Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > Networking, Telephony & Internet

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 27th May 2017, 4:20 PM   #661
Embercide

Quote:
Originally Posted by power View Post
Oh yeah Telstra would never do that.

Good thing we gauge internet on smell though.

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&s...xrC5ZqhZELQSDA
In all fairness it was their cheaper 'Belong' service

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 27th May 2017, 4:25 PM   #662
power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Embercide View Post
In all fairness it was their cheaper 'Belong' service
What fairness is that, oversubscribe your budget offering deliberately?
Old 27th May 2017, 4:32 PM   #663
Embercide

Quote:

Putting my business hat on, why would anyone pay $15 more for Telstra if Belong was just as fast?

Last edited by Embercide; 27th May 2017 at 4:34 PM.
Embercide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2017, 4:36 PM   #664
SLIMaxPower

Show me a residential isp that doesn't oversubscribe and i will show you a politician who doesn't lie.
Main System: Motherboard Asrock Z97 Fatal1ty CPU 4690k @ 4400 HSF Nocturna Nh-D14 RAM 16GB 2133 DDR3 Potenza Black GPU GTX980ti Monitors 1 x 34" Samsung Curved 3 x 23" Samsung Accessory Displays HDD Boot: Samsung 950 500Gb Steam: Sandisk 480Gb PSU XFX 1000wt 80Plus Platnium Case Bitfennex Colussus
PFsense Box: N36L 16Gb ecc Freenas Server 1: ML10v2 Xeon 1261V3 32Gb ecc 48Tb
SLIMaxPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2017, 4:58 PM   #665
mareke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Embercide View Post
The TPGs and Internodes of the NBN world all smell oversubscribed to me. I can't see them buying the same amount of bandwidth per customer that Telstra would for the prices they're charging.

Still not as bad as dodo though
I've been with TPG for many years for ADSL2 and have never had a problem but I basically just do web browsing. I was thinking of trying Dodo if I move to my investment property which has NBN but I'll think twice about it after seeing your post. Dodo has stands in shopping centres and a guy I spoke to at one made it sound like a good alternative to TPG but he wasn't exactly unbiased and gets a commission for each customer he signs up. Dodo was bought by M2 Telecom I believe.
mareke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2017, 5:33 PM   #666
caspian

Quote:
well, if people are going to buy on the basis of price over all else, the provider has to cut their costs in line with what they can see it for.

as Embercide said - there has to be some sort of quality differential or they are just going to cannibalise their own premium brand. that's what irritates me most about TPG buying iiNet/Internode - I'm afraid they are not going to maintain the premium offering for those who want it.

that said, TPG have quite surprised me of late. I can't comment on the quality of their customer service etc, but their network offering seems to be improving so credit where credit is due.

Please do not contact me directly for advice on NBN related issues. Your ISP is your contact point for support. If they can't or more likely won't help you, why are you rewarding them with your business?
caspian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2017, 5:53 PM   #667
Ck21

Quote:
Originally Posted by caspian View Post
well, if people are going to buy on the basis of price over all else, the provider has to cut their costs in line with what they can see it for.

as Embercide said - there has to be some sort of quality differential or they are just going to cannibalise their own premium brand. that's what irritates me most about TPG buying iiNet/Internode - I'm afraid they are not going to maintain the premium offering for those who want it.

that said, TPG have quite surprised me of late. I can't comment on the quality of their customer service etc, but their network offering seems to be improving so credit where credit is due.
well their email service (internode) has degraded to shit since the tpg takeover.

their spam filters dont work, and manual settings are reset account wide if your filters cause even the slightest bit of extra work for the email server. (i had spam filter turned up to 9 for each mailbox, and 1 mailbox had about 43 strict vanish rules for spam that made it pass the generic spam filter, which gets reset to default every 2nd day).

So now that FTTN has been activated in my area, im not only looking for a different, premium ISP, but looking into getting my own domain/hosted email service on top.

Been a loyal internode customer since 2006, will be jumping ship ASAP
Geforce GTX1070 8GB
Ck21 is online now   Reply With Quote