Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Pets & Animals

Notices

Old 17th July 2017, 10:34 PM   #1621
afcca

Shadow gets Fuzzycat from me and Fatcat from my dad, both of which she comes to if called... Strange aminal.
afcca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2017, 8:38 AM   #1622
mareke

Took my cat to the vet yesterday to be vaccinated with Fel-O-Vax 5 that protects against feline enteritis, feline calicivirus, feline herpesvirus, chlamydia & feline leukaemia. Probably unnecessary since cats get these mainly from other cats and my cat is an indoors cat that doesn't come into contact with other cats but the vet recommended it. The last time my cat had been vaccinated was 12 years ago before I picked him up as a 3 month old kitten from the Animal Welfare League. I didn't know that these conditions existed until my cat recently got cat flu (I'm guessing he had a mild version of calicivirus). The vaccine won't stop my cat getting the flu again but according to what I read vaccinated cats tend to suffer milder symptoms if they have been vaccinated. After the injection my cat became drowsy and wouldn't eat and he still hasn't shown signs of being hungry this morning. This apparently is fairly normal. He's perked up though and looks to be getting back to normal.

The vet wants me to collect urine from the cat by removing the normal pellets in his litter tray and dropping a small number of pieces of plastic into the tray. Then when the cat urinates I'm supposed to use a syringe to collect it. The purpose of the urine analysis is to test his kidney function. If his kidneys were stuffed then presumably they wouldn't be able to do much anyway. He's healthy so his kidneys would be fine. It's probably just an excuse to make money from tests. I'm not convinced that it's worth doing or whether my cat will urinate into a tray with a few bits of plastic in the bottom of it! Has anyone else collected urine from their cat by using this method?
mareke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2017, 9:40 AM   #1623
Ohmigosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoSmiley View Post
Out of curiosity do people have nicknames for their cats? We have quite a few for ours but I wasn't sure if it was just a thing we did.
Cat 1: Frank - Gets called Frank (when he's in trouble) or Franklin/Frankie when he's being a good boy

Cat 2: Pippen - Gets called Pippen or Pips

Cat 3: Charlie - Gets called Charlie

Last edited by Ohmigosh; 19th July 2017 at 9:42 AM. Reason: Context quote
Ohmigosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2017, 10:23 AM   #1624
broccoli

Quote:
Originally Posted by mareke View Post
Has anyone else collected urine from their cat by using this method?
I may have done with my first cat, using an empty tray. Any time it's been necessary more recently, I've just sent him/her to the vet's and they take care of it. Partly because I've got a menagerie and confining someone alone to know for sure it's theirs can be a problem.

In your case, I'd certainly give it a go. With one cat, it shouldn't be too difficult. She shouldn't just reject her tray because the litter isn't in it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankari View Post
I expected this to be bad, but they really put the effort in and took it to a whole new level of atrocious.
broccoli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2017, 10:38 AM   #1625
mareke

Quote:
Originally Posted by broccoli View Post
I may have done with my first cat, using an empty tray. Any time it's been necessary more recently, I've just sent him/her to the vet's and they take care of it. Partly because I've got a menagerie and confining someone alone to know for sure it's theirs can be a problem.

In your case, I'd certainly give it a go. With one cat, it shouldn't be too difficult. She shouldn't just reject her tray because the litter isn't in it.
I'll give it a go. It's a pain doing it and I'm not convinced it's necessary. A blood test to make sure the cat's medication for his hyperthyroid condition is working properly ought to be enough. The vet was one I hadn't dealt with before and she did some funny things. Poking a thermometer up his bum I understand but smelling inside each of his ears made no sense to me!
Old 19th July 2017, 10:42 AM   #1626
power

Quote:
Took my cat to the vet yesterday to be vaccinated with Fel-O-Vax 5 that protects against feline enteritis, feline calicivirus, feline herpesvirus, chlamydia & feline leukaemia. Probably unnecessary since cats get these mainly from other cats and my cat is an indoors cat that doesn't come into contact with other cats but the vet recommended it. The last time my cat had been vaccinated was 12 years ago before I picked him up as a 3 month old kitten from the Animal Welfare League. I didn't know that these conditions existed until my cat recently got cat flu (I'm guessing he had a mild version of calicivirus). The vaccine won't stop my cat getting the flu again but according to what I read vaccinated cats tend to suffer milder symptoms if they have been vaccinated. After the injection my cat became drowsy and wouldn't eat and he still hasn't shown signs of being hungry this morning. This apparently is fairly normal. He's perked up though and looks to be getting back to normal.

The vet wants me to collect urine from the cat by removing the normal pellets in his litter tray and dropping a small number of pieces of plastic into the tray. Then when the cat urinates I'm supposed to use a syringe to collect it. The purpose of the urine analysis is to test his kidney function. If his kidneys were stuffed then presumably they wouldn't be able to do much anyway. He's healthy so his kidneys would be fine. It's probably just an excuse to make money from tests. I'm not convinced that it's worth doing or whether my cat will urinate into a tray with a few bits of plastic in the bottom of it! Has anyone else collected urine from their cat by using this method?
I had to do this last week.

Buy some "Catrine". It's non-absorbent litter.

I was a little worried as my cats blood sugar was a bit high (he's diabetic), turned out he had a mild UTI but that's all thankfully hopefully once that passes he'll go back to normal.

Don't mess around with the tests. Just get them done. If your urine analysis comes back with high glucose or ketones they'll want him in to do a blood test.
Old 19th July 2017, 10:51 AM   #1627
mareke

Quote:
Originally Posted by power View Post
I had to do this last week.

Buy some "Catrine". It's non-absorbent litter.

I was a little worried as my cats blood sugar was a bit high (he's diabetic), turned out he had a mild UTI but that's all thankfully hopefully once that passes he'll go back to normal.

Don't mess around with the tests. Just get them done. If your urine analysis comes back with high glucose or ketones they'll want him in to do a blood test.
Thanks for the suggestion. Catrine sounds a lot better than the handful of little plastic cylinders I was given. I'll see if Pet Barn sells it and use that instead.
Old 19th July 2017, 11:12 AM   #1628
power

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion. Catrine sounds a lot better than the handful of little plastic cylinders I was given. I'll see if Pet Barn sells it and use that instead.
I would assume they actually gave you a handful of something like Catrine - it's $17 for a little bag. It actually comes with a handy syringe which is nice - but yeah, one use and also it's cheaper than booking into the vet and having them do it for you.

Last edited by power; 19th July 2017 at 11:15 AM.
power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2017, 11:13 AM   #1629
broccoli

Quote:
but smelling inside each of his ears made no sense to me!
Yeast (and other) infections smell.

I agree with Power, just do the recommended tests. The vet sounds thorough in looking after your puss.
Quote:
I expected this to be bad, but they really put the effort in and took it to a whole new level of atrocious.
Old 19th July 2017, 11:31 AM   #1630
mareke

Quote:
Originally Posted by power View Post
I would assume they actually gave you a handful of something like Catrine - it's $17 for a little bag. It actually comes with a handy syringe which is nice - but yeah, one use and also it's cheaper than booking into the vet and having them do it for you.
I was given probably around 50 empty plastic cylinders about 4 cm long and 3mm in diameter to spread on the bottom of the litter tray. Expecting the cat to piss onto those seemed unnatural to say the least especially as I use a large plastic storage box as a litter tray which is enclosed in a plastic dog kennel to minimise dust. The cat goes into the dog kennel jumps into the storage box and does his business after parting the litter.
Old 19th July 2017, 11:52 AM   #1631
power

Quote:
I was given probably around 50 empty plastic cylinders about 4 cm long and 3mm in diameter to spread on the bottom of the litter tray. Expecting the cat to piss onto those seemed unnatural to say the least especially as I use a large plastic storage box as a litter tray which is enclosed in a plastic dog kennel to minimise dust. The cat goes into the dog kennel jumps into the storage box and does his business after parting the litter.
We have an indoor cat so it's easier to convince him.
Old 7th August 2017, 5:56 PM   #1632
broccoli

Anyone want some cats?

So, they start going "dinner! dinner!". They usually think it's dinner time before I do but when I looked at the clock, thinking it'd be about 4 or something, it was half past two! They've been carrying on since then. Sheez. Enough already.
Quote:
Old 8th August 2017, 9:23 AM   #1633
PsychoSmiley

Squirrel (Boof/Boofaloof/Buddy/Buddy Cat/Cheeks/Dr.Cheeks/Dr.Buddy Cheeks) had to be dropped off to the vet this morning to have surgery to attempt to sort out his entropion. We've tried all manner of stuff to sort it but it's just here to stay so they need to remove some skin under his eyes to make it more taught so the eyelid can't roll in. Given his FIV we need to do something to avoid any infections or issues.
Old 8th August 2017, 9:49 AM   #1634
broccoli

Thinking of you, Squirrel.
Quote:
Old 8th August 2017, 1:39 PM   #1635
PsychoSmiley

Surgery went fine and he's waking up. I've got to call in about 20 minutes for a checkup and hopefully should pick him up on the way home.

God I hope they didn't have to shave his cheek fluffs.