Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > Storage & Backup

Notices

Old 14th September 2017, 9:49 AM   #1
maldotcom2 Thread Starter

Default Acronis backups larger than source

Decided to finally trial Acronis True Image, and it does everything I need* except the destination files are oddly large. I'm imaging my 90% full 250GB OS drive and the backup is 320GB. This is over 100GB larger than using Paragon to backup the same data

Google turns up several instances of people with the same problem, where Acronis give canned, non specific replies that never seem to acknowledge the problem to be software related, rather user error. Has anyone here experienced oversized backups and solved it?

*Full image scheduled cyclic backups of active boot drive to FTP location with auto delete of old versions and easy to use interface.
Intel i7 6700K | Asus Z170M-Plus | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz DDR4 | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | OS: 250 GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD | Games: 500 GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD | EVGA Supernova G2 650W | Fractal Node 804 | Custom Water Loop
maldotcom2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2017, 12:25 AM   #2
callan

This is not going to help you, but I canned Acronis in 2015 for Macrium when they massively "dumbed down" the product and stripped many features out from it. (in particular they made mounting backup disk images a real shitfight). They also very late to the party dealing with UEFI.

The full Macrium product may be expensive, but it works a helluva lot better.

Callan

"I don't like this internet thing anymore, can we have the old version back please?" - BlueRaven

Last edited by callan; 18th September 2017 at 12:27 AM.
callan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2017, 7:18 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by callan View Post
This is not going to help you, but I canned Acronis in 2015 for Macrium when they massively "dumbed down" the product and stripped many features out from it. (in particular they made mounting backup disk images a real shitfight). They also very late to the party dealing with UEFI.

The full Macrium product may be expensive, but it works a helluva lot better.

Callan
This is my first experience with Acronis, so I cannot comment on the "dumbed down" product. However it's quite likely exactly what I need. For my application, a simple front end GUI is essential. The average baby boomer can't be right clicking to run a backup. There needs to be a big flashy button called "BACKUP", and no other distractions.
Intel i7 6700K | Asus Z170M-Plus | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz DDR4 | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | OS: 250 GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD | Games: 500 GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD | EVGA Supernova G2 650W | Fractal Node 804 | Custom Water Loop
Old 18th September 2017, 9:49 AM   #4
callan

That's probably a fair comment: Macrium reflect can be a bit intimidating to the uninitiated, and it has it's quirks. It is well worth taking the time to understand Backup technology and methodology, as an incomplete/unrecoverable backup is worse than no backup at all.

This link has some information that might be of use - but I would advise against doing as the poster suggests as it prevents bare-metal recovery (a mandatory requirement, IMHO)

Callan

"I don't like this internet thing anymore, can we have the old version back please?" - BlueRaven
callan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2017, 5:00 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by callan View Post
That's probably a fair comment: Macrium reflect can be a bit intimidating to the uninitiated, and it has it's quirks. It is well worth taking the time to understand Backup technology and methodology, as an incomplete/unrecoverable backup is worse than no backup at all.

This link has some information that might be of use - but I would advise against doing as the poster suggests as it prevents bare-metal recovery (a mandatory requirement, IMHO)

Callan
The backup size issue seems to have magically resolved itself. I thought I had it nailed when I changed the "Snapshot for backup" setting from VSS to some other setting in options/advanced, as the resulting backup files size was appropriate. But upon returning to the recommended VSS, the backups are the same appropriate size as without VSS. Weird.