Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > Video Cards & Monitors

Notices

Old 12th August 2017, 1:16 PM   #2731
taldoren

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_deathy View Post
I wouldnt worry about mining cards. We have been using cards for folding for a lot longer and we do OC the core for ppd.

A long time ago I had 5x9800gt oced to hell running 24/7 and then sold them off. They all worked in clients machines and friends for years to come until they were to slow.

Cheapest brand I could buy at the time to. All my gpus fold and some still 24/7 for years.
I was also talking from what I had experienced as well, 12 x GPU's in mining rigs all out lasted the same card I was using as a gaming card (all Asus 280x's)

Mileage may vary of course, but it is what I had happen.
taldoren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2017, 1:35 PM   #2732
bennyg

If there were people around who could actually do board level repair (economically), GPUs could last even longer and the used ex-miner issue would be even less important.

Laptop gpus fail more often but they are usually the same silicon as desktop GPUs so the failure scenarios are useful - most fail because cooling effectiveness is lost, whether it's the TIM or thermal pads degrading, or blocked fans; basically overheating. Most laptop users don't go further than wiping the screen clean.

Laptops also rarely have things like motherboard or gpu vrm, memory temp sensors so its harder to tell when something gets problematic.

Tl;dr maintenance is key - just like old cars a filled service book usually means a less problematic buy than tens of thousands of km less.

Also its the cycling of temps up and down that causes the expansion/contraction that greatly accelerates microfractures and then failure in joints - this is completely absent in mining cards (and dont get me started on Intels crappy IHS TIM...)

Last edited by bennyg; 12th August 2017 at 1:44 PM.
bennyg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2017, 4:27 PM   #2733
SKITZ0_000

Here is a screencap of one of my 6 card mining rigs. They have their fan profile set to maintain 60C, in home made open air case with large fans blowing on them and all system components, their pcb is barely warm to the touch.

Click to view full size!

As you can see it is running considerably less voltage through the GPU core than a normal gaming card, let alone an overclocked card.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamsleath View Post
...i used one of those bitcoin profit calculators factoring in power draw...it was in the negatives by a long way....friggin ridiculous...but i guess if youre getting "free" electricity with solar panels or somesuch...
Bitcoin is mined exclusively on ASIC miners, GPU miners mine Ethereum or similar.

If you take the rig I've posted for example as in this calculator link below.

https://www.cryptocompare.com/mining...ostPerkWh=0.14

At 150MH/s, with 800W power draw at 18c AUD (14c usd) each of my rigs is making $13 ($10.30 USD) per day profit at the current rate. This is significantly lower than it once was, but it's still not bad at all (especially after having met ROI).

Yes I get really cheap electricity in Tasmania by exploiting on/offpeak tariff as well as generating electricity with solar.

Travel, lift, trip, learn, ride.
SKITZ0_000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2017, 4:35 PM   #2734
adamsleath

thats interesting to hear. glad its working for you.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right-wing_populism
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sipheren View Post
That's just my opinion and no-one has to share it nor do I need to be converted.
adamsleath is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2017, 4:35 PM   #2735
SKITZ0_000

Comparatively, a stock gaming card, reference or 'OC edition" played on the stock fan profile 3 - 6 hours per day, reaching likely >80C warm up, cool down.....

My point is I would have no issue in buying second hand mining cards for mining or gaming purposes.

The Asus Strix and Expedition cards have both had fans fail (Nothing a couple 80mm fans and some cable ties can't fix) and others are starting to rattle, meanwhile my ball bearing Sapphire Nitro's (which I've had for longer) are absolutely perfect, as the day I bought them.

This is instead what I would be taking into consideration.

Old 12th August 2017, 4:40 PM   #2736
adamsleath

mmm i remember manually adjusting fan profile on an older ati card years ago. seemed to make sense to keep it cool.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right-wing_populism
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sipheren View Post
That's just my opinion and no-one has to share it nor do I need to be converted.
adamsleath is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2017, 4:47 PM   #2737
Darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKITZ0_000 View Post
Comparatively, a stock gaming card, reference or 'OC edition" played on the stock fan profile 3 - 6 hours per day, reaching likely >80C warm up, cool down.....

My point is I would have no issue in buying second hand mining cards for mining or gaming purposes.

The Asus Strix and Expedition cards have both had fans fail (Nothing a couple 80mm fans and some cable ties can't fix) and others are starting to rattle, meanwhile my ball bearing Sapphire Nitro's (which I've had for longer) are absolutely perfect, as the day I bought them.

This is instead what I would be taking into consideration.
Of course your opinion is not biased at all
Darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2017, 5:03 PM   #2738
SKITZ0_000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darko View Post
Of course your opinion is not biased at all
My opinion is based off experience rather than speculation.

Old 12th August 2017, 5:36 PM   #2739
Darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKITZ0_000 View Post
My opinion is based off experience rather than speculation.
I prefer to call it an informed decision while your opinion is invalid as you have a vested interest to say otherwise.
I'm sure you don't get the salesman to do a mechanical check on a car you're looking to buy
Darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2017, 6:02 PM   #2740
SKITZ0_000

The only interest I have here is sharing information, my gpu's are not for sale. Do you know how hard these things are to acquire?

Damn miners keep buying them all out of stock.

Old 12th August 2017, 8:22 PM   #2741
walker_2003

what is an RX480 worth these days used (never been mined on) non reference twin fan model (cant remember brand off top of head)
Old 12th August 2017, 9:10 PM   #2742
mAJORD

Quote:
Originally Posted by congoh View Post
Edit: Where do you get this idea that mining cards are "over-cooled"?
Most cards being sold here in forums are done by people at home. I don't know how much effort they put in cooling these things other than relying on standard cooler that is shipped with the gfx card and may be extra fans (if they bother to) which isn't that much different to normal case with case fans cooling things.
by 'over cooled' I mean when you power limit/under volt and then Force Fan speeds to high levels you end up with core temps much lower than out of the box target temps and/or achievable temps with an overclock.

you do this (when mining) to further increase efficiency. unless of course your rig is in the bedroom.

PS if you read the link you provided, you'll see MTBF formula is A. based on the MTBF of individual components.. it's when you drill down into the MTBF of these components that you see it varies with operating temp and Voltage/current Parameters.

My argument is these temperatures and voltages are often lower for mining cards.. and when they are, you have to take that into account when assessing the effect mining has had on life expectancy vs a typical overclocked [in particular] gaming card.

I'd go so far as to say the out of the box fan profiles are more detrimental to card life.. Manufacturers will always prioritise making there cards quiet, and have no qualms about running everthing at blazing temperatures.. often 80, 90c, as long as it can last ~5 yrs or so in typical use.

Anyway, this is all way off topic. and maybe someone who wants to continue this debate can start a thread.
Ryzen OC / Owners Thread

Last edited by mAJORD; 12th August 2017 at 9:13 PM.
mAJORD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2017, 10:23 PM   #2743
partybear

I wouldn't buy them at the prices people are asking right now, but once they tank in value I would get one. It would need to be like half price of a new one to be good value.
partybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2017, 7:13 AM   #2744
Aussiejuggalo

Looks like most reviewers got samples, heaps of unboxing's but doesn't leave much time for reviews...

Seems like Gamers Nexus was left out this time with Joker & AdoredTV getting samples. Most reviewers got the plastic version of the 64, Paul got the limited edition, and AdoredTV got the liquid cooled version.

My baby: AMD 1800X / MSI B350M Mortar Arctic / G.Skill Trident Z 32GB 3200MHz C14 / MSI 1070 Armor OC / Samsung 960 Evo 250GB / Samsung 850 EVO 1TB / WD Blue 1TB / EVGA G2 850w / Caselabs SM5 / Dell U2414H x2 & Asus VG248QE

Last edited by Aussiejuggalo; 13th August 2017 at 7:34 AM.
Aussiejuggalo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2017, 1:11 PM   #2745
terroristone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiejuggalo View Post
Looks like most reviewers got samples, heaps of unboxing's but doesn't leave much time for reviews...

Seems like Gamers Nexus was left out this time with Joker & AdoredTV getting samples. Most reviewers got the plastic version of the 64, Paul got the limited edition, and AdoredTV got the liquid cooled version.
I'm glade Jim @ AdoredTV got a good sample, love watching his videos and the amount of detail he goes into is above and beyond anyone else, Gamers Nexus does have good content from time to time but its easy to loose interest as he often starts rambling on. Steve from Hardware Unboxed is also good, but his side kick Tim I cannot stand watching.

T1
Haswell 4790k@4.5 - MSI Z97 GAMING 5- GSKILL 2933 - MSI VEGA 64 WATER - SAMSUNG 950 PRO M.2 - ACER XR341CK - AX1500I - CUSTOM HARD TUBE WATERCOOLED GPU&CPU - 750D - NIGHTHAWK X9 - G502
System Pic
terroristone is offline   Reply With Quote