Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > Portable & Small Form Factor

Notices


Sign up for a free OCAU account and this ad will go away!
Search our forums with Google:
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 26th May 2017, 12:55 PM   #31
Bold Eagle
Member
 
Bold Eagle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 5,696
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narcoticx2 View Post
How's the battery life?

I'd give it a clean install of windows 10 and then hit up ninite.com for your installers and runtimes
Agree with a fresh install and fully patched.

Late edit: Security I use (only ever the free versions):
- Malwarebytes,
- SUPERAntiSpyware Free Edition,
- SpywareBlaster, with
- Windows Defender.

For PDF I like Foxit Reader over Adobe.
__________________
PC3: Cardboard Box, peanut dispenser, highly conc caffine intravenous drip, little monkey w "electro El Shocko rectal probe", 3DMarkVantage=276818768

Last edited by Bold Eagle; 26th May 2017 at 1:35 PM.
Bold Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 26th May 2017, 1:18 PM   #32
asho444
Member
 
asho444's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Emerald QLD
Posts: 88
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stooge007 View Post
so the Toshiba Portege R930 arrived yesterday (i5 3320m, 250gb SSD, 8gb RAM, Win10 64)

only got a chance to have a little play last night

physical condition is pretty good, only minor gripe is the "R" key on the keyboard is on a bit of a tilt, but still works 100%

in terms of speed, it's plenty fast enough for what i need it for

any must have programs for a new laptop?

anything else i should test thoroughly? they have a change of mind policy, subject to a 15% restocking fee

cheers all
one thing you may or may not know i never, ever Defrag a SSD, it will shorten its lifespan considerably. not that i think you can on windows 10 anymore
asho444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2017, 2:34 PM   #33
Stooge007 Thread Starter
Member
 
Stooge007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: The Shire, Sydney
Posts: 8,589
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narcoticx2 View Post
How's the battery life?

I'd give it a clean install of windows 10 and then hit up ninite.com for your installers and runtimes
not sure on battery life, haven't really played with it too much yet

not sure it came with a Windows product key, so not sure about a fresh install

or can you access the product key from within Win10 itself???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bold Eagle View Post
Agree with a fresh install and fully patched.

Late edit: Security I use (only ever the free versions):
- Malwarebytes,
- SUPERAntiSpyware Free Edition,
- SpywareBlaster, with
- Windows Defender.

For PDF I like Foxit Reader over Adobe.
thanks, will check them out

Quote:
Originally Posted by asho444 View Post
one thing you may or may not know i never, ever Defrag a SSD, it will shorten its lifespan considerably. not that i think you can on windows 10 anymore
thanks, i didn't know that!
__________________
I am a registered Tax Agent and run an accounting/bookkeeping practice

www.precisetaxsolutions.com.au
Stooge007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2017, 4:44 PM   #34
Narcoticx2
Member
 
Narcoticx2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: 4158 Brisbane, Queensland
Posts: 4,252
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stooge007 View Post
or can you access the product key from within Win10 itself???
Hit start, press the little settings button (it's a cog), then click update and security, then activation, it'll tell you if it's with a key, or a digital licence.

If it's a digital licence, you'll be able to download the windows 10 installer from microsoft for your exact version, and then reinstall it and it'll reactivate automagically.
__________________
3570k - H61M-ITX - 16GB - 1TB - GTX750Ti 2GB - SG05B
Narcoticx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2017, 2:56 PM   #35
Stooge007 Thread Starter
Member
 
Stooge007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: The Shire, Sydney
Posts: 8,589
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narcoticx2 View Post
Hit start, press the little settings button (it's a cog), then click update and security, then activation, it'll tell you if it's with a key, or a digital licence.

If it's a digital licence, you'll be able to download the windows 10 installer from microsoft for your exact version, and then reinstall it and it'll reactivate automagically.
digital licence, now linked to a new microsoft account

thanks
__________________
I am a registered Tax Agent and run an accounting/bookkeeping practice

www.precisetaxsolutions.com.au
Stooge007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:10 PM   #36
ae00711
Member
 
ae00711's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,004
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bold Eagle View Post
If you can aim for 'dual channel DDR4' RAM for the best performance.
best performance? sure.
huge tangible difference? no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bold Eagle View Post
You haven't noted the Gen of the CPU's in your assessment - that makes a massive difference!
utter bullshit.
there is sweet jack all difference gen to gen, why you think everyone dislikes how intel drags its feet year after year??



@Stooge007: right click the SSD and un-check indexing... also, HerdProtect for anti-everything
__________________
I LOVE CHING LIU
SMOKING IS UN-AUSTRALIAN
I prefer email to PM!

ae00711 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 6:25 PM   #37
Bold Eagle
Member
 
Bold Eagle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 5,696
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ae00711 View Post
utter bullshit.
there is sweet jack all difference gen to gen, why you think everyone dislikes how intel drags its feet year after year??



@Stooge007: right click the SSD and un-check indexing... also, HerdProtect for anti-everything
True comment apart from the Intel 1st to 2nd gen - no massive difference since.

Herd Protect is also very good.
__________________
PC3: Cardboard Box, peanut dispenser, highly conc caffine intravenous drip, little monkey w "electro El Shocko rectal probe", 3DMarkVantage=276818768
Bold Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Sign up for a free OCAU account and this ad will go away!

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time now is 7:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
OCAU is not responsible for the content of individual messages posted by others.
Other content copyright Overclockers Australia.
OCAU is hosted by Micron21!