Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > Modding

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 10th December 2016, 9:43 AM   #1201
Eisenhorn

My Ghetto R9 280x, actually runs great like this. the fans wernt powering on so i added my own.
Eisenhorn is online now   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 10th December 2016, 10:11 AM   #1202
shredder

I've done the same to an old 7950. Those crappy Windforce fans and their lack of durability.
shredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2016, 4:06 PM   #1203
/invariance\

You had me with the different fans, but the power cable, ooooh baby!
Smooth vintage MX blacks on a Wyse 85 courtesy of Soarer's Wyse Converter.
/invariance\ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2016, 4:32 PM   #1204
Hive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisenhorn View Post
My Ghetto R9 280x, actually runs great like this. the fans wernt powering on so i added my own.
You've done a bit of a dodgy job, the wiring harness is not permanently and irrevocably duct taped together. This can create a mess.

Click to view full size!

Last edited by Hive; 21st December 2016 at 4:36 PM.
Hive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2016, 5:03 PM   #1205
MUTMAN

Duct tape enhances flexibility of stiff cables
MUTMAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2017, 4:04 AM   #1206
Ratzz

Not as ghetto as most of my shit, but a handy little mod I think...

Because I use drives removed from USB enclosures, my drives appear to lack something which a normal locking SATA cable is supposed to lock to, because they don't lock....

This can be an issue when you are stuffing a bunch of cables into the back of a computer.. fire it all up and fuck a drive is missing.. open the back and stick the SATA cable back where it belongs.

Of course this is less of a problem if cable management is good and you are no longer 'stuffing' cables in, but still not satisfactory.

So, killing two birds with one stone, heres my solution. Lock the cables in, and improve cable management at the same time.

I've picked up a couple of these Startech adapters. I got them from PLE, preordered for 8 bucks each, but they are no longer listing them so I've just linked to the Startech page.

When buying this type of adapter, take note that there are two sizes.. a mini and a full size. The mini is much more common and available, its for slim/slot loading ODD's. The full size adapter like this one is harder to find. Don't buy the wrong one!

Heres the Startech photo.. copied by me and uploaded to my own storage to avoid hotlinking.

Its a shame the mobo end of the SATA cables don't have locks.. why they wouldn't do so is beyond me but its far less of an issue for me than it is in the back anyway so still a big improvement.

I wanted to turn the pair of Molex connectors into a single Molex and make them a little more tidy. Its the back of the PC, I really wasn't concerned about sleeving and shit , just wanted it a bit tidy. Its only running a couple of drives so splitting one into two is no issue. Of course I also wanted to thoroughly lock down the connectors so they wouldn't shift again too. I used Molex because these are the only SATA devices in my case.. the pump is molex, the fans are PWM/Molex, and the OS drive is M.2, so I basically only use a single multi Molex cable from my PSU for peripherals. Keeps cable clutter down

I took a Molex extension lead I had lying around which was already braided, cut it, and soldered and heatshrinked the two startech Molex connectors to it, turning two short thick ugly connectors into one longer, neater one.

I've just folded up the SATA cables as they don't need the length in my case, but of course they could be a lot longer (450mm) if I needed them to.

I've then inserted the adapters into the drives, stuck a couple of bits of Primochill tube inbetween the adapters to keep them from bending, and used a couple of zip ties to lock both adapters very solidly to the drives, using the space between SATA and power on the adapter as a perfect place to run the zip tie.

The drive cage came from a Phanteks Evolv as far as I can recall, I'll be attaching it to the back of the mobo tray of my Fractal Nano S with Tarzans Grip double sided tape, which if you have never tried I highly recommend. It will remove easily when required, and absolutely never unless required.

Of course this means changing a drive is dead easy.. peel the cage from the case, cut the zip tie, change the drive, new zip tie and just stick it back where it came from..

I'll add some pix of the installed drives later
MSI Z270I GAMING PRO CARBON, 2x16GB GSkill Trident 3200, i7-7700K, Asus 2GB GT710 passive cooled , 256GB 950 Pro, 2x2TB 2.5" HDD * 280 rad, Alphacool D5/V3 plexi top, Alphacool Light Tower, Alphacool XPA light CPU block* , Fractal Design Define S Nano, Corsair 550W Gold PSU, Win10 Pro. Coming soon .. Gigabyte 1080 Extreme Gaming Waterforce and White Raystorm Pro

Last edited by Ratzz; 24th January 2017 at 4:15 AM.
Ratzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2017, 4:49 PM   #1207
Axe

Old 17th February 2017, 4:52 PM   #1208
Hive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe View Post
Now there's a mod
Hive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2017, 4:59 PM   #1209
MUTMAN

a drill bit and proper fence wire pliers ... bit flash if you ask me
MUTMAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2017, 5:04 PM   #1210
Axe

some older versions i had lying around
the advantage is you can manipulate the wire to mount to anything
Old 17th February 2017, 11:43 PM   #1211
emmjawsX

I never thought of that, the coathanger wire fitting perfectly through the fan screw holes. Cheers for the pro tip
emmjawsX is online now   Reply With Quote