Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Pets & Animals

Notices

Old 31st December 2008, 8:27 PM   #751
Daft_Munt

Are we wanting to do an aquarium worklog thread each?
Daft_Munt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2009, 12:58 PM   #752
pugsley

I cant see a problem with that. I love reading about other peoples tanks and looking at how it progresses. It was Yodas marine worklog that got me interested in fishies in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by damn duck View Post
Why is it so easy to get "rational" people to fight one another over the most meaningless shit?
pugsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2009, 1:09 PM   #753
tgf

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsley View Post
I cant see a problem with that. I love reading about other peoples tanks and looking at how it progresses. It was Yodas marine worklog that got me interested in fishies in the first place.
Got linkage to this worklog?
tgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2009, 7:55 PM   #754
Daft_Munt

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgf View Post
Got linkage to this worklog?
http://forums.overclockers.com.au/sh...d.php?t=671636
Daft_Munt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2009, 6:55 PM   #755
Flohrie

I'm just about to start up my new high tech planted tank, just waiting for all the gear to arrive
Flohrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2009, 8:28 PM   #756
Reanimated35

algae control fluid.

is it harmful to the fish at all? i have this black crap stuck to the air hose in the tank and im pretty sure its algae but just wanted to check before i put the stuff in
Old 2nd January 2009, 9:54 PM   #757
Gazob

Well I picked up my tank on the 29th as previously posted, spent most of the 30th cleaning the glass, but apart from a little staining which is now mostly gone the glass was in great condition.

The tank came with a significant amount of gravel which I put straight in, probably should have washed and strained, but feel that i would use as much water as a thorough siphon and water change. Filled to about 70 % mark and put in the filters, heaters, airstones, and driftwood.

Did not have a thermometer at the time so trusted the jager heaters to be close to correct so fired them up at 24 degrees and left it go overnight.

Numbers on day + 1 looked good .25 ammonia(colour was a toss up between 0 and .25), 0 No2, 0 No3, PH 6.6

Went to the aquarium supplies the next day. New impeller shaft for filter number 2, some polishing mat for both filters, a bottle of Prime and a bottle of stability, a thermometer, and after a lengthy talk to the person in the shop 10 black widow tetras, and a big container of tetra colour granules.

Get home and first into the tank went the thermometer.

Started a drip into the bag of fish

New Impeller shaft into the fluval 305

Check the temperature, 30 degrees, both heaters still going strong, oops, they seem to be a little out, it felt easier to believe that a $3 thermometer was wrong then 2 $75 heaters so raced down the street for a second thermometer, it agreed with the first so reduced the heaters by 4 degrees each and started bucketing in cold water.

Double check the temp range for Black Widow Tetras, huge range depending on whom you trust, but really needed to be 27 at a comfortable max.

Tank 90 % full now, add quite a bit of prime and stability (as per intructions for each.

Let everything settle check the fish, they are happily swimming in their baggy comprising now 50% shop water and 50 % my water.

30 minutes after the last adjustment to the water in the tank start scooping the fish into the tank.

They dart around everywhere, seem happy enough and start schooling immediately.

The next morning no casualties, water at a more comfortable 25 degrees.

Parameters PH 6.6, Ammonia.25, No2 0, No3 5.0 (not much granularity on the api colour scale, is a toss up between 0 and 5 so err on the catious side).

In one of my numerous boxes of sundries there is a GH and KH test kit, so I run through these, but am not sure whether I have the wackiest water in the world, or the kit is out of date. GH 179 KH 17.9. Not really sure what this means, but someone is bound to tell me.

Feeding the fish time, How much are these little guys likely to eat. Ive read enough to know that I should only feed them enough so they eat for 3 minutes, but these guys go to town on the first tiny pinch, and then a second tiny pinch (fwiw they are between 2 and 3 cms each)

And then today
Parameters Temp 25 degrees, PH 6.4, Ammonia.25, No2 0, No3 5

Fish seem happy, they are constantly zoomin around the tank, playing loop the loop round the eheim spray bar. I am still waiting for the ammonia to begin to rise, but all is good at this point.

I realise a picture tells a thousand words, but I have misplaced both of my digital cameras, as soon as one turns up I will post a pic, of a very large tank with 10 silver flashes and 3 lumps of driftwood. FWIW here are the ebay pictures

Went out today looking for some plants, but java moss and fern both seem to be in short supply at each of the LFS's.

Before anyone says anything harsh, I understand the concept of fishless cycling, I take responsibility for doing it my way and will do the required testing and water changes to keep these guys as healthy as possible.

GaZ

Last edited by Gazob; 2nd January 2009 at 10:18 PM.
Gazob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2009, 10:03 PM   #758
Reanimated35

my black widow tetras survive in 30deg water. in this heat its usually 30-32deg. they dont seem to mind too much. even in winter they were never active fish though. (only 2 of them in the tank along with 1 guppy)
Old 5th January 2009, 9:42 AM   #759
k_sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reanimated35 View Post
algae control fluid.

is it harmful to the fish at all? i have this black crap stuck to the air hose in the tank and im pretty sure its algae but just wanted to check before i put the stuff in
Why use some chemical which probably will be detrimental to your fish, and maybe damage your bacteria? Algae can be a sign something is off in your tank, and you should fix the route cause. Most algaes are harmless anyway, and can be removed manually if its looks bad to you.

The only chemical you should routinely use in your tank is dechlorinator (obviously you may need meds if someone is sick, but if you water quality is good then they shouldn't get sick) and fertiliser if it's a planted tank.

http://www.theplantedtank.co.uk/algae.htm is a really good guide.
Old 5th January 2009, 12:44 PM   #760
tgf

Gazob: how much did you pay for all that stuff from eBay? I'd KILL for a tank setup like that. Was there any cost(s) in delivery? If so, how much etc etc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_sheep View Post
Why use some chemical which probably will be detrimental to your fish, and maybe damage your bacteria? Algae can be a sign something is off in your tank, and you should fix the route cause. Most algaes are harmless anyway, and can be removed manually if its looks bad to you.
The only chemical you should routinely use in your tank is dechlorinator (obviously you may need meds if someone is sick, but if you water quality is good then they shouldn't get sick) and fertiliser if it's a planted tank.
http://www.theplantedtank.co.uk/algae.htm is a really good guide.
I had a read of that algae guide from ThePlantedTank and I reckon I've got a case of Black Brush Algae, and thus the solution to the problem is to get better waterflow around the whole tank (as I have an AquaOne 980T, it's a fairly tall tank and thus waterflow closer to the bottom of the tank isnt nearly as much as it is at the top) and to increase my C02 levels.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to do either or both of these solutions?

Last edited by tgf; 5th January 2009 at 12:48 PM.
tgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2009, 1:55 PM   #761
Oosh

Wow Gazob, way to go, straight in to the deep end!

Personally I'd run temps down closer to 25C (unless your fish genuinely need higher), couple of reasons:
1) The higher the temp the greater the NH4 toxicity and the less dissolved oxygen in the water.
2) The higher than ambient you ask your heater to provide the more juice and therefore ca$h it sucks. In a large tank it does start to add up.
3) Depending on your fish lowering their activity levels can help with controlling aggression (i.e. Cichlids).

Ich Update
Now, back to my drama, after losing Bertie things have gone pretty well despite my best efforts at cocking it up.
I ripped out the second heater, adjusted the main one down a touch, and went on holiday. Little did I know I'd never plugged it back in and came home to a relatively cold tank!
But the weather has been kind and our house a pretty constant temp so it never went below 22.5C (min/max function on my thermo is great) and noone seems the worse for it.
All the Ich has cleared up so I did a 1/3 water change yesterday so they've had ~15 days in the full strength salt bath (~3g/L) and I'll keep doing changes every couple of days for the next week (lawn needs the water too )

All in all I'm pretty happy with recommending salt + temp for African Cichlids (my 5x loaches and 2x Cats did fine too).

Last edited by Oosh; 5th January 2009 at 2:11 PM.
Oosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2009, 3:13 PM   #762
Gazob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oosh View Post
Wow Gazob, way to go, straight in to the deep end!

Personally I'd run temps down closer to 25C (unless your fish genuinely need higher), couple of reasons:
1) The higher the temp the greater the NH4 toxicity and the less dissolved oxygen in the water.
2) The higher than ambient you ask your heater to provide the more juice and therefore ca$h it sucks. In a large tank it does start to add up.
3) Depending on your fish lowering their activity levels can help with controlling aggression (i.e. Cichlids).
As far as I can tell Heater 1 comes on at high 24's goes off at 25.5, Heater 2 doesnt come on till low 24's and goes off at 25 so the whole tank doesnt get much over 25 and the second heater doesnt come on much at all.

Today I had my PH drop again to 6.0, so will be looking for a cause in either the gravel or the driftwood, but also had Ammonia and Nitrite both reading 0, tomorrow will be 1 full week since the fish were introduced, that is way to quick to have a cycle, so its confusing me, and have never had any reading for Nitrite, although Nitrate went up to 10 today.

All I can do is try to remedy my PH issue, find the cause and either remove or remedy, and keep taking readings on everything else.

Eventually it will settle to a point where I am happy to add more fish, but its still weeks away in my opinion.

GaZ
Old 8th January 2009, 12:05 AM   #763
Gazob

Been a few days now, fought dropping PH for close to a week, and then started looking for the cause. The gravel turned out to be the culprit so have replaced with sand.

Still cant find a decent camera so these from my phone came out okay

Ph has remained at 7.0-7.2 for the 36 hrs since the rebuild and am happy with this as with the previous gravel was at 6.6 immediately after a fill and dropped to 6 within 4 days.

Will be adding some washed river pebbles to the scape, just waiting for the sand to settle fully and then tamp it down a bit and vacuum a few times.

GaZ
Old 8th January 2009, 12:16 AM   #764
Gazob

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgf View Post
Gazob: how much did you pay for all that stuff from eBay? I'd KILL for a tank setup like that. Was there any cost(s) in delivery? If so, how much etc etc?
Sorry missed this question at the time, $420, had to pick it all up (its quite heavy), the sellers helped into the back of the wagon and trailer, but the tank is a 4 person job. I felt it was a bargain at the time, and haven't seen anything quite so complete go for similar dollars since.

GaZ
Old 8th January 2009, 8:37 AM   #765
Stang1

Good stuff Gazob.

Maybe you should think about adding some geophagus with that nice sand you have there (when your tank is cycled)
Stang1 is offline   Reply With Quote