Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > Networking, Telephony & Internet

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 17th February 2017, 9:47 PM   #256
mareke

Quote:
Originally Posted by caspian View Post
VDSL2 is very sensitive to short bridge taps (i.e. in-house) because the high pre-to-post tap ratio means the tap has a high resonant frequency which was often above the spectral range that ADSL2+ uses, but is often right in the VDSL2 range. I think my personal record is 140Mbps cut to 76Mbps by a single additional socket.
That's good to know. The original phone socket in my investment property is in the living room and I had an extra phone socket installed in a bedroom. If I move in it sounds like I'd be better off disconnecting the wires to the second phone outlet.
mareke is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 17th February 2017, 9:54 PM   #257
caspian

if they are star wired, yes. serial wiring is not as bad, but it's still not ideal to have further sockets past the one the modem uses.

nobody will need more than one socket after POTS goes away anyway, so the easiest and cheapest method it just simple disconnection.
caspian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2017, 10:16 PM   #258
mareke

Quote:
if they are star wired, yes. serial wiring is not as bad, but it's still not ideal to have further sockets past the one the modem uses.

nobody will need more than one socket after POTS goes away anyway, so the easiest and cheapest method it just simple disconnection.
The second outlet in the bedroom would be serial wired and it's only a few metres from the first phone outlet in the living room. The bedroom where the second phone outlet is located is where I'd probably have my computer which makes the second phone outlet the preferred location to connect the modem to. I'd also like to keep a landline type phone and I was told that I could do this. It would be a VoIP phone. I don't know how the service with a VoIP phone compares to a normal landline phone but I prefer such a phone over my basic mobile phone that I rarely use.
Old 17th February 2017, 10:27 PM   #259
TheWatcher

How to get a second phone socket disconnected? Is it diy or it requires calling out an electrician?

Thanks.
TheWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2017, 10:34 PM   #260
mareke

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatcher View Post
How to get a second phone socket disconnected? Is it diy or it requires calling out an electrician?

Thanks.
Open up the first socket to gain access to the wires and disconnect the wires going to the second socket by loosening the screws and pulling the wires to the second outlet off the connection points. It should only be 2 wires that you disconnect. I wouldn't call someone out to do it.
Old 18th February 2017, 12:08 AM   #261
r8response

Quote:
You'd be surprised how many people want to keep their extra sockets. Which isn't hard to do, except when their modem only has one FXO port
Old 18th February 2017, 12:39 AM   #262
hvalac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mareke View Post
Open up the first socket to gain access to the wires and disconnect the wires going to the second socket by loosening the screws and pulling the wires to the second outlet off the connection points. It should only be 2 wires that you disconnect. I wouldn't call someone out to do it.
Thanks a lot for that info!
I should be applying for fttn next friday as that is when it's supposedly going to be ready and knowing any extra info about gaining better a better sync is greatly appreciated.

Cam.

Originally Posted by jmart38 They're rude because they have to deal with idiots like me all the time.

Originally Posted by Philll First, let's count the amount of fucks I give about what anyone else thinks. Let's do it, we'll start with 0. Okay: 0. All done.
hvalac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2017, 12:45 AM   #263
mareke

Quote:
Originally Posted by r8response View Post
You'd be surprised how many people want to keep their extra sockets. Which isn't hard to do, except when their modem only has one FXO port
Just have one cordless phone connected to the modem that has extra handsets and keep the handsets in different rooms of the house.
Old 18th February 2017, 10:05 AM   #264
caspian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r8response View Post
if they want multiple points wired back to their VoIP source then sure, but they're still going to need them rearranged off the incoming naked DSL circuit.

I wouldn't bother myself, just get a cordless with multiple handsets.

for that matter, I really don't understand why people cling to their landlines at all. unless you're in an area with poor mobile service, just use mobile.
Old 18th February 2017, 11:34 AM   #265
r8response

Quote:
I wouldn't bother myself, just get a cordless with multiple handsets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mareke View Post
Just have one cordless phone connected to the modem that has extra handsets and keep the handsets in different rooms of the house.
See to you and me, that's the smart thing to do... Unfortunately, people are stupid and don't want to spend money to make things easier for themselves in the long run.
Old 18th February 2017, 1:56 PM   #266
caspian

I think it's more that people just cling to what they know, rather than challenge themselves to understand change and make an informed decision.

I spent literally months redpilling my mother off needing a "landline" when she got NBN FTTB. she has an ISP supplied modem, a single cordless phone, and a perfectly good mobile. her concern is communications in the event of a cyclone (lives in North Qld).

if the local power goes out she hasn't got a UPS to run the modem, or the cordless. running a corded phone just draws power from the modem and would run a UPS down (although less that a cordless). then the FTTB node won't make it past 8 hours on batteries.

in the meantime there's so much mobile signal from three different networks that I wonder the mobile isn't actually charging slightly just from EMF alone. the handset has half of the talk time and six times the standby time of the node, and I bought her a 10 amp USB battery pack that will see her well past the time all of the cell towers are down. and she can dial emergency 112 on any single one of them, her network or not.

less than the cost of the optional voice service from the FTTB provider got her an upgrade to more talk time and data than she can possibly use on the mobile plan, and she gets that benefit year round, not the 2 days every couple of years there's a power outage from a storm.

but people cling to their landlines. *sigh*
Old 18th February 2017, 8:05 PM   #267
Renza

Quote:
if the local power goes out she hasn't got a UPS to run the modem, or the cordless. running a corded phone just draws power from the modem and would run a UPS down (although less that a cordless). then the FTTB node won't make it past 8 hours on batteries.
Not sure about FTTB, but my FTTN node made it past 16 hours on battery backup in SA's state wide blackout last year. Didn't go on long enough to see the node shut down after depleting its battery reserves.
Renza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2017, 8:24 PM   #268
caspian

this one is a micronode... 7.2Ah batteries, not 100Ah.
Old 18th February 2017, 9:04 PM   #269
Renza

Quote:
this one is a micronode... 7.2Ah batteries, not 100Ah.
How long can one expect a full node to stay up with only a handful of customers connected?

edit: looks like 4x 100Ah batteries in each node. Does that sound right? 4.8kWh is pretty decent capacity

Last edited by Renza; 18th February 2017 at 9:27 PM.
Renza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2017, 9:41 PM   #270
caspian

12 hours with fresh batteries?