Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > Video Cards & Monitors

Notices

Old 20th May 2017, 2:05 PM   #1
datfreak Thread Starter

Default Maybe another dead 290 ? Fixable or cheap replacement?

My old 290 died awhile back and I sold it to Seanay00 for his wall of cards.

I bought a replacement 290 , this time a 2nd hand Asus duii - put a water block on it and its been working well for a some time.
Now it doesn't load windows with it onboard. - I can get into the bios screen but it has a white bar down the screen. see:

Click to view full size!

The leds on the card light up as normal- under water the gpu temp never got over 45, the vrms have the duii heatsink still attached. No overclocking

If I use the onboard graphics, I can get into windows but device driver can not see the card. Also a old NVidia card works in the same pci-e slot.

Any ideas of other stuff I can try to revive it?

Asus have a 3 year warranty but my previous experience of Asus RMA was very underwhelming.

I probably going to be on 1080 res for sometime yet so I'm guessing the best bang for buck would a 570/580 or a 1060? I prefer to watercool, altho the extra cost of the block may be a waste for these mid range cards.

After the last 2 290s playing up I'm think of going Nvidia - or are the failure rates about the same between the brands?
thanks for your thoughts guys
Old 20th May 2017, 4:31 PM   #2
WJR
(Banned or Deleted)

Yep seems like it's kicked the bucket, you could try baking it in the oven to reflow the solder joints or if it's under warranty and removing the stock heatsink hasn't voided the warranty you could RMA it.

I doubt Asus has 290's sitting around still so you might get lucky and get an RX480 or similar back.
WJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2017, 10:15 AM   #3
datfreak Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJR View Post
Yep seems like it's kicked the bucket, you could try baking it in the oven to reflow the solder joints or if it's under warranty and removing the stock heatsink hasn't voided the warranty you could RMA it.

I doubt Asus has 290's sitting around still so you might get lucky and get an RX480 or similar back.

thanks for the ideas - I looked up 'baking videocard' and that is a option. Sounds crazy but worth a go. I'll try with the RMA option first, but if Asus don't play nice I can try it.

I doubt ASUS will help - I have already sent this card to them for heat throttling - it took 3 weeks to be returned and all they did was flash it with another bios, after which it still throttled (hence the watercooling). I started a new ticket complaining about this and they never contacted me.

I've bought second hand cards off the forums and tbh I should not be complaining about 2 GPU failures over 3 years.
Thinking of waiting (what another month?) for vega cards and going for one of them OR buying a 580/1060 cheap as they clear them out.
Old 7th June 2017, 2:11 PM   #4
datfreak Thread Starter

So... as above I wasn't previously happy with Asus RMA, but that has changed.

I just received a new(still has the plastic on the back of the back plate) 290 DUII in the post. The old card was over 2 years old and they didn't fight me at all on the warranty. Took about 1.5 weeks for the rma process.

I'm very happy with Asus GPUs now.
Can't wait to get home and try Hawaii info to see if it will unlock.
Old 7th June 2017, 8:16 PM   #5
Paulie_AU

Good outcome!!! Onya ASUS.

Mr_McPoo
Paulie_AU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2017, 3:31 PM   #6
Roscosity

Personally I would go for a new card, most companies in Australia have a pretty rough RMA service (Including us unfortunately, though we are looking to improve)

For cards like the 570 or 580, you probably could watercool it, but I don't see it as being necessary, particularly because the cards should still be performing fairly well at 1080p, and thermals shouldn't be too much of an issue

I could suggest an aftermarket cooler such as the RX580 XTR, which would keep the card relatively cool as well as silent
Old 8th June 2017, 6:08 PM   #7
lawrencep93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscosity View Post
Personally I would go for a new card, most companies in Australia have a pretty rough RMA service (Including us unfortunately, though we are looking to improve)

For cards like the 570 or 580, you probably could watercool it, but I don't see it as being necessary, particularly because the cards should still be performing fairly well at 1080p, and thermals shouldn't be too much of an issue

I could suggest an aftermarket cooler such as the RX580 XTR, which would keep the card relatively cool as well as silent
RMA would be best bet.

RX580 and RX570 have no stock due to miners.

Will need to go for an Nvdia 1070 or search around for a second hand 390 I think even the 490 is sold out from miners
i7 4930k @ 4.6GHz, NZXT Kraken X60 watercooler with Push pull fans (4 x 140mm), 32GB Gskill Ripjaws Z 2133MHz, Asus X79-Deluxe, Gigabyte GeForce GTX 780Ti 3GB OC Edition, Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD, Corsair RM-1000w PSU, Nanoxia Deep Silence 6, LG Blueray Burner, 16 x 2TB Green drives, 6 x 4TB RED NAS Drives (4 x 4TB RAID 5(Highpoint SuperRAID Card)). WINDOWS 7 Pro. Gigabyte Laptop P25XV2-880-4702S
lawrencep93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2017, 6:48 PM   #8
hairy

good to hear asus came to the party.
as a rule I only watercool new release cards so I get to keep them for a while and make the return worth it.
now I'm getting older I find myself less worried about watercooling and more inclined to go for a non ref card if I can for noise but my 1080ti's aren't too bad when I run v-sync.
for 1080p I would look at 580 or a 1060.
antec skeleton, msi gaming m5, 6700k, 32 gig 3200 ram, gtx 1080ti sli, hb bridge, cm 280 aio, 500gig 950pro, 750gb crucial ssd, 43inch phillips and 24 inch aoc monitors. server dual xeon quads, 48gig ram, 5x3tb and 2x1tb, hx850, lianli case, freenas.
hairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2017, 11:58 AM   #9
datfreak Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie_AU View Post
Good outcome!!! Onya ASUS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hairy View Post
good to hear asus came to the party.
as a rule I only watercool new release cards so I get to keep them for a while and make the return worth it.
now I'm getting older I find myself less worried about watercooling and more inclined to go for a non ref card if I can for noise but my 1080ti's aren't too bad when I run v-sync.
for 1080p I would look at 580 or a 1060.
Yes im very impressed with ASUS and will be buying another GPU from them soon - a 3 year warranty that actually gets results

thanks for the card advice Hairy.

Even though a replacement 290 is getting long in the tooth, im glad I got a replacement one as I'd just redone the WC loop and was able to screw on the water block and was ready to go again.
Wasn't able to unlock the 290 to a 290x (I love the gamble - same back in the day with the 6950 unlock cards) but this new card clocks really well - straight to 1100 core from the standard 950 keeping wattman voltages on auto.
Temps at 1100core are about 51c and is perfectly stable under Kombustor.
I'll try for more core soon but it feels very smooth. On Witcher3 with Ultra settings it held the fps at the 60fps limiter.

I think this card will keep me happy until I go better than a 1080 monitor.
Old 9th June 2017, 12:29 PM   #10
hairy

Quote:
Originally Posted by datfreak View Post
Yes im very impressed with ASUS and will be buying another GPU from them soon - a 3 year warranty that actually gets results

thanks for the card advice Hairy.

Even though a replacement 290 is getting long in the tooth, im glad I got a replacement one as I'd just redone the WC loop and was able to screw on the water block and was ready to go again.
Wasn't able to unlock the 290 to a 290x (I love the gamble - same back in the day with the 6950 unlock cards) but this new card clocks really well - straight to 1100 core from the standard 950 keeping wattman voltages on auto.
Temps at 1100core are about 51c and is perfectly stable under Kombustor.
I'll try for more core soon but it feels very smooth. On Witcher3 with Ultra settings it held the fps at the 60fps limiter.

I think this card will keep me happy until I go better than a 1080 monitor.

this is the same reason I only buy msi cards now.
back in the day purchased 2 original titans second hand for 600 each with no box or receipt, 6 months later one died so I drove over to auburn msi repair centre expecting to be turned away.
they said they would call me.
2 days later I had a brand new titan delivered to my door by a courier no questions asked.
antec skeleton, msi gaming m5, 6700k, 32 gig 3200 ram, gtx 1080ti sli, hb bridge, cm 280 aio, 500gig 950pro, 750gb crucial ssd, 43inch phillips and 24 inch aoc monitors. server dual xeon quads, 48gig ram, 5x3tb and 2x1tb, hx850, lianli case, freenas.
hairy is offline   Reply With Quote