Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Game Consoles > Nintendo Consoles

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 19th May 2017, 11:11 PM   #16
Ospi

And miss out on two of my favourite gaming experiences of recent times??
Win Motorsport
Ospi is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 20th May 2017, 12:24 AM   #17
itsmydamnation

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatdoesthisdo View Post
I don't know, why did you? Did we waste your box buying time?

Personally I cant wait for the season pass DLC.. Splatoon 2 Bubble wrap.
I gave the benefit of the doubt, now you have open your month and removed all doubt...........

I don't own a switch or plan to buy one in the near future, but there sure seems to be a whole lot tears from people...........
OCAU Guitar Players Club #22
xp2500 @2310 210x11 stock hsf |asus a7n8x deluxe | 1024mb ddr400 | X800 445/515
Get a grip adolf, you lost the war, and you can't kill any more jews.
Rhythm in jump. dancing close to you D3 account1 D3 account 2
itsmydamnation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2017, 12:43 AM   #18
qwertylesh

you think that empty boxes for sale are bad? in some instances its a life saver.

I've spent $40~ on an empty nintendo box before, and i'd do it again because its rare as shit now days.
:O
qwertylesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2017, 1:51 AM   #19
Boneman

Splatoon is pretty popular in Japan, this will sell out for sure. Nintendo thinking outside the box on this one.
Boneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2017, 3:21 AM   #20
qwertylesh

And its known that the japanese treat their used gaming stuff with care. If anything Nintendo should consider this for western markets and dominate the repro scene for their old school products

Ill take 15x nes and 15x snes and 15x n64 boxes w foam inserts thank you very much
:O
qwertylesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2017, 11:29 AM   #21
Pinkeh

My cat LOVES boxes.
ASUS P8P67 EVO | I5 2500K @ 3.3GHZ | KINGSTON HYPER FURY 2x8GB DDR3 RAM | GIGABYTE GTX 1080 G1 GAMING 8GB | SAMSUNG 850 EVO 512GB + WD CAVIAR BLACK 4X6 TB | NZXT PHANTOM FULL TOWER | 3X DELL U2311H @ 5760X1080 RESOLUTION
Pinkeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2017, 12:07 PM   #22
elvis
Old school old fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippyhippy View Post
Why are people so butt hurt by a company? Don't like the product? Don't buy it?
I'm in this camp. I must have said it a thousand times on this forum. Your only voice is your money. The only way you can share your opinion with companies is by whether or not you pay money for their stuff.

With that said, I fundamentally disagree with this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatdoesthisdo View Post
Nah I am with power and Jim sterling on this one.

movie
No, you have no "moral" right to Pirate Nintendo's games. Jim can get as upset as he likes, any company is allowed to protect their IP as aggressively as they like. That is the law. If people don't like it, fight to change the law. Even if Nintendo are complete arseholes, you have no "moral right" here.

And this isn't me talking as some rabid fanboy. Yeah, I like a whole bunch of Nintendo games, but it also pisses me off that Nintendo are so stupid about their own games. I've been a massive Metroid fan the majority of my gaming life, and it nearly brings me to tears to see Nintendo all but ignore the franchise while they sink money into utterly stupid side projects. Then on top of that when an awesome fan-made Metroid project is released to fill a huge void (AM2R), Nintendo come down on it like a tonne of bricks. A huge slap in the face for their fan base.

Still, that doesn't change a damned thing. Nobody has any "moral rights" here. This is entertainment, and this is commerce. Pay for what you like, don't pay for stupid shit. Only in this way to companies realise what is worth their time to fund, and what isn't.

And if you're really pissed off with what Nintendo do put their money into, then consider that they are doing ridiculously well as one of the only remaining "pure games" company of that era. Anyone else as old as them has ended up either bought out by gambling or smartphone groups, or broke. Indeed, in the console space all of Nintendo's major competitors are multi-market folk (Microsoft and Sony have dozens of other business areas outside of gaming). For Nintendo to do so well in a single market means people are buying their stuff. If you are angered by that, it's much more of a reflection on the people doing the buying than it is what Nintendo are making, as all they're doing is responding to the market.

And coming back to my point above - all you can do is choose to financially contribute or not to that market. We as gamers are our own worst enemy. We pre-order expensive shit that's rubbish, and we more frequently buy the good stuff only when it's on Steam's summer sale for single digit dollars. Then we spend all our time pissing and moaning that the market caters to folks who actually pay good money for stuff, while we're too busy cheaping out on our hobby.
Old 20th May 2017, 12:56 PM   #23
gregpolk

If people do buy it, then there is clearly a market for it because people are willing to pay them money for it. If no one buys it, then what difference has this made to you or your life?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
As a Splatoon fan who already owns the Switch, I'd actually consider dropping a few bucks on the box to go with the rest of my Splatoon merch.

I don't see the big deal here...
There you go. The product has at least a market of 1 person.

Amazing how emotional some of you are about a $5 box. Precious snowflakes. Just don't buy it.... I sure won't.

Problem solved /thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertylesh View Post
And its known that the japanese treat their used gaming stuff with care. If anything Nintendo should consider this for western markets and dominate the repro scene for their old school products

Ill take 15x nes and 15x snes and 15x n64 boxes w foam inserts thank you very much
I would actually consider paying a few bucks for mint condition old console boxes. Similar for some of their game boxes as all my old N64 games either have missing boxes, or totally wrecked ones. Would be nice to decorate a bookshelf in a game room with my old consoles and games.

Last edited by gregpolk; 20th May 2017 at 1:02 PM.
gregpolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2017, 1:08 PM   #24
elvis
Old school old fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertylesh View Post
And its known that the japanese treat their used gaming stuff with care.
I consider this normal. Anything I bought in my youth is still in near-mint condition now. I'm stunned at the condition that most second hand stuff ends up in. It's like people use boxing gloves and hammers to take their games out of their cases and put them in their consoles.

Just adds to my overall opinion of gamers/humans, and how we're our own worst enemy.
Old 20th May 2017, 1:15 PM   #25
Nightwish

I don't see the issue with this. I personally wouldn't buy it as I don't have a Nintendo Switch but I can definately see people wanting to buy this for collection purposes

The only time I'd be annoyed is if they released the empty box of this only and didn't make it so you can actually purchase the console bundle
Nightwish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2017, 1:23 PM   #26
mtma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightwish View Post
The only time I'd be annoyed is if they released the empty box of this only and didn't make it so you can actually purchase the console bundle
"Oh, we were going to make this game, but this and that happened so we only have the box to release"
mtma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2017, 9:48 PM   #27
Drizz06

What's the deal with the box thou?
I understand people wanting a old box for 2nd hand collectibles ect, but why would you want a box for a brand new product?? Why not just take care of the one that came with the product.
Drizz06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2017, 10:16 PM   #28
Boneman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizz06 View Post
I understand people wanting a old box for 2nd hand collectibles ect, but why would you want a box for a brand new product?? Why not just take care of the one that came with the product.
This box is for the Splatoon 2 Switch bundle which hasnt been released yet.
Boneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2017, 10:30 PM   #29
Zardoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizz06 View Post
Some Switch users may have bought their console prior to the bundle being available. The box, plus the game (which they'll buy anyway), plus the coloured joy-cons will give them the 'bundle' experience without having to sell their existing stuff to buy the bundle.
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2017, 8:18 AM   #30
power Thread Starter

Many of you are missing the point, people WANT to give Nintendo money for the great products they produce - Nintendo on the other hand just do really mental stuff that stop you from becoming a Nintendo customer - they actually make it harder than it needs to be to give them money. The people who are currently benefitting the most from Nintendo's batshit crazy business practices are scalpers.

Instead of knee jerking to Jim's videos some of you would benefit from actually watching them. I'd not seen them before they were posted here and they actually echo a lot of my feelings toward them as a company and the absolutely ludicrous way of doing business they have.

Oh and if it isn't obvious yet the box was a clickbait way of jumping off to a nintendo bash much the same way people have fallen hook line and sinker into Jim's clickbait it's ok to pirate Nintendo's shit video without actually watching it and launching into a massive wah wah over the title. It would be really fucking nice if Nintendo knew that there are potential customers out there that they chase away because they make it harder than it needs to be to give them money.

A box though, ugh.