Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > Networking, Telephony & Internet

Notices

Old 17th July 2017, 2:19 AM   #931
fredhoon

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredhoon View Post
My folks couldn't find a letter from Telstra, apparently they only received 3x letters from DoDo, TPG and iiNet.

Is there a special phone number for Telstra NBN transitions? Their backdoor into the Velocity call centre isn't helping avoid re-contracting when switching to NBN.
Sleepy helped me out over PM with a couple of Telstra NBN phone numbers, some of which I had also found on Telstra crowd-support pages. In the end it won't be needed as the AU call centre confirmed they were not infact on a contract ( Outsourced callcentre KPIs).

My old folks' legacy Telstra HFC connection is now up and running again as of 11pm Friday night (following a 3week outage), it only took 3x NBN Techs and 1x Telstra tech to sort it out + several hours on the phone with various Telstra callentres and case managers.

According to the chinese whispers (conversations between my old man and the various sub-contractors), NBN HFC subbies use a $4k scope whereas Telstra HFC subbies have a $10k scope to analyse & troubleshoot the HFC Network. Coupled with the fact that most NBN "techs" are about 17.5yo on average and (possibly) paid a fixed callout/job fee, there is no incentive to do anything beyond the minimum. The 1st and 3rd callouts (NBN Co.) were not all that useful, 1st was NFF -> refer Telstra & 3rd was fault in lead-in.

The Telstra tech (with the superior diagnostic equipment) suggested it was likely a lead-in or Tap issue. After a bit of ranting and raving (in an attempt to get a Frontier router), the "lead-in replacement" job was escalated and a NBN contractor who looks after the network turned up at 9:30pm on Friday night and replaced a corroded tap in the pit and fixed the Internet.

Moral of a long winded story - both NBN and Telstra subbies agree that Telstra are more experienced at troubleshooting the HFC network, even if they are only allowed to touch post NTU.
go soothingly on the grease mud as they're lurks a skid demon
fredhoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2017, 7:57 PM   #932
negatron

So my supposed go live date for nbn has come and gone. Can any one in the know help me find out how far away it might be?
negatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2017, 8:33 PM   #933
money_killer

Got a letter in mail final fixed wireless (it will be complete rubbish i can already see it ) over the next 18 months
Old 18th July 2017, 8:25 AM   #934
Plonkflopped

Quote:
Originally Posted by negatron View Post
So my supposed go live date for nbn has come and gone. Can any one in the know help me find out how far away it might be?
Good luck with that. Mine was meant to be live almost 2 months ago now.
Plonkflopped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2017, 8:56 AM   #935
asho444

switch over to fttn today fingers crossed.
asho444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2017, 8:11 PM   #936
Alby1976

Saw the truck laying cable for FTTN around the corner from my place on way home from work.
Cmon NBN, save from this 3.5Mbit connection
Old 18th July 2017, 10:40 PM   #937
guy.incogneto

Got mine set up today. Pretty happy with it.. (as happy as anyone can be with fttn)

7 year old area, 120m from the node, Telstra with 100mb speed boost

On adsl I was getting modem line speed of 20mbps down and 1.2mbps up. Actual downloads were around 16mbps down and 1mbps up during off peak times.

With nbn, I'm getting line speed of 83mbps down and 32mbps up. Actual download speeds are all over the place at the moment, the highest during off peak so far is around 70mbps down and 30mbps up.
guy.incogneto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2017, 12:26 AM   #938
Ratzz

It turns out the 'fault' in my line that they sent an Optus guy, then a Telstra guy, out to diagnose, was in fact the NBN switching off my phone line after considering my place ready to hook up.

Sadly its not hooked up at all, the driveway still hasn't been dug up and I still don't have a line. New date is now 8th August. Original date was March 17th.

So now I have neither a phone line, DSL or the NBN. I demanded and received unlimited shared data for my phones, since I'm using the phones as Hotspots, a week or so back. Now I have some monkey telling me that they would never offer such a deal. I had to send a PDF transcript of the conversation..

They can like it or not, I have it in writing from one of their reps that I have unlimited data, I think the TIO would back me on that.

South Korea still looks good though.

My Rig- Nokia 830, with silicone jacket upgrade.
Ratzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2017, 10:27 AM   #939
cvidler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratzz View Post
It turns out the 'fault' in my line that they sent an Optus guy, then a Telstra guy, out to diagnose, was in fact the NBN switching off my phone line after considering my place ready to hook up.

Sadly its not hooked up at all, the driveway still hasn't been dug up and I still don't have a line. New date is now 8th August. Original date was March 17th.

So now I have neither a phone line, DSL or the NBN. I demanded and received unlimited shared data for my phones, since I'm using the phones as Hotspots, a week or so back. Now I have some monkey telling me that they would never offer such a deal. I had to send a PDF transcript of the conversation..

They can like it or not, I have it in writing from one of their reps that I have unlimited data, I think the TIO would back me on that.

South Korea still looks good though.
that'd be a hilarious dilbert strip series if it weren't real life.
cvidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2017, 10:54 AM   #940
Quadbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvidler View Post
that'd be a hilarious dilbert strip series if it weren't real life.
But then, the same could be said of most dilbert strips
Quadbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2017, 12:26 PM   #941
caspian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratzz View Post
the NBN does not do that. you're in a HFC area, NBN are not taking ownership of the copper there. either Telstra or your provider disconnected the service themselves.

Please do not contact me directly for advice on NBN related issues. Your ISP is your contact point for support. If they can't or more likely won't help you, why are you rewarding them with your business?
caspian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2017, 2:13 PM   #942
Ratzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by caspian View Post
the NBN does not do that. you're in a HFC area, NBN are not taking ownership of the copper there. either Telstra or your provider disconnected the service themselves.
Yep, we came home today to find a Telstra tech just leaving (he was supposed to be here tomorrow) and he says the same thing. It appears what happened is that while someone? was up the pole, they managed to cut my phone wires..

More disinformation from the monkeys on the phone..

I now have DSL back (3 up, 1 down ) but at least it's something until the NBN boys get here.

My Rig- Nokia 830, with silicone jacket upgrade.

Last edited by Ratzz; 19th July 2017 at 6:19 PM.
Ratzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2017, 6:16 PM   #943
MR CHILLED
D'oh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by negatron View Post
So my supposed go live date for nbn has come and gone.
I was warned about that a while back when I naively expected mine would be done on time. Guess we will find out this coming September.
Old 19th July 2017, 6:55 PM   #944
Daemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR CHILLED View Post
I was warned about that a while back when I naively expected mine would be done on time. Guess we will find out this coming September.
There was a good rant about missed NBN appointments and delays on reddit recently and the OP had nearly 3 months of delays.

The most voted comment was "how did you get preferential treatment?!"

~ 80 days for FTTP first time around from the date of the first tech for me, and this was during ALP days. This was compounded by the fact that they'd disturbed all of the cable in the pits a month earlier, reducing our DSL from 22Mbit to 8Mbit... and intermittent. Nobody would take responsibility.

NBN is just a clusterfuck through and through.
Old 19th July 2017, 9:23 PM   #945
MR CHILLED
D'oh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
There was a good rant about missed NBN appointments and delays on reddit recently and the OP had nearly 3 months of delays.

The most voted comment was "how did you get preferential treatment?!"
Ok, so we should all expect at least 3 months of delays then?

Great, I'm happy to stay on 100Mb/s cable