http://www.pcgamer.com/oculus-rift-i...n=buffer_pcgfb

According that the $649 is AU dollar??
Sledge is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 7th January 2016, 3:15 PM   #62
Sipheren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Embercide View Post
First up, I preordered with the understanding that it's the strong $US that is killing our price, by the time it ships in March anything could happen to the $AUD. If it tanks even further I can always cancel and if it strengthens then lucky me

Furthermore I feel like Palmer is being genuine when he says he's simply covering costs with little to no profit.
I agree with this, the tech and build is worth the money, it's just to much for me to spend and his messaging was poor with giving people the idea of a $350 cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Embercide View Post
As for the PS4 VR offerings, look at the PS4 specs compared to what the Rift needs. Either the PS4 VR is going to be inferior, or extra hardware grunt will need to be shipped with their headset (adding cost), or they'll compromise quality for lower price
The PSVR will be shite compared to the Oculus and Vive. The box that comes with the PSVR does all the weird frame rate stuff to get it to 90fps, some special rendering technique or what not, but it does not add any further gfx power to the system.

So this means all the PSVR games will be less impressive compared to the others, having said that, the PS4 only needs to push 1080P @ 60fps to the box that then makes it 90fps (a fair amount less than the Vive's 2160x1200).
Sipheren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2016, 3:18 PM   #63
Pinkeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
http://www.pcgamer.com/oculus-rift-i...n=buffer_pcgfb

According that the $649 is AU dollar??
Pretty sure they're incorrectly reporting the price.

USD$650 for basic package plus shipping at USD$130 = USD$780 (or about AUD$1100), then add 10% GST for being over the AUD$1000 threshold for GST, thus one unit at around AUD$1210.
ASUS P8P67 EVO | I5 2500K @ 3.3GHZ | KINGSTON HYPER FURY 2x8GB DDR3 RAM | GIGABYTE GTX 1080 G1 GAMING 8GB | SAMSUNG 850 EVO 512GB + WD CAVIAR BLACK 4X6 TB | NZXT PHANTOM FULL TOWER | 3X DELL U2311H @ 5760X1080 RESOLUTION

Last edited by Pinkeh; 7th January 2016 at 4:01 PM.
Pinkeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2016, 3:48 PM   #64
7nothing

After seeing what people said about the DKs, I basically decided I wouldn't spend money on a Dev on just to play with it, but when they were available retail I'd be all like

So this morning when I see it's $650 + postage, and it's in USD, I'm kinda annoyed, but they're still getting my money.
Old 7th January 2016, 4:03 PM   #65
styrenic

500AUd was my cut off point for a pre order, at this price (can't believe they're charging that much for delivery) I'll wait and see.

Eve Valkyrie is launching on both Rift and PSVR so it'll be an ideal comparison between the two. Probably less particle effects, draw distance and poorer textures on PSVR but will the actual experience be that different between the two? I'm playing mad max on PS4 and I can't imagine higher res or better textures making much of a difference. I expect I'll be able to go into the Sony store or EB games and try a PSVR. Were am I going to try out a Rift?
Old 7th January 2016, 4:04 PM   #66
Pinkeh

Shipping from USA is always expensive. That shouldn't be a surprise.
ASUS P8P67 EVO | I5 2500K @ 3.3GHZ | KINGSTON HYPER FURY 2x8GB DDR3 RAM | GIGABYTE GTX 1080 G1 GAMING 8GB | SAMSUNG 850 EVO 512GB + WD CAVIAR BLACK 4X6 TB | NZXT PHANTOM FULL TOWER | 3X DELL U2311H @ 5760X1080 RESOLUTION
Old 7th January 2016, 4:06 PM   #67
OPM881

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkeh View Post
not $150USD its not. Ive seen people ship car tyres for less. Hell I got a new clutch kit from the UK and only paid about $150AUD for shipping and that box was a hell of a lot bigger and a hell of a lot heavier.
OPM881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2016, 4:07 PM   #68
TrennaHowar

Quote:
Originally Posted by styrenic View Post
500AUd was my cut off point for a pre order, at this price (can't believe they're charging that much for delivery) I'll wait and see.

Eve Valkyrie is launching on both Rift and PSVR so it'll be an ideal comparison between the two. Probably less particle effects, draw distance and poorer textures on PSVR but will the actual experience be that different between the two? I'm playing mad max on PS4 and I can't imagine higher res or better textures making much of a difference. I expect I'll be able to go into the Sony store or EB games and try a PSVR. Were am I going to try out a Rift?
I know in the early days everyone was chatting about how having screens of 1080p res that close to your face really made a difference. I can't really comment because I havent' tried any VR but that seems to make sense.

I think the worst thing that could happen long term for VR is that Sony releases a VR headset that is cheap but crappy. Who knows how long it will take VR to get off the ground if that happens.

Also about HTC getting delisted from the stock exchange, that's not a good sign.

For me and probably other the expense is as much in the graphics card as it is the actual VR headset. I don't mind spending 1k on something that is amazing (assuming it is) but then having to spend another $600+ on top of it for a new graphics card is a bit tough. But hey that's new technology for you

Very excited about what this could be like. Can anyone comment on there experiences of VR? Did it live up to the hype for you? Even if using it you could see the potential?
Old 7th January 2016, 4:08 PM   #69
Pinkeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by OPM881 View Post
not $150USD its not. Ive seen people ship car tyres for less. Hell I got a new clutch kit from the UK and only paid about $150AUD for shipping and that box was a hell of a lot bigger and a hell of a lot heavier.

Regardless you can check for shipping quotes from FedEx, DHL etc if you think dropshipping is going to be cheaper. You don't need Occulus to ship it to you directly if their shipping fees are disagreeable.

Last edited by Pinkeh; 7th January 2016 at 4:13 PM.
Old 7th January 2016, 4:10 PM   #70
Sphinx2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by styrenic View Post
Yeah double that for AU is farked.
The competition looks good too, so rushing in would be hazardous.
Sphinx2000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2016, 4:24 PM   #71
styrenic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkeh View Post
I bought skis from the states and shipping is capped at 29 USD. So they can get it lower if they tried.

Cheap snow stuff here.
https://www.levelninesports.com/leve...-shipping-info
Old 7th January 2016, 5:16 PM   #72
osmodiar

I don't mind paying a premium for improved hardware but the additional costs are an insult, shipping and delivery costs should be improved for a mass consumer release compared to a small scale development run, not doubled.

Even if the Vive presumably costs more for the extra features (& controllers!), HTC have pre-existing manufacturing, distribution channels and experience, I'll lay my hopes that they can come up with a more reasonable international order and delivery arrangement than this Oculus shambles.

Take $1100+ and add in the eventual Touch controllers + another round of shipping and tax and we could hit $1500 easy. Not exactly a difficult figure for HTC to beat, waiting to see the Vive offering is a no brainer for me at this point.
osmodiar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2016, 5:32 PM   #73
7nothing

I keep forgetting about the facebook buyout. Now that I'm reminded, I'm far more pissed off.

Mark Jerkberg doesn't need $1100 from me, he's got plenty already damnit.
Old 7th January 2016, 5:58 PM   #74
Kommandant33

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7nothing View Post
I keep forgetting about the facebook buyout. Now that I'm reminded, I'm far more pissed off.

Mark Jerkberg doesn't need $1100 from me, he's got plenty already damnit.
uhhhh how much have you paid for facebook?
Kommandant33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2016, 6:55 PM   #75
Frag

I'll skip being an Early adopter on this, think lack of content and possibly needing the GPU grunt will keep me away until I see how drivers support pans out. But definitely will get it down the line.. for now FacetracknoIR with a IR deanclip and magiceye camera is going to do me fine =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommandant33 View Post
uhhhh how much have you paid for facebook?
I know how much I've paid facebook :P Getting pretty big!