Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Musicians

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 17th June 2010, 12:19 PM   #46
spootmonkey

I've sent close to $10,000 into Ebay (and later gotten a fair chunk of that back out of it) and never had a problem.

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 17th June 2010, 12:23 PM   #47
nickeax
(Banned or Deleted)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spootmonkey View Post
This looks like a handy resource: http://badmuckingfastard.com/sound/slipperman.html
Oooooh, thanks. I've already read halfway.
nickeax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2010, 12:43 PM   #48
break

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crustopher View Post
Care to share these bargains that you're talking of?
Cheapest ESP/LTD EC-401 in the US: $754 AUD
Edit: $969 AUD inc postage

Cheapest ESP/LTD EC-401 in Australia: $1149 AUD

These sorts of savings apply to just about every guitar I search between the two countries.

Even this Viper running factory EMG 81/85 combo is only $672 AUD overseas, as opposed to $999 the cheapest similar guitar in Aus.
Edit: $859 AUD inc postage

Last edited by break; 17th June 2010 at 1:01 PM.
break is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2010, 12:43 PM   #49
hippyhippy

i've been learning guitar for almost 8 weeks now through the local community college which has been great, i usually spend around 10 minutes a day just messing around with the guitar, just practicing changing chords, strumming patterns etc, even though im still really crap at it, how much practicing should i be doing to be progressing enough to be able to play a decent tune by end of years time? I still cant even really play a song yet too cause i still cant even remember all the chord figer positions let alone switching fast enough.

and also, the beginners yamaha guitar my friends bought me around 4 years ago (yeah its taken me this long to get started ) i've found that the board at the bottom of the guitar where the strings go down the white plastic pins seems to be demented and is angling up making the strings higher off the fret than it should be apparently making it harder to play. i only noticed after a friend noticed it. is it worth buying something newer and better?

Last edited by hippyhippy; 17th June 2010 at 12:46 PM.
hippyhippy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2010, 12:48 PM   #50
Edstructicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippyhippy View Post
i've been learning guitar for almost 8 weeks now through the local community college which has been great, i usually spend around 10 minutes a day just messing around with the guitar, just practicing changing chords, strumming patterns etc, even though im still really crap at it, how much practicing should i be doing to be progressing enough to be able to play a decent tune by end of years time? I still cant even really play a song yet too cause i still cant even remember all the chord figer positions let alone switching fast enough.
been playing for 2 years now, i try and get in 1 or 2 hrs on weeknights and closer to 4hrs a day on weekends. You really need to do at least an hour to allow yourself time to warm up and get into the groove, as well as having some time to improve and try new riffs.

It sucks when you start off, but if you put in the hours you will improve.
Old 17th June 2010, 1:01 PM   #51
Ravennoir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agg View Post
Now I know we take the piss out of guitar hero etc, but I dunno, check this out from E3:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/16/r...-virtual-guit/

That looks to me like it could actually be a genuinely useful thing for learning the guitar, or at least, learning songs by rote. Play in the game, then use the controller (or even your other more "real" guitar and play the same thing you learned in the game.. ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Rift- View Post
Its an interesting idea, but the key thing that made GH successful is that anyone could pick up a 5 button controller and play away. Playing more complicated songs and solos isn't going to be any easier (IMHO) just because the tabs are scrolling through your TV - if anything its going to be harder. Is their target audience really going to sit down and practice songs and solos slowly building up speed? You either want to play a game or you want to learn guitar it just seems to me like its some sort of weird middle ground that won't satisfy for too long.

Also I'm not too sure about this "sensing where your hand is" method.

this is something im very interested in, from what I have read you can play "Pro Mode" on easy also so it wouldnt be as hard, no idea how that will actually work

im just waiting for the day when I can plug my actual guitar into a "AMP" which connects to the Console
PSN ID : Ravennoir - BattleTag : Ravennoir#1705
Ravennoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2010, 2:02 PM   #52
sandwichamwin Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edstructicon View Post
been playing for 2 years now, i try and get in 1 or 2 hrs on weeknights and closer to 4hrs a day on weekends. You really need to do at least an hour to allow yourself time to warm up and get into the groove, as well as having some time to improve and try new riffs.

It sucks when you start off, but if you put in the hours you will improve.
So you play at least 13 hours per week? Shit man, wish I had that kind of practice discipline!

I'm lucky to play long enough for my amp to warm up, let alone turn it off standby .
sandwichamwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2010, 2:18 PM   #53
Edstructicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandwichamwin View Post
So you play at least 13 hours per week? Shit man, wish I had that kind of practice discipline!

I'm lucky to play long enough for my amp to warm up, let alone turn it off standby .
yeah, took me a while to work out, but i have guitar rig in my bedroom with a guitar on a stand and I can be playing in under 5 seconds.

Out in the other room I have my amp and pedals plus another 2 guitar stands for when I want to go nuts. Solid State amps are also great as theres a warm up time of about 20sec.

But yeah 13 hours would be a good week, and 7-8 hours is an off week. I dunno the only time I have trouble keeping up the hours is when I don't feel like I'm making progress, and then a 3 day to a week break gets me back into it.

I dunno I sit down to practice/play and all of a sudden its 2 or 3 hours later.
Old 17th June 2010, 2:27 PM   #54
hippyhippy

thats alot of time for playing .... i need to clear up more time!!
Old 17th June 2010, 2:37 PM   #55
DJ Fusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edstructicon View Post
i have guitar rig in my bedroom with a guitar on a stand and I can be playing in under 5 seconds.
That can't include the time it takes to boot your PC and load the VST?
DJ Fusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2010, 2:46 PM   #56
spootmonkey

This is a computer forum. It's already on.
Old 18th June 2010, 1:36 PM   #57
Edstructicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by spootmonkey View Post
This is a computer forum. It's already on.
Exactly, I have a PC in every room (apart from the amp room, but im working on that) and they stay switched on (...enviromentally wha..?).

Found this article that has helped me a fair bit with my practicing/speed.
Old 18th June 2010, 6:17 PM   #58
hippyhippy

can someone tell who sells washburn guitars near the sydney cbd... i've been researching guitars cause my basic beginners guitar seems to have a few small issues so im looking at getting another one... i like the looks of a washburn d10 or d10sce ... within my price range of around 500 or so.

i've been to alans and billy hydes.. but they dont do washburns..

i found a website
http://www.cranbournemusic.com.au/cs...ml?id=6YZT8TaN

the guitar is 369+delivery.. called up some store in sydney and they cant even go near that price... ???confused.

Last edited by hippyhippy; 19th June 2010 at 11:38 AM.
Old 19th June 2010, 3:24 PM   #59
-Rift-

How much will you get slogged for ordering a guitar from overseas for more than $1k?

-Rift- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2010, 3:27 PM   #60
spootmonkey

10% GST on the total cost of the instrument and shipping, despite shipping not being included in the $1000 limit, plus customs duties which I think can run to a hundred or two.