need to compare it is the HEDT not the main stream platform which means that Ryzen is punching well and truly above its weight.
x299 is not filled with bugs, the VRM thermal issue is because motherboard manufacturers went for aesthetics over function for the VRM heatsinks, but I agree the launch could have been handled better here as well but it is not intels fault entirely here like AMD.

again ryzen is a 2nd tier budget build you can say what you want it does not change the facts the performance crown is still with intel, you buy amd as you want a budget bang for ya buck system, I have never said differently AMD is good value for money just not the best performance
__________________
Many suscessful trades over the past 11 years
------------------------------------------------
Current system: i7 3820 @ 4.6ghz

Last edited by Court Jester; Yesterday at 5:38 PM.
Court Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 5:42 PM   #4595
cbjaust
Member
 
cbjaust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 920
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratzz View Post
x2 = 3480Mhz so you are actually running c14-3480
1740MHz = 3480MT/s Yes, I know.
__________________
MAIN AMD FX-8350 @ 4.78GHz | Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | 16GB G.Skill TridentX | Radeon R9 280X 3GB
HTPC AMD A8-7650K @ 3.8GHz | ASRock FM2A88X-ITX+ | 8GB G.Skill Ares | Radeon R7 Graphics on-board
SERVER AMD Phenom II X4 940 @ 3.4GHz | DFI DK 790FXB-M2RSH | 8GB G.Skill PI | Radeon HD5670 1GB
cbjaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 5:47 PM   #4596
gregpolk
Member
 
gregpolk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 7,357
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Court Jester View Post
all that is correct, amd rushed ryzen release to market t and as a consequence is a buggy ill planned launch of a product that was clearly not ready. AMD is losing financially which is possibly a reason why, and at the end of the day no one buys AMD for out right performance it has generally been a 2nd rate (performance wise) platform to intel that is lower priced for those on a budget.


I will call a spade a spade and I myself buy those budget AMD systems because of that they are budget -- cheap bang for ya buck -- but I don't confuse a budget 2nd tier system to a performance leader like Intel which charges accordingly for their clear market leading products. Ryzen is good for the money but even on release, it was a long way off the top performance which was still a x99 platform.and people buying ryzen were doing so for the only reason any one buys amd is it is good value for money.
But if multithreaded performance is what you need, and you don't want to piss money down the toilet you do buy AMD for out right performance.

Good value doesn't make a device a shitty 'budget' option. A 7700k is a much better value option for a gamer than a 7900x. Is the 7700k a 2nd tier budget device? No its a top tier high IPC/Clock speed gaming chip. It depends on the use case.

I don't know who in their right mind would buy an i5 right now over ryzen. To be honest the only CPUs from intel on z270 that make any sense to me are the cheapest pentium and the 7700k.
gregpolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 5:57 PM   #4597
Court Jester
Member
 
Court Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Gold Coast
Posts: 753
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregpolk View Post
But if multithreaded performance is what you need, and you don't want to piss money down the toilet you do buy AMD for out right performance.
again that is my point you are buying AMD because it is good value for money not because it is a performance leader.

Not that there is anything wrong with that, but you need to call a spade a spade and recognise it for what it is -- a bang for ya buck product.
__________________
Many suscessful trades over the past 11 years
------------------------------------------------
Current system: i7 3820 @ 4.6ghz
Court Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 6:04 PM   #4598
adamsleath
Member
 
adamsleath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Sunnybank Q4109
Posts: 7,404
Default

if one actually needs more cores for highly multi-threaded apps...what sort of an idiot would be paying for an intel platform that demonstrably is beaten by the amd offerings on price/performance basis ?



the imminent mainstream coffeelake 6c/12t wont clock as high as the 7700k. id think most would be very lucky to get higher than 4.5ghz. more likely 4.2-3...so intel can take the piss on amd with their itty bitty ipc and mhz lead

imo

...plus the am4 platform will continue to develop.

i am however hopeful that amd stick with the am4 socket and bring out their improved chips as time goes by as they have indicated to the press....but thats a great money making strategy from intel to increase chipset sales by changing sockets as many times as possible
__________________
"Sometimes in my business you have to create a value for something which really isn't there. Some people call it sales... but other people call it...Lieing" - Matchstick Men

i7 QM 22nm ivy bridge 3.2GHz . 16GB ddr3 . 7970M . Win7pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sipheren View Post
That's just my opinion and no-one has to share it nor do I need to be converted.

Last edited by adamsleath; Yesterday at 6:12 PM.
adamsleath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 6:08 PM   #4599
Dragonfly
Member
 
Dragonfly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 4,121
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregpolk View Post
To be honest the only CPUs from intel on z270 that make any sense to me are the cheapest pentium and the 7700k.
That might change as well when Ryzen 3 launches.
__________________
i5 3570K @4.5Ghz | Asus Maximus V Gene | 16GB GSkill Ripjaws | Asus Strix RX470 | Corsair RM650X PSU | Fractal Define C | Asus VG248QE & Dell U2412M
DesignInfusion
Dragonfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 6:24 PM   #4600
MUTMAN
Member
 
MUTMAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: brisvegas
Posts: 4,354
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamsleath View Post
...what sort of an idiot would be paying for an intel platform that demonstrably is beaten by the amd offerings on price/performance basis ? ....
apparently there is at least one that frequents this thread
MUTMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Sign up for a free OCAU account and this ad will go away!

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time now is 12:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
OCAU is not responsible for the content of individual messages posted by others.
Other content copyright Overclockers Australia.
OCAU is hosted by Micron21!