Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > Modding

Notices

Old 20th May 2017, 1:07 PM   #1
shazbot83 Thread Starter

Default What colour cable sleeving?

Hey guys, wondering if I could get some opinions on what sleeving colour to go for in my (re)build.

PC is in an Enthoo Evolv ATX (black interior), has a Maximus Hero Alpha (black mostly mobo) and a FE GTX1080, with the green sanded off so the logo illuminates white. I'm changing over to Corsair RGB LED fans and a lighting node pro with RGB LED strips so I can put on fancy light shows to distract me while I'm trying to game.

Initially the colour scheme was red, so I have red sleeved cables and red Corsair Vengeance LED RAM (this is going to be changed out too).

Do I go with white, grey or black for my replacement cables, as I want something that won't clash with the new multicoloured lighting in my rig.

Any suggestions/pics of your builds/etc?

Cheers.
shazbot83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2017, 1:28 PM   #2
cesario

Are you looking at going single colour or multi?

Play around with the cable maker to get some ideas

https://choosemypc.net/sleeving/

I have the same case but in anthracite using a gigabte mobo/gpu which is primarily red/black but im making my own cables and using paracord sleeving to go with my hard piped water cooling with red coolant (so red/grey/black theme build)

This is how mine will look
http://choosemypc.net/sleeving/?p=591fb6b394229
If I ever changed the fluid colour in the loop I would just change the red sleeving to whatever matches
Old 20th May 2017, 1:32 PM   #3
shazbot83 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cesario View Post
Are you looking at going single colour or multi?

Play around with the cable maker to get some ideas

https://choosemypc.net/sleeving/

I have the same case but in anthracite using a gigabte mobo/gpu which is primarily red/black but im making my own cables and using paracord sleeving to go with my hard piped water cooling with red coolant (so red/grey/black theme build)

This is how mine will look
http://choosemypc.net/sleeving/?p=591fb6b394229
If I ever changed the fluid colour in the loop I would just change the red sleeving to whatever matches
The whole plan is to have RGB madness, so I want something that won't clash with the epilepsy inducing rainbow in my pc lol...
Old 20th May 2017, 2:22 PM   #4
broccoli

If you want to hide it, then go black. Black makes something recede. White will be noticeable and you'll see it, but it won't clash with any other colours. You've also got the white light on your graphics card. I think the white-on-black might work and it would look more interesting when you weren't using your lights. I wouldn't choose grey. Find something black and then something white and hold them up where the cables will be and see what you prefer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankari View Post
I expected this to be bad, but they really put the effort in and took it to a whole new level of atrocious.
broccoli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2017, 4:50 PM   #5
shazbot83 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by broccoli View Post
If you want to hide it, then go black. Black makes something recede. White will be noticeable and you'll see it, but it won't clash with any other colours. You've also got the white light on your graphics card. I think the white-on-black might work and it would look more interesting when you weren't using your lights. I wouldn't choose grey. Find something black and then something white and hold them up where the cables will be and see what you prefer.
Probably going to go white which was the original plan as it will give some contrast inside the old girl.
Old 22nd May 2017, 2:37 PM   #6
AllezAllez

I went for themed cables with my build.

If I did it again, I'd go black though. Unless you're a cable wrangling genius it's hard to get beautiful looking sleeving action.

Also - I would do them all myself if I did things again. Small things like bending the cables will mean they really should be different lengths to lay flat or to fit in your cable combs really neatly.
AllezAllez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2017, 2:39 PM   #7
shazbot83 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllezAllez View Post
I went for themed cables with my build.

If I did it again, I'd go black though. Unless you're a cable wrangling genius it's hard to get beautiful looking sleeving action.

Also - I would do them all myself if I did things again. Small things like bending the cables will mean they really should be different lengths to lay flat or to fit in your cable combs really neatly.
I ended up ordering a white Cablemod kit (same as the current one I have, just white rather than red).

PC looks like this at the moment:

Also I honestly believe I'm too inept to sleeve my own cables, seeing as half the time I can't even depin PSU connectors lol...
Old 22nd May 2017, 3:30 PM   #8
broccoli

Quote:
Originally Posted by shazbot83 View Post
I like it. The white reflects the lights, gives a good amount of contrast/interest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankari View Post
I expected this to be bad, but they really put the effort in and took it to a whole new level of atrocious.
broccoli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2017, 3:39 PM   #9
shazbot83 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by broccoli View Post
I like it. The white reflects the lights, gives a good amount of contrast/interest.
I need to do some drilling to mount the H115i up front, just terrified that I'll stuff it up. Will post a mini log/gallery once it's all done.
Old 3rd June 2017, 5:09 PM   #10
MR CHILLED
D'oh!

Quote:
I ended up ordering a white Cablemod kit (same as the current one I have, just white rather than red).

Also I honestly believe I'm too inept to sleeve my own cables, seeing as half the time I can't even depin PSU connectors lol...
Looking good, I think you've done well. Although all that red might drive you mad after a while
Old 3rd June 2017, 8:41 PM   #11
shazbot83 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR CHILLED View Post
Looking good, I think you've done well. Although all that red might drive you mad after a while
It's all rgb now, including the memory... not sure it was worth the financial investment but still :P
Old 3rd June 2017, 9:53 PM   #12
MR CHILLED
D'oh!

Quote:
It's all rgb now, including the memory... not sure it was worth the financial investment but still :P
You only live once, and it's only money