Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > Business & Enterprise Computing

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 17th February 2017, 5:17 PM   #21136
NSanity

ssds for everyone
NSanity is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 17th February 2017, 5:20 PM   #21137
shredder

Quote:
Originally Posted by PabloEscobar View Post
Theres no smarter way of doing it
That's what they all say. But you're probably right and should have at it with a vengeance. While living free. On a good day.
shredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2017, 5:29 PM   #21138
^catalyst

Quote:
How many files in a Shit-ton? is it metric or imperial?

How many shit-tonnes in 3 Million?
11.5K~ in my thing. And I'm talking about find string in open files, not find files; which you want to use the fucking magical control-P search thing in sublime.
^catalyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2017, 5:30 PM   #21139
PabloEscobar

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSanity View Post
ssds for everyone
But... But... Thats what broke the ATO.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/0...office_outage/

Spinning rust all the way.
PabloEscobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2017, 5:40 PM   #21140
Hive

Quote:
But... But... Thats what broke the ATO.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/0...office_outage/

Spinning rust all the way.
Fuck right off HPE. Where do you get off charging people 3x the going rate for a HPE sticker on a samsung PM863 SSD with custom HPE firmware loaded to it only to then blame what, SSD tech in general when it fails? Fuck right off

No. Clearly some monkey at HPE didnt QA the custom firmware they insisted on loading. accept your blame for your overpriced pieces of vendor locked proprietary shit. Stop trying to reinvent the wheel if you are literally so dumb you cant go a day without forgetting to wipe your ass after a dump.

This is a rant thread after-all, and if HP's social media staff wanna read the above after it being caught by their narcissistic review detection bot, fuck you too.

-Sincerely, everyone who has tried to push SSD's (The right way - using vendors warranty backed options) only to be shot down when the client whinges at the prices, then having to explain why there brand new system is still slow with $VendorsApps.
Meanwhile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke212 View Post
both of which is why for any purpose you can throw at it, a single core always demolishes any multi core.

Last edited by Hive; 17th February 2017 at 6:00 PM.
Hive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2017, 5:52 PM   #21141
NSanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hive View Post
Fuck right off HPE. Where do you get off charging people 3x the going rate for a HPE sticker on a samsung PM863 SSD with custom HPE firmware loaded to it only to then blame what, SSD tech in general when it fails? Fuck right off

No. Clearly some monkey at HPE didnt QA the custom firmware they insisted on loading. accept your blame for your overpriced pieces of vendor locked proprietary shit. Stop trying to reinvent the wheel if you cant go a day without forgetting to wipe your ass after a dump.

This is the rant thread after-all, and if HP's social media staff wanna read the above after it being caught by their narcissistic review detection bot, fuck you too.

-Sincerely, everyone who has tried to push SSD's (The right way - using vendors warranty backed options) only to be shot down when the client whinges at the prices, then having to explain why it's slow.
ahhahhhahahhhaahahahhahhaa
NSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2017, 6:01 PM   #21142
Perko

Yeah the "certain set of conditions" gives it away.
The ambiguity in the statement is redundant though, did the SSD die and set off the issue? Or did the SSD's presence in general cause the issue?

Correct answer is, who gives a shit, it's irrelevant.

Quote:
I wouldn't be smashing the crap out of this box for most of the weekend
Friday night euphemisms right there.
Main: Corsair 600C/Enermax Platimax 850/MSI X99A SLI Plus/i7-5820k @ 4GHz/Be Quiet! Silent Loop 280mm AIO/Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz Low Profile/Galax GTX 1080 EXOC/Creative SB-Z + Beyer T70/Samsung 950 Pro 512GB + 1TB Caviar Black/Win 10 Pro/Cherry Compuregister - MX Clears/Mionix Naos 3200/X-Star DP2710 Glossy
Perko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2017, 6:22 PM   #21143
PabloEscobar

Quote:

No. Clearly some monkey at HPE didnt QA the custom firmware they insisted on loading. accept your blame for your overpriced pieces of vendor locked proprietary shit. Stop trying to reinvent the wheel if you are literally so dumb you cant go a day without forgetting to wipe your ass after a dump.

This is a rant thread after-all, and if HP's social media staff wanna read the above after it being caught by their narcissistic review detection bot, fuck you too.

-Sincerely, everyone who has tried to push SSD's (The right way - using vendors warranty backed options) only to be shot down when the client whinges at the prices, then having to explain why there brand new system is still slow with $VendorsApps.
A+, Would Read Again.
Top quality Rant-Post for a Friday Afternoon.
If HPE do ping you for it, ask them to post a rebuttal .
I look forward to the PWC report mid march that declares "ATO bought products/services from the top X in the Gartner Magic Quadrant, so nobody is at fault"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perko View Post
Friday night euphemisms right there.
You know it.
PabloEscobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2017, 6:38 PM   #21144
DavidRa

Quote:
Fuck right off HPE. Where do you get off charging people 3x the going rate...
3x? Don't know where you're getting them that cheap. In my experience it's nearly 10x on a lot of that stuff.

Complete joke.
DavidRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2017, 8:05 PM   #21145
Daemon

Quote:
A+, Would Read Again.
Top quality Rant-Post for a Friday Afternoon.
If HPE do ping you for it, ask them to post a rebuttal .
I look forward to the PWC report mid march that declares "ATO bought products/services from the top X in the Gartner Magic Quadrant, so nobody is at fault"
On one hand, I want to agree and applaud.

On the other hand, it's 110% accurate and therefore not a rant.... I'm torn.

Currently seeing pricing on 50+TB of SSD storage and getting $vendors trying to argue their kit is worth a 50% premium over the RRP of the underlying drive.... not including the chassis. Not even a single yacht invite either
Old 18th February 2017, 1:19 PM   #21146
bcann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perko View Post
Yeah the "certain set of conditions" gives it away.
The ambiguity in the statement is redundant though, did the SSD die and set off the issue? Or did the SSD's presence in general cause the issue?
Coulda swore i read somewhere the SAN dropped a whole disk shelf.
bcann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2017, 1:52 PM   #21147
Perko

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcann View Post
Coulda swore i read somewhere the SAN dropped a whole disk shelf.
Yeah I thought it was far more than one disk too, but the spin, (no pun), has started now. Unless they can prove that it's a physical or firmware fault on the SSD units themselves though, they're just pissing in the wind doing this.

But I guess that there are enough non-technical, purse string holding decision makers in the world to throw a bit of plausible deniability into the mix. After all, the E stands for Enterprise, so it must be super-special business grade.
Main: Corsair 600C/Enermax Platimax 850/MSI X99A SLI Plus/i7-5820k @ 4GHz/Be Quiet! Silent Loop 280mm AIO/Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz Low Profile/Galax GTX 1080 EXOC/Creative SB-Z + Beyer T70/Samsung 950 Pro 512GB + 1TB Caviar Black/Win 10 Pro/Cherry Compuregister - MX Clears/Mionix Naos 3200/X-Star DP2710 Glossy
Old 18th February 2017, 4:11 PM   #21148
elvis Thread Starter
Old school old fool

Quote:
If only my text files were in some sort of indexed database, this search wouldn't be taking for fucking ever.
Assuming the DBA/dev didn't fuck the indexing up, and your database supports full text indexing, or you don't want to do something crazy like regex patterns... pretty much if all the stars align and the tools let you do the trivial thing you want to do, then it works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSanity View Post
subtle, i like it.
Yeah, it was a nice try. Still "this specific thing for this specific need" territory, rather than "just make it fucking easy for people to do whatever they want", which I prefer (because my wants aren't necessarily your wants, nor the wants of the developer).
Old 18th February 2017, 9:35 PM   #21149
wintermute000

Well there IS the thing re: enterprise providers guaranteeing that you can still get a copy of component XYZ that is (in theory) exactly the same as the one in your tin up to say 5 years from now, whereas if you were sourcing components directly they'd probably be out of production quicker than that.

E.g. an Enterprise rebadge of say a Sammy Evo 840 (I know I know not enterprise not SLC or decent MLC yada yada its just an example) would have the firmware and flash and all that jazz locked in for 5 years. You try getting a new Evo840 now, let alone in another year or two's time.

Now having said all that I'm not in the hardware vending game so I have NO idea how much cost this would add, but I presume it would not be trivial?

Also the testing/validation of component XYZ against your custom hardware. Sure a lot of the time, esp. interfacing through standard APIs/protocols it should just work, but the THEORY (again IRL standards, er, vary) they should catch all the exceptions and issues and give you nice 100% compatible no surprises behaviour. Even if 95% of the time the whitebox part works perfectly, that 5% of the time it blows up in an unexpected fashion could end up costing you a lot more money than the initial saving.
wintermute000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2017, 10:16 AM   #21150
Perko

Quote:
Originally Posted by wintermute000 View Post
Well there IS the thing re: enterprise providers guaranteeing that you can still get a copy of component XYZ that is (in theory) exactly the same as the one in your tin up to say 5 years from now, whereas if you were sourcing components directly they'd probably be out of production quicker than that.

E.g. an Enterprise rebadge of say a Sammy Evo 840 (I know I know not enterprise not SLC or decent MLC yada yada its just an example) would have the firmware and flash and all that jazz locked in for 5 years. You try getting a new Evo840 now, let alone in another year or two's time.

Now having said all that I'm not in the hardware vending game so I have NO idea how much cost this would add, but I presume it would not be trivial?

Also the testing/validation of component XYZ against your custom hardware. Sure a lot of the time, esp. interfacing through standard APIs/protocols it should just work, but the THEORY (again IRL standards, er, vary) they should catch all the exceptions and issues and give you nice 100% compatible no surprises behaviour. Even if 95% of the time the whitebox part works perfectly, that 5% of the time it blows up in an unexpected fashion could end up costing you a lot more money than the initial saving.
Sure, but is that worth, (using the anecdotes here), 300-1000% of the coin? Particularly given what's happened with the "genuine" kit. White box supply chains still have the wholesaler/retailer to go through, so you could probably assume that the enterprise vendors would achieve a decent economy of scale in terms of price per unit by buying direct in very large bulk numbers, even if they had to buy warranty units at a rate of 1:1, (which is unlikely at best). This case is a screw up that reflects badly on the segment, but the underlying premium STILL results in smaller, yet data reliant businesses forcing dodgy Bob down the road to plug a few extra WD Blues into a PC that they bought from Harvey Norman, RAID them up, and call it a storage server. This is so bad for the long term reputation of IT in business, because name me a business person that would blame themselves and tell all their associates that they made a mistake by going cheap, rather than "f####ing computers, and f##k that dodgy Bob guy too."

I see the same thing in agriculture, where vendors of decent kit are actually holding the industry back by demanding extreme money for it, driving the small to medium guys into the arms of bargain basement imports that introduce serious safety risks to the operators and people around them in some cases, as well as resulting in a very slow trickle down on the introduction of productivity gains through precision ag and other techs.