Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Manufacturer-specific Forums > Intel x86 CPUs and chipsets

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 30th May 2017, 2:52 PM   #736
Sarsippius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratzz View Post
I use a 3D printed delid tool (MortarArt sells them for <$20) to delid.
Do you have a link? I got a few hits on google related to 3d printing but didn't see anything specific to delid tools.

Is this the same type from one of the OP's posts that uses a vice?

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 13th June 2017, 8:00 PM   #737
Edward05

well headin2001 iam happy with this finally got around to getting it going

Old 13th June 2017, 11:56 PM   #738
Ratzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarsippius View Post
Do you have a link? I got a few hits on google related to 3d printing but didn't see anything specific to delid tools.

Is this the same type from one of the OP's posts that uses a vice?
MortarArt (OCAU)
His website

This tool. Yes, it uses a vise. I have a special edition black+white version I don't know what colour his other stock is, but I think I'd have done well over a dozen chips using this tool and no problems as yet.

Unlike some of the fancy tools though, this one doesn't 'relid', ie it doesn't clamp the IHS down again after you have replaced the TIM and siliconed the IHS back on, which you want to do of course until it gets enough grab to work with safely. I use a stationery clipboard as a clamp, works very well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by seizium View Post
I did visit the NBN van today at Westfields North Lakes, but their internet connection wasn't working so they couldn't give me any information
My Rig

Last edited by Ratzz; 14th June 2017 at 2:17 PM.
Ratzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2017, 2:04 PM   #739
Sarsippius

Thanks, I sussed it out and have one on the way from him, very quick and simple through the 3D Hubs site.

I've read a number of your posts that have some good info on getting it all done, cheers
Old 3rd July 2017, 12:40 PM   #740
Kow

Probably been answered before I read the first 5 pages and the last 10 pages of this thread and searched but I didn't come up with an answer. I was wondering My mate has a ROG hero IX and is putting a 7700k in there with it. I was wondering what a decent cooler is for this board and chip? No OC or anything everything is OG. I was looking at the noctua's but some of them are too big for the board / case / GPU / RAM clearance. We were also looking at AIO. It seems like overkill or not worth it. But would be happy to hear which coolers are decent for the 7700k.
Kow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2017, 1:26 PM   #741
Dragonfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kow View Post
I was wondering My mate has a ROG hero IX and is putting a 7700k in there with it. I was wondering what a decent cooler is for this board and chip? No OC or anything everything is OG.
Something like this is all you need.

https://www.pccasegear.com/products/...12x-cpu-cooler
Old 7th July 2017, 7:00 AM   #742
Kow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
Something like this is all you need.

https://www.pccasegear.com/products/...12x-cpu-cooler
Thanks, that is what I recommend initially. Other forums said the 212 isn't really that good with the 7700 but will take that advice and see if he wants to go that way. Mate is also looking at the MasterLiquid Pro 240 or the thermaltake water 3.0. Anyone use them? That's the only ones that the store had in stock. I feel it's a little overkill for not oc the cpu.
Kow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2017, 8:03 AM   #743
Ratzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kow View Post
Thanks, that is what I recommend initially. Other forums said the 212 isn't really that good with the 7700 but will take that advice and see if he wants to go that way. Mate is also looking at the MasterLiquid Pro 240 or the thermaltake water 3.0. Anyone use them? That's the only ones that the store had in stock. I feel it's a little overkill for not oc the cpu.
The 212 is perfect for a non overclocked chip. It won't cut it past about 5GHz on a delidded chip though, or probably 4.8GHz on a non-delidded chip (depending of course on the chip).
Quote:
Originally Posted by seizium View Post
I did visit the NBN van today at Westfields North Lakes, but their internet connection wasn't working so they couldn't give me any information
My Rig
Ratzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2017, 1:04 AM   #744
PsychoticOrc

So I'm looking at replacing the guys of my kids pc soon as I'm going to be upgrading it to socket 1151. They're currently running a system with 8gb ddr3 and an i7 870 at stock paired with a Radeon hd 8570. Would an i3 7100 or lower give similar performance or would I need to look higher? Also I'm going to assume that the integrated graphics will be on par or better than the Radeon card I have currently given it's ancient?
PsychoticOrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2017, 6:05 AM   #745
Euphoreia

Buy them a new graphics card and forget about upgrading anything else
Euphoreia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2017, 12:14 PM   #746
pajpajpaj

Urgh. I've just spent 30mins wondering why my new 7700K build locked the CPU multiplier at 8x as soon as I activated the XMP memory profile to get 3200MHz.

Turns out the latest Asus mobo bios 906 (Strix z270G) has an overvolting bug which for many people causes the multiplier to get stuck on x8 when using XMP.

Solution is to either downgrade to previous version (801) of bios or manually set both CPU System Agent and VCCIO voltages to, say 1.15v

Reference: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...memory-setting

Last edited by pajpajpaj; 10th July 2017 at 4:26 PM.
pajpajpaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2017, 11:59 PM   #747
pajpajpaj

Default Another 7700K result

I thought I had established a stable overclock on my new 7700K (brilliantly delidded by HeadIn - thanks mate): x50 @ 1.34v adaptive VCore, RAM 32gb 3200c14 @ 1.35v. I could successfully pass hours of Prime95 with AVX, LinX, Intel XTU, Cinebench, GeekBench and OCCT, as well as run benchmarks like 3DMark and RealBench's "benchmark". The only strange thing was RealBench's "stress test" would crash after just a few minutes (in its LuxMark component with a msvcr120.dll error).

I hoped this was an incompatibility and not an instability... but to be sure I ramped up the voltage and found I *could* successfully run RealBench Stress Test at 1.36v VCore. So RealBench Stress Test was detecting an instability that no other tool could find!

Here's my entry:

pajpajpaj - 7700K delidded - X716B602 (Vietnam) - Z270G - G.Skill Trident Z 4x8GB 3200C14 @ 1.35v - 51/46 - 1.36v VCore adaptive - 24/7 (AVX stable >1hr Prime95, XTU, Linx, RealBench)

I've put up a page for my PC build here: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/2KpG3C

Last edited by pajpajpaj; 14th July 2017 at 9:13 AM.
Old 14th July 2017, 6:33 PM   #748
radeon_freak

Are you running MSI Afterburner whilst using RealBench? Myself and a lot of others have had luxmark crashes whilst using RealBench and Afterburner at the same time, even with completely stock settings. Seems like they don't play nice together.
Sales: Hung Mung01, arnica, goodguy82, pshnfry, Pic, XTREME OC'ER, lui_gough, alexanderino, phil_is_mrx, Noonoo, lionman, snoozeys, callen_1, iCrunk, craigoss, CHemical, V1C7012, mtot, Miggod, protecon, Chop92per, Copie, stedyedy, Pipster, Peteodeath, Blue_muppet, dingdong555, baby_ute, fredhoon, WuzzA21, ElBeasto, lostdude, endo, disa1377,TwistedTripper, SoniQx, MorgzMods, gigabyte123, lostdude, vinnie, iNoob, colinskies, Wombycat, jamieyn, Linkin, aln, Little Man, linsi, AdsfromOz + many more
radeon_freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2017, 7:52 PM   #749
pajpajpaj

Default RealBench Stress Test crashing

I wasn't running MSI Afterburner... but I'd read reports of it causing crashes in RealBench... also reports of possible incompatibilities between RealBench and Pascal-based video cards or any program with a graphics overlay.

I only ran RealBench Stress Test with Cpuz running and it would still crash after 2 minutes whilst every other tool was stable for hours at 1.34v. Upping my VCore to 1.36 made RealBench Stress Test stable too.

\_(ツ)_/

Last edited by pajpajpaj; 14th July 2017 at 9:49 PM.