Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Software Topics > Windows Operating Systems

Notices

Old 15th January 2014, 8:10 PM   #16
grommet80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneman View Post
What is sabretooth ?
One of the 3 themes for the forum. You can select at the bottom of the page.
grommet80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2014, 8:46 PM   #17
stitch512

Well I was considering purchasing Win8 in the next few weeks for my new build, I have no real issues with Win8 I think its runs quite well it just lacks some common sense. If Win9 is what Win7 was for Vista then Windows should hopefully gain back some of its good reputation.

PC:Asus Sabertooth , AMD FX 8350 @ 4.33Ghz, 16GB DDR3, Gigabyte R9 290x OC
stitch512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2014, 4:03 AM   #18
NiTeHaWk

Quote:
Originally Posted by grommet80 View Post
One of the 3 themes for the forum. You can select at the bottom of the page.
Bit 2 retro 2 select, it's not 2001 anymore on OCAU

All for the releases, I use 8.1 at work (In IT obviously), and Win7 at home. They just need to make it so the start menu isn't so shit. Even with the shortcuts, hotkeys and memerising control panel applets etc, win8 is a failure.
NiTeHaWk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2014, 4:34 AM   #19
Dr Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiTeHaWk View Post
All for the releases, I use 8.1 at work (In IT obviously), and Win7 at home. They just need to make it so the start menu isn't so shit. Even with the shortcuts, hotkeys and memerising control panel applets etc, win8 is a failure.
Win8/8.1 is the Windows Vista equiv.. Maybe Win9 will be a huge upgrade just like it was to Windows 7 from Vista.

Microsoft don't do patches or large updates to fix a layout, they release an entirely new OS to fix that, so Windows 9 sounds like the one to wait it out for
Intel 3930k @ 5Ghz | ASUS Rampage IV Extreme | 32GB DDR3 G.Skill Trident-X 2400 | 2-Way SLI EVGA GTX 1080 SC ACX | 6x 512GB SSD RAID0 | 80TB+ HDD's | LSI 9261-8i RAID Controller *2 Intel Expanders | IBM M1115 RAID Controller | Corsair AX1500i | CaseLabs SMH10 | Dell U3011
Dr Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2014, 3:43 PM   #20
NSanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiTeHaWk View Post
Bit 2 retro 2 select, it's not 2001 anymore on OCAU

See, I too work in IT for a living.

I literally want to stab my eyeballs out if i have to go back to Win 7. I've run 8 for about 6 months before RTM, and 8.1 since RTM.

Just too many features i prefer on Windows 8.x, and things that actually have impact to my day (like network xfers - literally 30MB/sec faster on 8).

Full disclosure, I've been pinning apps and using the Start "search" for app-launching since early Windows 7.

I'm annoyed that I have to keep in my head the locations of various settings across 4 OS's (xp, vista, 7 and now 8) - but its no different to having to cover 4 major releases of Office and where to find options.
NSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2014, 4:13 PM   #21
PabloEscobar

Quote:
Originally Posted by stitch512 View Post
Well I was considering purchasing Win8 in the next few weeks for my new build, I have no real issues with Win8 I think its runs quite well it just lacks some common sense. If Win9 is what Win7 was for Vista then Windows should hopefully gain back some of its good reputation.
So what your saying is, they are going to slap a different skin on it, and resell it, and everyone will happily fork out cash for it... even though, under the hood, it is fundamentally the same operating system as the one it replaced.

Vista got a bad reputation because, at launch there was nowhere near enough driver support for many things, and because OEM's were putting it on under spec hardware (mainly because MS got the recommended spec wrong in the first place).

Win7 was a marketing decision first and foremost.
PabloEscobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2014, 4:18 PM   #22
FoBZY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegemiteman View Post
Once 8.1 launched I installed it on my main rig with StartDock and I love it!! Faster than Win7, some of the new features are really cool and just seems to run better.

My only issue is if you use the built in photos or movies app, you have to use Task Manager to kill them.

I will stick with 8 until 9 is proven better and stable
cant your just drag the apps down from the top of the screen?
FoBZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2014, 5:27 PM   #23
millsy_c

I always laugh at the 'vista was shit' people.

Vista was excellent as an operating system, the driver support and performance on low memory (e.g. mass market) computers was atrocious however. I used it since beta on a system with 6gb of ram and freaking loved it.
Win 8 (and 8.1) is a great operating system, it's fast, seems stable and all the under the hood stuff makes it way nicer than 7. But.... The metro UI is baffling on anything that isn't a tablet.

Last edited by millsy_c; 16th January 2014 at 5:30 PM.
millsy_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2014, 6:01 PM   #24
Zoltag

Quote:
Originally Posted by millsy_c View Post
The metro UI is baffling on anything that isn't a tablet.
This is why I hate Windows 8.

Its also the same reason why I hate Windows 2012 Server (though that is more of a love-hate thing, as 2012 Server is a really good OS, just a lousy interface).
Zoltag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2014, 6:06 PM   #25
AthlonMan
(Banned or Deleted)

Quote:
Originally Posted by millsy_c View Post
I always laugh at the 'vista was shit' people.

Vista was excellent as an operating system, the driver support and performance on low memory (e.g. mass market) computers was atrocious however. I used it since beta on a system with 6gb of ram and freaking loved it.
Win 8 (and 8.1) is a great operating system, it's fast, seems stable and all the under the hood stuff makes it way nicer than 7. But.... The metro UI is baffling on anything that isn't a tablet.
Yep. Vista was fine as long as you didn't run it on a POS or a slightly below spec PC for the time. I remember HP/Dells etc with Vista selling with 512mb RAM
AthlonMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2014, 6:21 PM   #26
munchkin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoltag View Post
This is why I hate Windows 8.
That's a pretty hilarious reason to hate win8, considering especially with 8.1 you can completely ignore and never see metro. I hate metro too so I simply don't use it, and still get the masses of other advantages win8 has over win7.
| 2600k @ 4.4ghz on Corsair H100 - Sabertooth Z77 - 16gb Ripjaws - GTX 1080 8GB - Seasonic XP-1000 Platinum PSU - Samsung 850EVO 1tb+500gb SSD - Dell U2713H 1440p - Schiit Modi2U+Magni2U+Beyer Custom One Pro
munchkin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2014, 7:54 PM   #27
stitch512

Quote:
Originally Posted by PabloEscobar View Post
So what your saying is, they are going to slap a different skin on it, and resell it, and everyone will happily fork out cash for it... even though, under the hood, it is fundamentally the same operating system as the one it replaced.

Vista got a bad reputation because, at launch there was nowhere near enough driver support for many things, and because OEM's were putting it on under spec hardware (mainly because MS got the recommended spec wrong in the first place).

Win7 was a marketing decision first and foremost.
Basically Yes. If it is considered good like Win7 was considered much better than Vista even though to me it just looks slightly different, people will buy it in droves. I did not have any Issues with Vista, I did not fully understand the hate just the same as I don't understand the hate surrounding Win8. I will wait for Win9 now because I now do not see the point investing in an OS when the next one is due to be out in a yr. At least that will give me 2-3yrs before Win10. I can live with Win7 a little while longer.

PC:Asus Sabertooth , AMD FX 8350 @ 4.33Ghz, 16GB DDR3, Gigabyte R9 290x OC
stitch512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2014, 8:13 PM   #28
Hive

Yet another quality release by microsoft inbound.

Coming next...

AUDIO COMMANDS FOR YOUR COMPUTER.

A NEW MONOCHROME INTERFACE, BECAUSE FUCK 3D AND COLORS.

No more aero (Copyright microsoft 2016)

And the piniacle of features and the greatest selling point of ANY WINDOWS OS TO DATE!: Touch sensitive power button modules, the harder you push the button the faster it turns off.
Old 16th January 2014, 8:15 PM   #29
Zee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneman View Post
What is sabretooth ?
A proper, easy to read colour theme.

Z...
Old 17th January 2014, 9:13 AM   #30
PabloEscobar

Quote:
Originally Posted by stitch512 View Post
I will wait for Win9 now because I now do not see the point investing in an OS when the next one is due to be out in a yr. At least that will give me 2-3yrs before Win10. I can live with Win7 a little while longer.
If MS stick with their new release schedule, you will never buy anything... because a new one will be due out the year after .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hive View Post
AUDIO COMMANDS FOR YOUR COMPUTER.
Speech Recognition has been built in since XP.
PabloEscobar is offline   Reply With Quote