Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Software Topics > Windows Operating Systems

Notices

Old 5th February 2014, 9:41 AM   #46
elvis
Old school old fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyoSaeba View Post
I made the new coke comparison months ago and the fanbois jumped all over it.
The most amusing thing for me about Windows 8 is not the abysmal failure that was the OS itself, but rather this new generation of Windows zealots that I've never seen before in my life (and I've been doing this computers thing for a while - long before Microsoft were even a company).

I've seen that sort of frothing at the mouth from other minority OSes before, but seeing it in a Microsoft world was pretty interesting to say the least.

But hey, at least someone is passionate about something Microsoft made. That's a first.
elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2014, 9:59 AM   #47
Aetherone

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis View Post
But hey, at least someone is passionate about something Microsoft made. That's a first.
Positively passionate at that. All us old farts used to hate their stuff with a passion instead
Aetherone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2014, 10:47 AM   #48
MR CHILLED Thread Starter
D'oh!

Quote:
I was passionate enough about XP and 7.....absolutely loved both OS's. The rest I couldn't care less for.
Old 5th February 2014, 1:01 PM   #49
elvis
Old school old fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aetherone View Post
Positively passionate at that. All us old farts used to hate their stuff with a passion instead
This is true. I seem to put a lot more "passion" into things that annoy me. Being old and cynical sucks sometimes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR CHILLED View Post
I was passionate enough about XP and 7.....absolutely loved both OS's. The rest I couldn't care less for.
I can't ever say I met anyone who was passionate about XP. It was a stable OS that did what it was supposed to do, and largely stayed out of people's way of getting work done. For that reason, people were happy enough to use it as a tool, but I can't ever recall anyone being really passionate about it in the way I saw people getting passionate about Apple products or open source during the same window of time.

These days the pro-Microsoft crowd are much more vocal, and as mentioned the offshoot group of zealots have appeared that, IMHO, are really doing the community at large harm. (You know the ones: the "You don't like Metro? Oh, well you're obviously stuck in the stone ages and are just too scared to change" crowd, who were absent the day they talked about personal preference in school).

It's appeared to me that all of this passion (positive and negative) has begun a little more with the success of other Microsoft products/services (Xbox, Azure, Office 365) now that the Microsoft brand means more to most than just desktop PCs (which, lets be honest, never had the "cool factor" of other non-x86 personal computers, even if that "cool factor" was only within the nerd crowd). And with that said, it illustrates what Microsoft have missed out on with the failure of their mobile platforms, and just how important that was for their brand, particularly with the non-nerd crowd.

Who knows, maybe their new CEO appointed just this week can steer the ship around? He's a server/enterprise guy by trade, but that doesn't necessarily mean he can't see the value outside of that point of view.
Old 5th February 2014, 1:10 PM   #50
RyoSaeba

Quote:
The most amusing thing for me about Windows 8 is not the abysmal failure that was the OS itself, but rather this new generation of Windows zealots that I've never seen before in my life (and I've been doing this computers thing for a while - long before Microsoft were even a company).

I've seen that sort of frothing at the mouth from other minority OSes before, but seeing it in a Microsoft world was pretty interesting to say the least.

And all I said was that they'll bring back the start menu. I wasn't even saying that the OS was bad. Just Metro was annoying. Then all the fanbois came out of the woodwork and started attacking. It was actually rather funny.
RyoSaeba is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2014, 1:26 PM   #51
D'oh!

Quote:
I can't ever say I met anyone who was passionate about XP. It was a stable OS that did what it was supposed to do, and largely stayed out of people's way of getting work done. For that reason, people were happy enough to use it as a tool, but I can't ever recall anyone being really passionate about it in the way I saw people getting passionate about Apple products or open source during the same window of time.
I loved it in the testing phase and naturally loved it upon release. It just heralded a new era of OS bling in a way....it was new, flashy, stable, fast as heck and was the next level up in intuitiveness. Was also great for ocing. No reason not to like it really. In terms of "passion" well that's just a label....and if you equate apple passion with MS passion well then I don't think the two are the same and I would agree; I don't see the same type of fervent love with MS XP (in particular) as you might see in apple products for example. I think it's a different sort of passion really.

The "cool factor" for MS was limited to the 'nerdy' community. Apple extends the "cool factor" to the non-nerd community, primarily through marketing.

But yes, I think I was as "passionate" (if you want to call it that) about XP as anyone was at the time.
Old 5th February 2014, 1:48 PM   #52
elvis
Old school old fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR CHILLED View Post
and was the next level up in intuitiveness
Windows people need to stop talking about intuition, especially on a quarter-century old interface design.

20 years of training != intuition.
Old 5th February 2014, 2:24 PM   #53
elvis
Old school old fool

Quote:
And with that said, it illustrates what Microsoft have missed out on with the failure of their mobile platforms
Ironically, this appeared in my RSS feed just now:

http://arstechnica.com/information-t...he-road-ahead/

Bill Gates' predictions of mobile computing made in 1995. Almost two decades later, Apple and Google dominate the market with products built off UNIX and Linux.

Last edited by elvis; 5th February 2014 at 2:27 PM.
Old 5th February 2014, 3:31 PM   #54
D'oh!

Quote:
Windows people need to stop talking about intuition, especially on a quarter-century old interface design.
It's relative, and by that I mean from the previous iteration. I'm not talking about the whole global perspective on the topic.
Old 5th February 2014, 5:11 PM   #55
PabloEscobar

The line between paid shill and zealous consumer grows ever more thin. Especially with the recent revelations around stealth marketing campaigns for xBone.

If I were Satya Nutella, Here would be my priorities.

Big announcement. the the start menu is coming back in 8.2. make a big song and dance about it, jump on some chairs, wear some turtlenecks... All of a sudden, rhetoric becomes "Hey, this new guy at MS knows what people want!, he must be great"

Next up, Shit or get off the can, regarding Tablets and Phones. If your sticking with it, thrown a metric fuckton of money at it, get first party apps for your platform by whatever means necessary... Rebrand RT as "X-Tabs", integrate them even more heavily with the xBone... sell all the old stock to Dudebro's.

Third, fix the licensing nightmare that is MS enterprise products, Drop the whole "Cal" thing. adjust pricing of products to suit.

Let Azure grow nativley by making it naturally useful, rather than forcing people towards it.

Open up MSBeta and rush out quasi-finished applications to see which ones gain traction in the market. (aka.. do a google).
PabloEscobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2014, 9:00 PM   #56
Falls

I hope in windows 9 , you get a choice of how you want you interface, "retro" or "metro" sexual. Specifically talking about desktop PC.

F
Old 6th February 2014, 10:29 AM   #57
PabloEscobar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falls View Post
I hope in windows 9 , you get a choice of how you want you interface, "retro" or "metro" sexual. Specifically talking about desktop PC.

F
I want a Retro UI... all the icons/tiles have Massive Afro's.
PabloEscobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2014, 10:38 AM   #58
NSanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by PabloEscobar View Post
I want a Retro UI... all the icons/tiles have Massive Afro's.
And Bellbottoms.
NSanity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2014, 10:40 AM   #59
NSanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by PabloEscobar View Post
The line between paid shill and zealous consumer grows ever more thin. Especially with the recent revelations around stealth marketing campaigns for xBone.

If I were Satya Nutella, Here would be my priorities.

Big announcement. the the start menu is coming back in 8.2. make a big song and dance about it, jump on some chairs, wear some turtlenecks... All of a sudden, rhetoric becomes "Hey, this new guy at MS knows what people want!, he must be great"

Next up, Shit or get off the can, regarding Tablets and Phones. If your sticking with it, thrown a metric fuckton of money at it, get first party apps for your platform by whatever means necessary... Rebrand RT as "X-Tabs", integrate them even more heavily with the xBone... sell all the old stock to Dudebro's.

Third, fix the licensing nightmare that is MS enterprise products, Drop the whole "Cal" thing. adjust pricing of products to suit.

Let Azure grow nativley by making it naturally useful, rather than forcing people towards it.

Open up MSBeta and rush out quasi-finished applications to see which ones gain traction in the market. (aka.. do a google).
I like most of this except the CAL thing.

Crushes SMB.

Unless you have a "for less than X seats" edition.
NSanity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2014, 12:31 PM   #60
SpudBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falls View Post

F
except they arent allowed to call it metro =3
SpudBoy is offline   Reply With Quote