Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Musicians

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 20th May 2017, 12:28 AM   #4606
Bold Eagle

Looking for a jamming partner near 4113. Start with a once a week/month session.

Keen to get back into some basic 12 bar blues sessions and build complexity:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqDla37gml0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLs4fuVapr0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqWl2Zxs2es

That is we take turns finger picking/plectrum the rhythm the other takes the lead for 12 bars and swap back and forth, etc, etc............

Must be 'relaxed' about it and keen to just have some fun.

P.s. I haven't played for about 10 years but the stuff above was my 'basis' and I have played for 20-30years.

I have a Maton (fat boy acoustic sound) and a classical (needs head work).

Post in thread or PM me if keen - ole school blues sessions.

Late Edit: Seriously just want to find someone to do some 'Lazy Blues'.........nothing.....no bites.......

Last edited by Bold Eagle; 21st May 2017 at 1:43 AM.
Bold Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 21st May 2017, 2:01 AM   #4607
Bold Eagle

Mark Knopfler on Guitars:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OG__SwkV3wg

Some solid stuff there especially with the thumb and the technicality.

Frankly this is one of the best lessons I have seen.

Quote:
With borrowing friend's acoustics.......

Last edited by Bold Eagle; 21st May 2017 at 2:09 AM.
Bold Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2017, 11:57 AM   #4608
broccoli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bold Eagle View Post
Mark Knopfler on Guitars:
It's reassuring to hear him saying he just practised his one chord over and over. I tend to think that the good players just popped out able to play and there's something wrong with me and I "can't", but if it was practice that did it for them, I should keep practising too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyWolfe01 View Post
don't connect via usb, since that is the devil.
broccoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2017, 1:32 PM   #4609
ndt

So I just picked up a Randall RD50 head. On paper, I liked it cause its small and quite versatile in that it can take almost any power tube and without needing to be rebiased. But, I'm not really digging the tone at the moment, its kinda flubby, unfocused and grainy. Currently it has EL34s in it, i'm looking to try tighten it up a bit. What power tubes would you suggest? 6l6s?

Its compatible with 6CA7, 6L6, 5881, 6550, KT88, KT77, and 6V6 tubes

Homer Simpson: Stupid horny jellyfish neutering our dudes.

Last edited by ndt; 23rd May 2017 at 2:29 PM.
ndt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2017, 6:30 PM   #4610
atmo

How loud are you playing?

If the power tubes are working hard then changing from EL34's to 6L6's might be worth a shot, but if you're playing at home at lowish volumes it's unlikely you'd notice much difference.

More info here: http://mesaboogie.com/amplitudes/201...r-section.html

If you don't already have one, consider an EQ and/or a boost pedal, preferably with adjustable bass & treble controls.

I'd use something like a Spark, Timmy or similar to cut some of the low end before it hits the preamp. That should give it a bit more mid focus and remove the flubbyness.

An EQ before the amp can also work, but I prefer to run an additional EQ in the effects loop (if the amp has one) for fine tuning.
atmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2017, 7:33 PM   #4611
Boneman

Tubescreamer set as a clean boost will solve 90% of your flubbiness problems.
Boneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2017, 2:51 PM   #4612
ndt

yeah, dug up my old maxon 808 last night and that tightened things up a bit. Was hoping to get away with not using one.

Old 24th May 2017, 4:57 PM   #4613
GarethB

I just saw a vid for a new modelling amp from Chinese company Joyo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ltmCo_lHsU

The vid was recorded at a music trade expo in China with a lot of background noise.

The amp was designed in Germany, it's being built in China. Not a lot of technical info in the vid, but apparently the audio circuits are all analog with some sort of internal modular design that lets you choose between specific circuit types in the preamp and power amp stages with an app (in the vid one of the presenters is using a smart phone so built in Bluetooth maybe) to get a particular sound.

The vid also mentioned real valves in the amp and you can swap the power amp valves for different types (EL34, EL84, 6L6, 5881, etc). The way it was described in the vid, there is only one set of valves in the amp but you can replace them with other valves.

Expected street price is US$1500, but it wasn't clear if that was for just the head or with a speaker cab.

Yamaha have something similar, the THR100, but the THR100 uses digital emulation with separately selectable preamp and power amp models. The 2 channel version, the THR100HD sells for around Au$900 at the moment.
GarethB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2017, 12:28 PM   #4614
ndt

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarethB View Post

Expected street price is US$1500, but it wasn't clear if that was for just the head or with a speaker cab.
$1500us seems abit steep so would hope that includes the cab. You can get a Hughes and Kettner Grandmeister for cheaper.

Last edited by ndt; 25th May 2017 at 12:45 PM.
Old 28th May 2017, 3:31 PM   #4615
atmo

Looks like that's the price for the head alone, currently listed at 1,545 here: https://www.thomann.de/gb/joyo_klonz.htm

It's a novel idea, but I can't imagine who their target market might be.
atmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2017, 7:30 PM   #4616
Fireblade

Except for consumables, I haven't bought any new guitar stuff for ages. I recently sold my Blackstar HT-Dual pedal as I wasn't using it and picked up a Friedman BE-OD. It's designed by Dave Friedman to be as close to his Brown Eye 100 head as he could get in a pedal. The Brown Eye is a fucking monster and BE-OD is equally great. Very impressive OD/distortion pedal. Here's Pete Thorn's demo

"I wish I could travel to the store, buy a Ronnie James Dio, and install it in my throat" - Paul Gilbert
Fireblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2017, 4:43 PM   #4617
Willybomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireblade View Post
Except for consumables, I haven't bought any new guitar stuff for ages. I recently sold my Blackstar HT-Dual pedal as I wasn't using it and picked up a Friedman BE-OD. It's designed by Dave Friedman to be as close to his Brown Eye 100 head as he could get in a pedal. The Brown Eye is a fucking monster and BE-OD is equally great. Very impressive OD/distortion pedal. Here's Pete Thorn's demo

hd movie
That pedal is on my "To Build" list.

30+ successful trades and counting
Offical OCAU Musicians Guild Member #15 OCAU Guitar Players club
Willybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2017, 4:58 PM   #4618
Bold Eagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireblade View Post

hd movie
Damn awesome guitarist but that 'lazy eye'........
Old 18th June 2017, 11:28 AM   #4619
Fireblade

Best gear demo channel on the net, Pete has played with a bunch of great musos over his time. He was Chris cornells touring guitarist when he out of sound garden.

"I wish I could travel to the store, buy a Ronnie James Dio, and install it in my throat" - Paul Gilbert
Fireblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2017, 11:32 AM   #4620
Radley

Sounds great. I've really got to sell my Zoom G5 and move to individual pedals but I'm only a bedroom warrior and I'm not hugely fussed.

I've decided that I need a Les Paul as I've been dying to get one for at least 15 years, so I've set myself a goal of buying a 2017 Gibson Les Paul Standard, or if I can find a good second hand one with 60's neck I'd be keen on that too.
And yes I don't care about the other brands that make LP style guitars, or other so called better guitars at a similar price.
6800K | ASUS X99 ROG Strix | 32Gb G.Skill Trident Z 3200MHz | GTX1080 ROG Strix | Samsung 512Gb M.2 NVMe | Razer Leviathan | ASUS Xonar Essence STX | Seasonic X-750 PSU | Enthoo Primo | Custom water loop | 2 x Dell U2713H
[ Intel Owners Club Member [#93]
$3830 in sales on OCAU.
Radley is offline   Reply With Quote