Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Manufacturer-specific Forums > Intel x86 CPUs and chipsets

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 19th May 2017, 2:25 PM   #706
Virtuoso X
Member
 
Virtuoso X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 305
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by headin2001 View Post
I use a sikflex, 922 I think it is. Black windscreen silicon really. Non corrosive to the PCB and sticks like the original. Some use dow corning, but I haven't really found any.
sweet
ill pop into bunnings and see what i can find
__________________
X V Rig: i7 2700k 5.1Ghz @ 1.48v 24/7 | Asus Maximus IV Extreme ROG! | Ripjaws X 16GB 2133mhz | H100 | WD Blacks 4TB Vertex 3 240GB SSD | Phanteks Enthro Luxe | 1.2kW StriderGold | RX580
Gear: G9X | G15 | G35 | SCARAB /X V
Virtuoso X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2017, 4:36 PM   #707
Ratzz
Member
 
Ratzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Cheltenham East 3192
Posts: 5,516
Default

I use ordinary clear bathroom silicon. I stick a small cable tie into the tube, and just wipe it thinly across all 4 sides of the IHS. I then clamp it lightly to the CPU for about 20 minutes or so, just until it gets some grab, stick it into the socket and clamp it down. Next time its removed, its solidly attached, but actually a bit easier to remove again if desired than the original glue.

I did nCrypt's chips with bathroom silicon, and mine and a number of others. I and them have experienced no problems as yet, unless they haven't informed me.

I wouldn't use epoxy. If you mess up the TIM application, you are pretty much fucked if you've used epoxy I'd imagine. I'd be worried that delidding would take half the PCB with it...
__________________
Don't mess with me. I can hurt you so fast you won't even feel it.

My Rig- Asrock AB350 Fatal1ty ITX,
R7 1700, 32GB LPX 2666, 512GB 960 Pro, Asus Phoenix GTX 1060 3GB

Last edited by Ratzz; 19th May 2017 at 4:40 PM.
Ratzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2017, 4:38 PM   #708
Virtuoso X
Member
 
Virtuoso X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 305
Default

does anyone have a delid / relid tool like the rockit88
(https://rockitcool.myshopify.com/pro...nt=21315860033)
and willing to let me use it on my 7700k? if your interstate ill pay postage to and from
(not only a delidder but also a relidder makes life easier)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratzz View Post
I use bathroom silicon.
I wouldn't use epoxy. If you mess up the TIM application, you are pretty much fucked if you've used epoxy.
ill pop into bunnings and get some silicon sealant with high thermal resistance instead
__________________
X V Rig: i7 2700k 5.1Ghz @ 1.48v 24/7 | Asus Maximus IV Extreme ROG! | Ripjaws X 16GB 2133mhz | H100 | WD Blacks 4TB Vertex 3 240GB SSD | Phanteks Enthro Luxe | 1.2kW StriderGold | RX580
Gear: G9X | G15 | G35 | SCARAB /X V
Virtuoso X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2017, 4:49 PM   #709
Ratzz
Member
 
Ratzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Cheltenham East 3192
Posts: 5,516
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virtuoso X View Post
does anyone have a delid / relid tool like the rockit88
(https://rockitcool.myshopify.com/pro...nt=21315860033)
and willing to let me use it on my 7700k? if your interstate ill pay postage to and from
(not only a delidder but also a relidder makes life easier)



ill pop into bunnings and get some silicon sealant with high thermal resistance instead
If a CPU core throttles at 100C, you would have to assume that not much in there is getting hotter than that? I don't think high thermal resistance is necessary really. Ordinary bathroom silicon works just fine.

Remember you are basically just holding it in position when its not in the socket. It's pretty solidly secured once clamped in.

Using non conductive TIM, I don't even bother gluing the IHS back down. I just feel more comfortable making it immobile before fitting with the conductive stuff. You don't want that shit getting smeared around under the IHS.

Don't forget to buy some LET (liquid electrical tape) which you can probably also buy at Bunnings. I bought mine at Jaycar. You want a dob of it on the little gold contacts near the die under the IHS, so conductive material doesn't short them out against each other.
__________________
Don't mess with me. I can hurt you so fast you won't even feel it.

My Rig- Asrock AB350 Fatal1ty ITX,
R7 1700, 32GB LPX 2666, 512GB 960 Pro, Asus Phoenix GTX 1060 3GB
Ratzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2017, 9:43 PM   #710
Virtuoso X
Member
 
Virtuoso X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 305
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratzz View Post
If a CPU core throttles at 100C, you would have to assume that not much in there is getting hotter than that? I don't think high thermal resistance is necessary really. Ordinary bathroom silicon works just fine.

Remember you are basically just holding it in position when its not in the socket. It's pretty solidly secured once clamped in.

Using non conductive TIM, I don't even bother gluing the IHS back down. I just feel more comfortable making it immobile before fitting with the conductive stuff. You don't want that shit getting smeared around under the IHS.

Don't forget to buy some LET (liquid electrical tape) which you can probably also buy at Bunnings. I bought mine at Jaycar. You want a dob of it on the little gold contacts near the die under the IHS, so conductive material doesn't short them out against each other.


i was thinking of not gluing the IHS back down and just letting the mobo hold it together (even though first mounting on mobo might move the IHS alittle)
but i think ill be alittle more comfortable with having some sort of adhesive (no matter how minute) to keep it together and let the pressure from the socket clamp it down.

theoretically, if i leave the IHS without gluing it back, i should get better thermal performance right? because there is less thickness to the IHS / PCB
__________________
X V Rig: i7 2700k 5.1Ghz @ 1.48v 24/7 | Asus Maximus IV Extreme ROG! | Ripjaws X 16GB 2133mhz | H100 | WD Blacks 4TB Vertex 3 240GB SSD | Phanteks Enthro Luxe | 1.2kW StriderGold | RX580
Gear: G9X | G15 | G35 | SCARAB /X V

Last edited by Virtuoso X; 19th May 2017 at 10:05 PM.
Virtuoso X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2017, 10:49 PM   #711
Virtuoso X
Member
 
Virtuoso X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 305
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nCrypt View Post
https://www.pccasegear.com/products/...al-compound-1g

and between the ihs and block i use

https://www.pccasegear.com/products/...l-grease-1-5ml

Great products. The TIM between the IHS and chip is way more important then the TIM between the IHS and Block.

The kryonaught is good, but active silver 5 which is half the price, produces temps within a couple degrees.

I just got a bundle when bought both!
why not use Conductonaut for the heatsink as well?
__________________
X V Rig: i7 2700k 5.1Ghz @ 1.48v 24/7 | Asus Maximus IV Extreme ROG! | Ripjaws X 16GB 2133mhz | H100 | WD Blacks 4TB Vertex 3 240GB SSD | Phanteks Enthro Luxe | 1.2kW StriderGold | RX580
Gear: G9X | G15 | G35 | SCARAB /X V

Last edited by Virtuoso X; 19th May 2017 at 11:02 PM.
Virtuoso X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2017, 11:49 PM   #712
nCrypt
Member
 
nCrypt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 1,430
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virtuoso X View Post
why not use Conductonaut for the heatsink as well?
Because its liquid metal.

It eats aluminum and most blocks/heatsinks are aluminum (full abd part tbereof)

It will eat and destroy fhe block.
__________________
1.7900X@4.8Ghz 1.28V WC X299 ROG APEX 32GB TridentZ 4400C19 GTX1080 Ti SLI WC CaseLabs S8
2.
7700K@5Ghz 1.30V WC Z270 ROG APEX 16GB TridentZ 3200C14 GTX1080 STRIX OC WC Caselabs S8
3.5960X@4.5Ghz 1.24V X99 Carbon 16GB TridentZ 3200C14 GTX1080 Phanteks Luxe
nCrypt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2017, 12:05 AM   #713
Ratzz
Member
 
Ratzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Cheltenham East 3192
Posts: 5,516
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virtuoso X View Post
i was thinking of not gluing the IHS back down and just letting the mobo hold it together (even though first mounting on mobo might move the IHS alittle)
but i think ill be alittle more comfortable with having some sort of adhesive (no matter how minute) to keep it together and let the pressure from the socket clamp it down.

theoretically, if i leave the IHS without gluing it back, i should get better thermal performance right? because there is less thickness to the IHS / PCB
You are talking about maybe .1mm instead of .2mm clearance, all of which is bridged by liquid metal. There is very little clearance between IHS and die. You only need a smear of silicon, not a thickness. No, there would be no thermal advantage in not gluing it back down.

Here's an experiment for you. After delidding, but before applying the new TIM or gluing it down, try and fit the CPU and loose IHS in the socket without allowing the IHS to move as you clamp it down.. It can be done, but you'll need to brace one end very securely with your thumb (placing uneven pressure on the socket in the process), and even then its likely that the sliding motion of the clamp will move the IHS with it, leaving the chip behind.

Its only a matter of a few mm, but it can really mess up your newly applied TIM, and with liquid metal in there you really don't want it disturbed once you drop that IHS in place.

I've never bothered gluing them down until I started with the liquid metal, and its been fine. I just don't think I'd take any chances with electrically conductive liquid being in the wrong place.

Of course this means the chip can now be removed and moved etc without disturbing the awesome new TIM too, which is handy if you switch shit around a lot like most of us.
__________________
Don't mess with me. I can hurt you so fast you won't even feel it.

My Rig- Asrock AB350 Fatal1ty ITX,
R7 1700, 32GB LPX 2666, 512GB 960 Pro, Asus Phoenix GTX 1060 3GB
Ratzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2017, 7:12 AM   #714
glnn_23
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 329
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virtuoso X View Post
theoretically, if i leave the IHS without gluing it back, i should get better thermal performance right? because there is less thickness to the IHS / PCB
When the IHS just sits on the die, with no tim between them, it can spin freely as it does not touch the pcb. The silicone sealant really just takes up that gap. This is ensured by having pressure on it as it dries.
glnn_23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2017, 3:07 PM   #715
Virtuoso X
Member
 
Virtuoso X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 305
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by glnn_23 View Post
When the IHS just sits on the die, with no tim between them, it can spin freely as it does not touch the pcb. The silicone sealant really just takes up that gap. This is ensured by having pressure on it as it dries.
thanks for the clarification guys
whats a good method of clamping down the IHS to the PCB after applying silicon? i dont have a delid tool etc
__________________
X V Rig: i7 2700k 5.1Ghz @ 1.48v 24/7 | Asus Maximus IV Extreme ROG! | Ripjaws X 16GB 2133mhz | H100 | WD Blacks 4TB Vertex 3 240GB SSD | Phanteks Enthro Luxe | 1.2kW StriderGold | RX580
Gear: G9X | G15 | G35 | SCARAB /X V
Virtuoso X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2017, 3:42 PM   #716
Ratzz
Member
 
Ratzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Cheltenham East 3192
Posts: 5,516
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virtuoso X View Post
thanks for the clarification guys
whats a good method of clamping down the IHS to the PCB after applying silicon? i dont have a delid tool etc

I also don't have a relid tool. I use a 3D printed delid tool (MortarArt sells them for <$20) to delid.

For relidding, I have a modified $3 Officeworks clipboard. I've shortened it simply because it didn't need to be so long, and cut a hole in it for the circuits at the bottom of the chip to sit in so it sits flat.


Click to view full size!


The clamp is only a medium pressure, doesn't need to be particular strong. I actually chose it because the large clamp and medium pressure make it a lot easier than a more powerful clipboard clamp. I simply lift the clamp, slide the CPU+IHS under it until it drops into the hole, and gently let it close. 20 minutes is sufficient time for bathroom silicon to get sufficient grab to install on a board.


Click to view full size!
__________________
Don't mess with me. I can hurt you so fast you won't even feel it.

My Rig- Asrock AB350 Fatal1ty ITX,
R7 1700, 32GB LPX 2666, 512GB 960 Pro, Asus Phoenix GTX 1060 3GB
Ratzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2017, 4:05 PM   #717
Virtuoso X
Member
 
Virtuoso X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 305
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratzz View Post
I also don't have a relid tool. I use a 3D printed delid tool (MortarArt sells them for <$20) to delid.

For relidding, I have a modified $3 Officeworks clipboard. I've shortened it simply because it didn't need to be so long, and cut a hole in it for the circuits at the bottom of the chip to sit in so it sits flat.

pix

The clamp is only a medium pressure, doesn't need to be particular strong. I actually chose it because the large clamp and medium pressure make it a lot easier than a more powerful clipboard clamp. I simply lift the clamp, slide the CPU+IHS under it until it drops into the hole, and gently let it close. 20 minutes is sufficient time for bathroom silicon to get sufficient grab to install on a board.

pix
haha genius! thank you!
__________________
X V Rig: i7 2700k 5.1Ghz @ 1.48v 24/7 | Asus Maximus IV Extreme ROG! | Ripjaws X 16GB 2133mhz | H100 | WD Blacks 4TB Vertex 3 240GB SSD | Phanteks Enthro Luxe | 1.2kW StriderGold | RX580
Gear: G9X | G15 | G35 | SCARAB /X V
Virtuoso X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2017, 7:35 PM   #718
Ratzz
Member
 
Ratzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Cheltenham East 3192
Posts: 5,516
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shags View Post
Anyone in Melbourne able to delid mine for a fee? The temps are shooting from 30c ambient to 95 under load whilst @ 5100.
Where are you? I can help you out, I'm in 3192.
__________________
Don't mess with me. I can hurt you so fast you won't even feel it.

My Rig- Asrock AB350 Fatal1ty ITX,
R7 1700, 32GB LPX 2666, 512GB 960 Pro, Asus Phoenix GTX 1060 3GB
Ratzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2017, 8:32 PM   #719
Shags
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 1,654
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratzz View Post
Where are you? I can help you out, I'm in 3192.
3806 - great thanks I'll PM
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetron View Post
Also his SMS speak was terrible and hard guy to understand that you need the internet to translate!
Shags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2017, 8:45 PM   #720
nCrypt
Member
 
nCrypt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 1,430
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shags View Post
3806 - great thanks I'll PM
def take ratz up on his offer, he did my 2nd 7700K and my 7350K for me!

There is a video of me doing it it somewhere in this thread.!
__________________
1.7900X@4.8Ghz 1.28V WC X299 ROG APEX 32GB TridentZ 4400C19 GTX1080 Ti SLI WC CaseLabs S8
2.
7700K@5Ghz 1.30V WC Z270 ROG APEX 16GB TridentZ 3200C14 GTX1080 STRIX OC WC Caselabs S8
3.5960X@4.5Ghz 1.24V X99 Carbon 16GB TridentZ 3200C14 GTX1080 Phanteks Luxe
nCrypt is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time now is 5:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
OCAU is not responsible for the content of individual messages posted by others.
Other content copyright Overclockers Australia.
OCAU is hosted by Micron21!