Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Manufacturer-specific Forums > Apple Desktop Hardware/Software

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2nd March 2017, 2:25 PM   #1
riblau Thread Starter
Member
 
riblau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 207
Default Thinking to upgrade my late 2011 Macbook Pro

So I'm looking at a new, 13 inch macbook as I want something smaller due to doing more travelling around with work.

Size aside, my current macbook is a late 2011 15 inch and I'm wondering if the new one will actually be better performance wise as I really went all out on specs when I got my current one. The reason I'm asking is I checked a few benchmarks on mac benchmarks https://browser.primatelabs.com/mac-benchmarks and my current laptop beats the new one in 'multi core' but not in 'single core'.

I've got an SSD in the 15 inch and the specs are:
2.2ghz Quad Core i7 - 2675QM
8gb Ram 1333mhz
6750 gfx card (512mb)
http://www.everymac.com/systems/appl...olt-specs.html

The latest 13 inch model that I would buy is:
SSD
2.9ghz Dual Core i5
8gb Ram 2133mhz
Iris 550 Gfx
http://www.apple.com/au/macbook-pro/specs/

So my questions are:

1. Would day to day computer activities be faster on the mac
2. Would it be faster in bootcamp
3. Would it game as well, better or worse (Mac or bootcamp - I mainly use Steam or Blizzard games and am reasonably happy on my current laptop)

Thanks
__________________
Hold still while I gas you!
riblau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2017, 12:03 PM   #2
riblau Thread Starter
Member
 
riblau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 207
Default

bump... Anyone?
__________________
Hold still while I gas you!
riblau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2017, 12:07 AM   #3
Kelvin
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 2,319
Default

at a wild guess.. single threaded will be slightly faster on the new machine.. multiple threaded stuff will with slower on the new machine.

Disk access will be much faster..
Video will be around the same..


None of this is based on any evidence. but just a hunch..

Basically you are gaining portability and battery life and a nicely screen..
Kelvin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2017, 10:01 AM   #4
tuz
Member
 
tuz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Sydney
Posts: 9
Default

there has not been any real significant power output changes in the MBP line up since the initial retina release.
I recently sold my 2.7ghz i7 Mid 2012 Retina and built a Gaming PC which has about 5x the power as previously and spent only $300 over the selling price of the MBP.
tuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2017, 1:47 PM   #5
alexc
Member
 
alexc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 1,493
Default

Very hard to work out isnt it :-)

I'm in a similar boat - 13" 2011 i7.

You could try putting 16GB of RAM in the current 15? A very cheap upgrade and made a big difference to the performance and feel of mine.

Especially as even with an SSD the disk I/O of SATA in the older MBP's is much slower than the new ones with a soldered SSD's.
alexc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2017, 6:06 PM   #6
epo299
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 79
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexc View Post
Very hard to work out isnt it :-)

I'm in a similar boat - 13" 2011 i7.

You could try putting 16GB of RAM in the current 15? A very cheap upgrade and made a big difference to the performance and feel of mine.

Especially as even with an SSD the disk I/O of SATA in the older MBP's is much slower than the new ones with a soldered SSD's.

Im still using a MBP 2012 model.. Put an SSD and 16Gb of RAM it still does the job. Running MacOS and a Windows 10 Virtual machine. The only reason i could think of upgrading its the fans get noisey in summer and its sometimes hot to touch. For general use i cannot see much of a performance boost on a new Mac. My partner has a 2015 MBP. Its smaller and thinner. Touchpad and keyboard feel better but speedwise i dont notice any difference.
epo299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2017, 6:23 PM   #7
ipv6ready
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: North Sydney
Posts: 878
Default

Just make sure you get the ram and ssd size correct.
From what I hear, the 2017 version have it soldered than glued on as measure to dissuade self upgrading.
__________________
MSI WS63-7RK, 4k workstation laptop
i7-7700hq, Quadro P3000, UP3214Q and UP2414Q

For sale in WTS thread. MSI Z77a-GD80, Cosmos II, 2 x LSi 9261 (one with BBU), 8 x 1TB WB Black HDD
ipv6ready is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2017, 9:23 PM   #8
Hater
Member
 
Hater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Scotland
Posts: 1,325
Default

Can the Sandy Bridge ones take 16GB RAM? My Ivy bridge one does. OS X flies. Mines a quad 3632QM though, unsure how much quicker that is compared to the 2675QM.

I'd stick with the 2011 for another reason - If it's not a Retina, you can ditch the optical drive and run a second, large HDD.

I have no idea what i'll ever upgrade to, the new systems just aren't.... Pro enough for me.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis View Post
Quote me in 2026, and if I'm wrong, I'll buy you a nice steak dinner.
Hater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2017, 8:29 PM   #9
DarkMeLo
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 36
Default

Isn't gaming or any 'professional' on a 13 inch a no go? I mean they're stuck with dual core. I've never heard of or even seen a dual core i7 until the 13" macbook "pro". Not sure how Dell puts a proper quadcore and a gtx 1050ti in a 'not too far off' footprint. Not to mention macbook pros have been going up in price every year.

But I'm still the biggest apple slave even with the most cynical attitude towards them .
DarkMeLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2017, 6:10 PM   #10
Dingostolemyghz
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 705
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkMeLo View Post
I've never heard of or even seen a dual core i7 until the 13" macbook "pro".
My clunky old work laptop - HP Ultrabook has a dual core Ivybridge i7, they're not exactly a new beast.
Dingostolemyghz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2017, 8:56 PM   #11
Zee
Member
 
Zee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: SYD/MNL/SIN/SFO
Posts: 8,980
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkMeLo View Post
Isn't gaming or any 'professional' on a 13 inch a no go? I mean they're stuck with dual core. I've never heard of or even seen a dual core i7 until the 13" macbook "pro". Not sure how Dell puts a proper quadcore and a gtx 1050ti in a 'not too far off' footprint. Not to mention macbook pros have been going up in price every year.

But I'm still the biggest apple slave even with the most cynical attitude towards them .
the 13" "Pro' should have been the new "Air", and no one would have batted an eyelid...

Z...
__________________
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines...
Zee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2017, 9:41 PM   #12
DarkMeLo
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 36
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zee View Post
the 13" "Pro' should have been the new "Air", and no one would have batted an eyelid...

Z...
Yeah, and things are worse with the 'macbook' which costs the same as a baseline pro. I seriously can't tell if the 'macbook' is overpriced or the 'pro' is rubbish. I think most likely both....

I miss the days where baseline 13 inch pros were sub $1400~$1500. Apple was so good back then. You got so much for the money; the hardware, the support, and the quality for the time.

Now the iPhone 7+ 256gb costs $1500+. Obviously currency plays a big part here, but seriously, $2000 for a dual core with 128gb and 8gb ram? Somebody PLEASE tell me I'm not the only here that thinks this is simply wrong .


Oh and TWO ports.
DarkMeLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2017, 1:02 PM   #13
Zee
Member
 
Zee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: SYD/MNL/SIN/SFO
Posts: 8,980
Default

I don't get the point of the Macbook. It is significantly more expensive than an Air, and is lower specced in just about every way (except the screen). It's no wonder the Macbook Air is still on sale a year after it was supposed to be retired. Should be a hint....


Actually, I'm wondering if it's Apple's way of shifting people to iPads. Remove enough functionality, add enough $$$ to the price, and make the iPad Pro look to be the ideal replacement. And if people really want those stupid outdated clunky notebook things, well, they just have to pay!
Z...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkMeLo View Post
Yeah, and things are worse with the 'macbook' which costs the same as a baseline pro. I seriously can't tell if the 'macbook' is overpriced or the 'pro' is rubbish. I think most likely both....

I miss the days where baseline 13 inch pros were sub $1400~$1500. Apple was so good back then. You got so much for the money; the hardware, the support, and the quality for the time.

Now the iPhone 7+ 256gb costs $1500+. Obviously currency plays a big part here, but seriously, $2000 for a dual core with 128gb and 8gb ram? Somebody PLEASE tell me I'm not the only here that thinks this is simply wrong .


Oh and TWO ports.
__________________
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines...

Last edited by Zee; 8th September 2017 at 1:06 PM.
Zee is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time now is 7:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
OCAU is not responsible for the content of individual messages posted by others.
Other content copyright Overclockers Australia.
OCAU is hosted by Micron21!