OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Software Topics > PC Games

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 7th January 2016, 11:08 AM   #46
Yerolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by power View Post
Price point, software - everything needs to be spot on.
I don't think anyone but the most diehard of VR supporters expected this at launch. It was always going to have a slow uptake due to the nature of the tech but this will slow it down even more.
Yerolo is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 7th January 2016, 11:10 AM   #47
power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yerolo View Post
I don't think anyone but the most diehard of VR supporters expected this at launch. It was always going to have a slow uptake due to the nature of the tech but this will slow it down even more.
It does however give the competitors somewhere to aim.

I'm still thinking that Sony will be the kings - PS4 is just such a massive market. If Sony get price point right they could gobble up the entire VR market even if their product is inferior.
Old 7th January 2016, 11:25 AM   #48
Yerolo

Quote:

I'm still thinking that Sony will be the kings - PS4 is just such a massive market. If Sony get price point right they could gobble up the entire VR market even if their product is inferior.
Something tells me the prices of the Vive and PSVR won't be too dissimilar, it is expensive tech. Possibly the PSVR may be cheaper due to the inferior hardware....I'm expecting somewhere between $450-500USD which may be enough for them to win the 'VR War'

Although, each company may not want to undercut their competitors too much seeing as though they are all in this VR boat together. Most of the VR games developed for each platform will come from the same development houses.
Old 7th January 2016, 11:30 AM   #49
power

Quote:
Something tells me the prices of the Vive and PSVR won't be too dissimilar, it is expensive tech. Possibly the PSVR may be cheaper due to the inferior hardware....I'm expecting somewhere between $450-500USD which may be enough for them to win the 'VR War'

Although, each company may not want to undercut their competitors too much seeing as though they are all in this VR boat together. Most of the VR games developed for each platform will come from the same development houses.
Sony KNOW how to do a mic drop - I guarantee they do one with VR.

They did it to SEGA with the PS2 and Microsoft with the PS4.

They did it through price point and E3 ownage.
Old 7th January 2016, 11:37 AM   #50
Yerolo

Quote:
Sony KNOW how to do a mic drop - I guarantee they do one with VR.

They did it to SEGA with the PS2 and Microsoft with the PS4.

They did it through price point and E3 ownage.
It's worth taking note though, Sony/PSVR will not be directly competing with the OR and Hive. Unless Microsoft & Nintendo were in the game as well, they have that console VR corner all to themselves.

Do you actually think the people who are pissed off with the high price point of the OR are going to go out and buy a PS4 if the PSVR is cheaper ? I think the landscape will become clearer once the Vive's price is announced.
Old 7th January 2016, 11:39 AM   #51
WRC

I sat up intending to pre-order, but not at that price.
WRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2016, 12:27 PM   #52
PsychoSmiley

If the PSVR is cheap enough it could become a unofficial staple though. At a low enough price point some creative types will get it, work it out and write their own software to support it under Windows.
Old 7th January 2016, 12:53 PM   #53
Sipheren

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoSmiley View Post
If the PSVR is cheap enough it could become a unofficial staple though. At a low enough price point some creative types will get it, work it out and write their own software to support it under Windows.
Sony said the PSVR will be approx the cost of a console, so $400-500 US. Which isn't bad but the PSVR will be fairly crap imo, 1080P screens and some weird fake frame rate running of Console hardware isn't the VR I want (I built my own VR headset with a close to 1080P screen ).

It's a shame the Oculus is the price it is, I assume the Vive will be about the same. DK2 for now and good VR next year maybe
Sipheren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2016, 1:02 PM   #54
Sphinx2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bastard Child View Post
Phwor, that includes your unnecessary Xbone controller

Yeah I think I will be waiting for the HTC Vive pricing.
Also, the new Vive integrated camera just makes sense for keyboard/drink/talking to people/fading in room objects/walls/etc to your VR - that I have been waiting for. Also it's controllers look more VR capable.

Last edited by Sphinx2000; 7th January 2016 at 1:04 PM.
Sphinx2000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2016, 1:04 PM   #55
gregpolk

Too much to tempt me in on a gen1 product. Will wait and see how HTC Vive ends up, how Steam/AMD/NVidia's support of VR ends up, and what happens with xbone/PS4 VR.
gregpolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2016, 1:04 PM   #56
power

Quote:
It's worth taking note though, Sony/PSVR will not be directly competing with the OR and Hive. Unless Microsoft & Nintendo were in the game as well, they have that console VR corner all to themselves.

Do you actually think the people who are pissed off with the high price point of the OR are going to go out and buy a PS4 if the PSVR is cheaper ? I think the landscape will become clearer once the Vive's price is announced.
PS4 and PC are the kings of the gaming market currently and a lot of games are hitting those two platforms either excusively or just first.

MS and ninty are lagging behind quite a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphinx2000 View Post

Also, the new Vive integrated camera just makes sense for keyboard/drink/talking to people/fading in room objects/walls/etc to your VR - that I have been waiting for. Also it's controllers look more VR capable.
Vive external camera is a genius move.
Old 7th January 2016, 1:57 PM   #57
MotoMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphinx2000 View Post

This alone sells it for me.. (the camera that is)

Realistically due to the insane shipping cost the Oculus is basically $749US

So if the Vive can come in at $699USD with controllers and Free or realistic shipping they have my money
MotoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2016, 2:11 PM   #58
Kurosaki

Not unexpected pricing for the Rift but I won't be hopping on. Go burned in the 90's with VR once (still got the box in the garage to prove it), won't be so stupid once again.

Having played with both VR headsets I definitely think the Vive is superior but I can definitely see it costing even more than the Rift. I even worry if the Vive will ever see the light of day. HTC is a company rapidly going down the drain, huge losses year on year and their shares have now even been de-listed from the main Taiwan stock exchange.
Kurosaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2016, 2:19 PM   #59
r8response

Old 7th January 2016, 3:07 PM   #60
Embercide

Quote:

First up, I preordered with the understanding that it's the strong $US that is killing our price, by the time it ships in March anything could happen to the $AUD. If it tanks even further I can always cancel and if it strengthens then lucky me

Furthermore I feel like Palmer is being genuine when he says he's simply covering costs with little to no profit.

As for the PS4 VR offerings, look at the PS4 specs compared to what the Rift needs. Either the PS4 VR is going to be inferior, or extra hardware grunt will need to be shipped with their headset (adding cost), or they'll compromise quality for lower price