OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Pets & Animals

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 22nd October 2009, 5:37 PM   #1501
SaWBLaDe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTMAN View Post
hey sawblade, i'm no expert but i'd wait for the nitrate levels to start to rise (while the others stay at zero) this is sure fire way to tell if properly cycled..
yeah i was not going to run out right now to get more fish i will probably test the water again for the next day or two and see what happens.

also note the nitrate was present a couple days ago then i did a water change yesterday and its gone down quite a bit.

P.S what i thought was one snail in my tank has turned out to be at least 6 or so tiny snails :O so i think i will be taking some (if not all) of them out before they become a problem.

and also i noticed a white "slime" growing on the rubber on the top of my heater and on the suction cups that hold it on, is it pretty safe to assume thats algae? i have noticed the fish picking at it too.

hopefully when i add the oto he will take care of any algae

Last edited by SaWBLaDe; 22nd October 2009 at 5:43 PM.
SaWBLaDe is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 22nd October 2009, 5:39 PM   #1502
SaWBLaDe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukey View Post
Is there any way to cool down tanks without a chiller? I have a few of those surface fans being shipped to me, but yesterday the temperature rose right up to 27 degrees or so, and hasn't seen to move yet really.

I was previously having problems keeping it warm enough constantly, but once it gets hot it's not cooling down very quickly at all! Has me a little concerned, don't really want to fork out cash for a chiller right now. Not really sure if there's anything else I could do to help the situation.....

Suggestions?
get a soft drink bottle fill it with water and freeze it then (with the cap on) float it in the tank. this should help cool the water and not affect the water conditions.

i cant see any reason why that should be a problem, then again i'm new to this stuff.

Last edited by SaWBLaDe; 22nd October 2009 at 5:47 PM.
Old 22nd October 2009, 6:21 PM   #1503
Lukey

Yeah just dunno how much it'll cool, plus kind of inconvenient with a big bottle hanging round in the sump heh, but will give it a try and see I guess!
Old 22nd October 2009, 11:54 PM   #1504
spedwards

Frozen water bottles have a limited effect and generally all you end up with is a soft drink bottle full of tank temperature water. Evaporative cooling is about the best option without a chiller, or if you've got A/C you can use this to cool the house down. The main thing is to make sure you've got plenty of aeration in the tank - as the temps get higher the dissolved oxygen decreases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaWBLaDe View Post
also note the nitrate was present a couple days ago then i did a water change yesterday and its gone down quite a bit.
Unless you've got some sort of anaerobic filter material in there the only effective way to reduce your nitrates is to do water changes. Just keep an eye on the levels and so long as the ammonia and nitrites stay at 0 and the nitrates go up you're all set. The nitrates going up is the important part as it tells you that the rest of the process must be working!
Old 23rd October 2009, 5:30 PM   #1505
SaWBLaDe

Quote:
Originally Posted by spedwards View Post
Unless you've got some sort of anaerobic filter material in there the only effective way to reduce your nitrates is to do water changes. Just keep an eye on the levels and so long as the ammonia and nitrites stay at 0 and the nitrates go up you're all set. The nitrates going up is the important part as it tells you that the rest of the process must be working!
hmm, something strange is happening, i ran some tests again today and ammonia is 0, nitrite is 0 and nitrate is showing 0 or very close to it.

my only guess is maybe its the Anubias taking in the nitrate? i'm really confused now.

the plant does seem to be doing rather well, i've gotten new shoots and leaves that have grown pretty quickly too.
Old 23rd October 2009, 6:38 PM   #1506
japes

So my Orange Heads are hitting breeding size. Decided to take some shots yesterday but I really need to give the tank a good algae cleanout as I've been lazy lately - perhaps a wipedown on the outside of the glass too.

Have a couple of males with females ready to go, tubes down, rocks clean - no action yet though. Perhaps the rooms a little busy.
japes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2009, 7:28 PM   #1507
HYP

Quote:
Originally Posted by japes View Post
So my Orange Heads are hitting breeding size. Decided to take some shots yesterday but I really need to give the tank a good algae cleanout as I've been lazy lately - perhaps a wipedown on the outside of the glass too.

Have a couple of males with females ready to go, tubes down, rocks clean - no action yet though. Perhaps the rooms a little busy.
hey japes, mine have been laying eggs on a slate but i dunno what to do. do u just leave them to do their job? i only have these guys in their own tank no other fish are in it.
HYP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2009, 7:49 PM   #1508
japes

Quote:
Originally Posted by HYP View Post
hey japes, mine have been laying eggs on a slate but i dunno what to do. do u just leave them to do their job? i only have these guys in their own tank no other fish are in it.
That's what I'd be doing, theyre generally pretty good parents. Mine are in a community tank so the fry will need to fend for themselves against some Tetra. Will see how they go when they're freeswimming.
Old 23rd October 2009, 10:03 PM   #1509
HYP

Quote:
That's what I'd be doing, theyre generally pretty good parents. Mine are in a community tank so the fry will need to fend for themselves against some Tetra. Will see how they go when they're freeswimming.
around wat ph do u set it at wen eggs are laid? they've laid eggs everytime, and i mean everytime ive changed or added water but only once have i seen free swimming fries in the tank..but they died in the end. have u tried removing the slate and placing it in a fry saver tank?
Old 23rd October 2009, 10:20 PM   #1510
japes

Quote:
around wat ph do u set it at wen eggs are laid? they've laid eggs everytime, and i mean everytime ive changed or added water but only once have i seen free swimming fries in the tank..but they died in the end. have u tried removing the slate and placing it in a fry saver tank?
Mine are just reaching breeding age and size. They're easy breeders so pH should be kept as is. Were you feeding the fry?
Old 23rd October 2009, 10:27 PM   #1511
HYP

Quote:
Mine are just reaching breeding age and size. They're easy breeders so pH should be kept as is. Were you feeding the fry?
oh wait the ones tat bred for me i think were orange heads. recently i bought a different colony which is said to be geo. araguai or something spelt like that. the colours are much more vibrant in my newest colony. last time with the "orange heads" the fries sometimes came out from the parent's mouth but would occassionally go bak in. so i didnt feed tat much to the parents since i didnt know while feeding would they also consume the fries :l are they the same species or different. they seem to be different due to colours.
Old 24th October 2009, 12:51 AM   #1512
japes

Quote:
oh wait the ones tat bred for me i think were orange heads. recently i bought a different colony which is said to be geo. araguai or something spelt like that. the colours are much more vibrant in my newest colony. last time with the "orange heads" the fries sometimes came out from the parent's mouth but would occassionally go bak in. so i didnt feed tat much to the parents since i didnt know while feeding would they also consume the fries :l are they the same species or different. they seem to be different due to colours.
There's 2 varieties of Orange Heads, I won't go into the mislabled location debacle that surrounds them.

Geophagus sp. "Araguaia Orange Head", which I have pictured above and are the more common in Australia.
Geophagus sp. "Tapajos Orange Head", which are rarer, by some accounts more vibrant, but very, very similiar.
Old 24th October 2009, 1:22 AM   #1513
locker

Hey guys i have stuck my tank up for sale on here if anyone is interested.

http://forums.overclockers.com.au/sh...1#post11046541

Thanks
locker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2009, 7:43 AM   #1514
HYP

Quote:
There's 2 varieties of Orange Heads, I won't go into the mislabled location debacle that surrounds them.

Geophagus sp. "Araguaia Orange Head", which I have pictured above and are the more common in Australia.
Geophagus sp. "Tapajos Orange Head", which are rarer, by some accounts more vibrant, but very, very similiar.
im assuming they are both mouthbrooders. so u just let them do their job? while layin eggs do u continue to feed? and also wen fries are hatched and sometimes take refuge in their parent's mouth do u continue feeding as well?
Old 24th October 2009, 12:53 PM   #1515
japes

Yes, continue feeding. Eartheaters should be fed extremely small food for their size, I feed 1mm New Life Spectrum pellets and crush up anything else that is larger using a mortar and pestle.