Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > Storage & Backup

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 18th May 2017, 11:21 AM   #1
callan Thread Starter

Default Ain't misbehavin' - No it is. WD RED issue

I bought 2 4TB WD Reds last year as a matched pair for my testbed NAS. (an old Synology DS212+. (RAID1)

The first drive failed 4 months in - mounting sector reallocations. I wiped what I could before it carked it and got it replaced under an RMA. Replacement works fine. I get it: drives fail, got it replaced - all cool. That's why we have RAID.

It's stablemate is now giving me grief - but this is where it gets weird.
Synology DSM was reporting S.M.A.R.T. errors, and then it failed to boot after a minor DSM update. I ended up pulling the second drive and the server booted just fine.
I threw it in a Win7PC and interrogated the S.M.A.R.T. info on the drive. Perfectly clean.
Then I Zeroed out the drive, returned it to the server and rebuilt the mirror.
The mirror came up, but:

Interrogating the S.M.A.R.T. info from within DSM came up clean

Pull it out, whack it in the PC, Zero it out, then interrogate it with passmark's Disckcheckup.

Code:
SMART ATTRIBUTES:
 ID	Description                         	Status    	Value     	Worst     	Threshold 	Raw Value 	TEC                 
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  1	Raw Read Error Rate                 	OK        	200       	200       	51        	0         	N/A                 
  3	Spin Up Time                        	OK        	233       	232       	21        	3333      	N/A                 
  4	Start/Stop Count                    	OK        	100       	100       	0         	703       	N/A                 
  5	Reallocated Sector Count            	OK        	200       	200       	140       	0         	N/A                 
  7	Seek Error Rate                     	OK        	100       	253       	0         	0         	N/A                 
  9	Power On Time                       	OK        	85        	85        	0         	11470     	N/A                 
 10	Spin Retry Count                    	OK        	100       	100       	0         	0         	N/A                 
 11	Calibration Retry Count             	OK        	100       	100       	0         	0         	N/A                 
 12	Power Cycle Count                   	OK        	100       	100       	0         	424       	N/A                 
192	Power off Retract Count             	OK        	200       	200       	0         	26        	N/A                 
193	Load Cycle Count                    	OK        	200       	200       	0         	676       	N/A                 
194	Temperature                         	OK        	114       	102       	0         	36 C      	N/A                 
196	Reallocation Event Count            	OK        	200       	200       	0         	0         	N/A                 
197	Current Pending Sector Count        	OK        	200       	200       	0         	0         	N/A                 
198	Uncorrectable Sector Count          	OK        	200       	200       	0         	0         	N/A                 
199	UltraDMA CRC Error Count            	OK        	200       	200       	0         	0         	N/A                 
200	Write Error Count                   	OK        	200       	200       	0         	0         	N/A 

Status is reported as OK

WTF is going on here? Would I have an RMA rejected? It's clearly suspect, and theres no point in returning it to the server..

Callan

Last edited by callan; 18th May 2017 at 11:24 AM.
callan is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 18th May 2017, 12:26 PM   #2
terrastrife

WD Data Life Guard will test the drive, then if it detects any failure it will auto generate the RMA form for you (afaik).
Why people continue to use third party SMART diagnostic is beyond me as it's been a long time since the manufacturers have been using propriety data values.
terrastrife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2017, 12:57 PM   #3
callan Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrastrife View Post
WD Data Life Guard will test the drive, then if it detects any failure it will auto generate the RMA form for you (afaik).
Why people continue to use third party SMART diagnostic is beyond me as it's been a long time since the manufacturers have been using propriety data values.
WD Data lifeguard says the drive doesn't exist. (No compatible drives found) I tried that first.

Callan
Old 20th May 2017, 12:47 PM   #4
callan Thread Starter

And it gets even weirder. I dropped a SATA3 card in and data lifeguard now finds it happily. And reports that the SMART analysis is "OK".
Run a full SMART test - takes 9.5 hours. FAIL (undefined media errors). Click on OK and it reports "Good" again.

BUT..
When I go to review the test log for the drive based on it's serial number WD Data Lifeguard brings up the fucking logs of the FIRST drive that failed and I tested last year, not the one I just tested (with a completely different serial number

I'm fucking over it. It shouldn't be this hard. this damn drive is haunted.

Callan
Old 20th May 2017, 2:37 PM   #5
peter10001

Try with a livecd from linux.
Xubuntu livecd,
Boot from cd/usb,
then install program "disks", then you can read smart,
and also do a long test of the hard disk.

The test you did, it fail, is not good, there is something wrong, try to do more testing.
If you wipe the disk in the nas, what happens then?
peter10001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2017, 2:43 PM   #6
callan Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter10001 View Post
Try with a livecd from linux.
Xubuntu livecd,
Boot from cd/usb,
then install program "disks", then you can read smart,
and also do a long test of the hard disk.

The test you did, it fail, is not good, there is something wrong, try to do more testing.
If you wipe the disk in the nas, what happens then?
At this stage it's safe to assume it's fubared - I sure-as-hell can't trust it.

I just want to get enough together to have a successful RMA. That the WD utility is giving me bullshit is getting very annoying.

Callan
Old 20th May 2017, 3:00 PM   #7
peter10001

Try to get a rapport of the WD utility.
That the WD utility fails is not good.

You could try another pc,
different connectors, power and data.
peter10001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2017, 5:11 PM   #8
pfrcom

Quote:
Originally Posted by callan View Post
WD Data lifeguard says the drive doesn't exist
Try changing motherboard BIOS to IDE mode (assuming it's currently AHCI)
pfrcom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2017, 10:55 PM   #9
callan Thread Starter

Stuff it. SMART stuff still reports fine, but I've just printed this out and RMA'd it. I'm happy to argue the toss.

Callan
Old 24th May 2017, 8:48 PM   #10
rainwulf

Its because you sign your own stupid posts Callan. Your username is RIGHT THERE.

Im not in a good mood.