Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Software Topics > Windows Operating Systems

Notices

Old 21st October 2014, 2:45 PM   #751
Vladdo

Anyone using a HiDef monitor in windows 10? I have a 4k monitor and find it pretty ordinary in windows 8.1
Old 22nd October 2014, 9:41 AM   #752
FuzzyKaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladdo View Post
Anyone using a HiDef monitor in windows 10? I have a 4k monitor and find it pretty ordinary in windows 8.1
I'm using a 2k monitor and everything is cool, no metro to worry about here mate.

On another note, build 9860 was released today.

Looks like you will be able to just do a windows update to get it if you are already on build 9841.

Go to PC Settings, Update and Recovery then Preview Builds.
۵ Intel Core i7-2600k ۵ ASUS Sabertooth P67 ۵ 8GB Corsair Vengeance ۵ OCZ Vertex 3 240GB ۵ Gigabyte GTX 690 4GB ۵ Dell UltraSharp U3014 30" ۵ Corsair Graphite 600T (SE White) ۵ Corsair AX850 ۵ Corsair H70 ۵ ASUS Xonar Essence STX

Last edited by FuzzyKaos; 22nd October 2014 at 9:46 AM.
FuzzyKaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2014, 9:58 AM   #753
scottath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladdo View Post
Im using it on a rMBP - and its working nicly! Some strange things with windows moving from the retina screen onto a normal 24" screen with scaling issues (task manager becomes half the 24" screen etc) - that aside its good on the retina screen.

I have issues where Windows+Shift+Arrow doesnt move windows between monitors, but thats the only functional issue im having
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyKaos View Post
I'm using a 2k monitor and everything is cool, no metro to worry about here mate.

On another note, build 9860 was released today.

Looks like you will be able to just do a windows update to get it if you are already on build 9841.

Go to PC Settings, Update and Recovery then Preview Builds.
Thanks for that - will update mine now - hopefully fixes my rMBP issue - SSD likes to lock for 20 seconds a few times a day, and System/System Interrupts hog ~20% of the cpu after a reboot until i sleep the system, after it wakes up its all good though.
Old 22nd October 2014, 4:38 PM   #754
FuzzyKaos

Well I pressed update, went out for a few hours, came back with the login screen asking for my password, and it did the hello new user thing and I was in with the new build installed.

Cool.

I just logged in and saw the new notification center but havent encountered anything else new yet.
۵ Intel Core i7-2600k ۵ ASUS Sabertooth P67 ۵ 8GB Corsair Vengeance ۵ OCZ Vertex 3 240GB ۵ Gigabyte GTX 690 4GB ۵ Dell UltraSharp U3014 30" ۵ Corsair Graphite 600T (SE White) ۵ Corsair AX850 ۵ Corsair H70 ۵ ASUS Xonar Essence STX
FuzzyKaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2014, 5:11 PM   #755
Revenger

Blog post on the new update.

Public is now part of the build and testing process. Every public person is in the second public stage unless you change a setting in PC Settings to get the builds when they are first pushed publicly.

Try not to whinge this or that is broken rolled back or get really upset at things and if you have a issue or want etc, use the feedback app to supply it to Microsoft, as made part of the internal build and testing process public now and and are basically what Microsoft would have their external build and support group.

I'm happy to see this change for more public acknowledgment on how Windows gets built and it really does appear there roadmap for Windows 10 is built to incorporate the community feedback build and testing as a very big part of development.

Selected builds aka weekly milestones or knowledgeable builds get to us after a week and a half from their dailies which are pushed changes usually coded that day/week from the developers if you happened to use things like GIT, GCode, SVN and other things before.

So all our feedback for extra things we did will get to us in about a month or so given time for developers to start coding and have something workable.

So far has been critical bugs and blue screens fixed and other core things like that which they say has been over 7 thousand commits, also for things like window and desktop rendering issues etc.

Last edited by Revenger; 22nd October 2014 at 8:53 PM.
Revenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2014, 10:45 PM   #756
death

I installed it however i went to do a windows update and its taken over 2hrs to download and install 5 updates. It doesnt seem to have crashed as everything is responsive. There is no indicator for what has been installed.
If I click view update history nothing shows up as installed.
There is no response when I click on stop installation.

Also I wanted to test media centre to see if my tuner card will work (DigitalNow Quad DVB-T).
It doesnt seem to have one i think its disabled for previews.
Any news on that?
death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2014, 11:23 PM   #757
Bold Eagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by death View Post
I installed it however i went to do a windows update and its taken over 2hrs to download and install 5 updates. It doesnt seem to have crashed as everything is responsive. There is no indicator for what has been installed.
If I click view update history nothing shows up as installed.
There is no response when I click on stop installation.

Also I wanted to test media centre to see if my tuner card will work (DigitalNow Quad DVB-T).
It doesnt seem to have one i think its disabled for previews.
Any news on that?
I would assume you have installed the preview, then for the "new build" update, mentioned just above you;
Quote:
The download will range between 2GB and 2.74GB depending on CPU architecture and language.
is trying to DL as 50,000 others are trying to attain at the same time.
Old 23rd October 2014, 6:15 PM   #758
death

it wasnt the build update AFAIK i just did a windows update

Even now approx 20 hrs later its still trying to install
the download was complete
death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2014, 6:55 PM   #759
sully_billy

After update to 9860, AVG free is not working correctly and cannot repair itself.

AVG just says a restart is needed but it doesn't fix the problem.

AVG cannot do a scan, reports scan interrupted.

Many crap apps that I had uninstalled were reinstalled, have uninstalled them again.

Windows updates took about two mins to download and install.
Old 23rd October 2014, 7:07 PM   #760
Bold Eagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully_billy View Post
After update to 9860, AVG free is not working correctly and cannot repair itself.

AVG just says a restart is needed but it doesn't fix the problem.

AVG cannot do a scan, reports scan interrupted.

Many crap apps that I had uninstalled were reinstalled, have uninstalled them again.

Windows updates took about two mins to download and install.
AVG is utter crap nowadays.

I'd suggest Ad-aware Free.
http://www.lavasoft.com/products/ad_aware_free.php

Last edited by Bold Eagle; 23rd October 2014 at 7:16 PM.
Bold Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2014, 7:37 PM   #761
sully_billy

Quote:
Originally Posted by xplod140 View Post
Anyone else have dialup like download speeds with Chrome?

Waterfox and IE are fine but Chrome is dead slow when downloading anything, like minutes to download a file less than 10mb like CCleaner.

It's really killing me!
Internet Explorer downloading at speed and can play YouTube without any problems, but Mozilla is unable to download fast enough to play any YouTube smoothly, even channel 9 news update videos are a stutter.
Old 23rd October 2014, 7:39 PM   #762
sully_billy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bold Eagle View Post
AVG is utter crap nowadays.

I'd suggest Ad-aware Free.
http://www.lavasoft.com/products/ad_aware_free.php
Who cares whether it's crap or not, the thread is about problems with MS 10.
Old 23rd October 2014, 8:11 PM   #763
Bold Eagle

Quote:
The thread is about Windows 10 - not just problems!
Old 24th October 2014, 12:56 AM   #764
karnophage

Quote:
Then why are you posting about your issues with AVG?
karnophage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2014, 1:32 AM   #765
xplod140

I couldn't install Avast free antivirus, said it wasn't compatible. Bitdefender works so that will do. I'm not phased really as it's a test build so nothing personal or permanent on the machine.

I even set-up a new email address for this.

Also went to download the new ISO today but it's still showing the old build so not sure if they will update it or just make you burn bandwidth for the version upgrade if you start fresh or move to a new machine.