Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Graphic Design & Digital Art

Notices

Old 25th January 2016, 4:47 PM   #1
B.D.R Thread Starter

Default Logo designs

Pretty sure this is the place for this sort of caper

What's the going rate for some one to make up a logo these days?

Fairly simple design, it has to look like a roof......I assume it is simple any way

Needs to be for advertising and getting cards\quote books printed.
While they are slightly different, for this purpose they are close enough to be indistinguishable.
B.D.R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2016, 3:28 PM   #2
Turnip Dude

Many designers have an hourly rate so the cost will depend on complexity and the number of revisions required until you're happy with the result. Some designers quote a fixed price based on what they think the logo is worth to your business, but you are likely to end up paying more for equivalent quality work since they have to over-estimate to make sure their hourly costs are covered in all eventualities.

Also, does the logo need to be trademarked or can it include off-the-shelf design components? There's a lot more work (ie time, see above) involved in creating something that nobody else has, that also speaks about your business. Pre-designed graphic resources are still very attractive to look at and very much quicker to work with, but can't be trademarked due to licensing agreements.

If you're a self-employed or small business trade service provider, you likely don't need a trademark. If you're planning to expand or sell franchises in the future, it's a good idea to get a trademarkable logo from the get-go.

I'm not quoting for the job, but to give you an idea, if you came in to see me in my place of work, I would estimate around $150-$200 for something professional using stock graphics, and $800-$1200 for something designed specifically for you, based on my hourly rate at work of $150 inc GST per hour. Freelance designers will cost you less since they have lower overheads (no premises, no machinery etc).
Turnip Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2016, 5:18 PM   #3
elh9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnip Dude View Post
Many designers have an hourly rate so the cost will depend on complexity and the number of revisions required until you're happy with the result. Some designers quote a fixed price based on what they think the logo is worth to your business, but you are likely to end up paying more for equivalent quality work since they have to over-estimate to make sure their hourly costs are covered in all eventualities.

Also, does the logo need to be trademarked or can it include off-the-shelf design components? There's a lot more work (ie time, see above) involved in creating something that nobody else has, that also speaks about your business. Pre-designed graphic resources are still very attractive to look at and very much quicker to work with, but can't be trademarked due to licensing agreements.

If you're a self-employed or small business trade service provider, you likely don't need a trademark. If you're planning to expand or sell franchises in the future, it's a good idea to get a trademarkable logo from the get-go.

I'm not quoting for the job, but to give you an idea, if you came in to see me in my place of work, I would estimate around $150-$200 for something professional using stock graphics, and $800-$1200 for something designed specifically for you, based on my hourly rate at work of $150 inc GST per hour. Freelance designers will cost you less since they have lower overheads (no premises, no machinery etc).

This was interesting to read, didn't realise that there was a "stock image" option for logo design, it's probably what I would lean towards (also looking to get a logo or two made up). When you say an hourly rate of $150, you're talking about the fee the company charges for design, where multiple people may work on a design?
elh9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2016, 8:54 AM   #4
Turnip Dude

Different studios have different workflows. Our fee of $150 per hour is not just design time, it's the initial consultation and discussion, industry and demographic research, liaising proofs and revisions, paperwork and so on. With anything where a professional charges an hourly rate, the more prep work you do beforehand, the less it will cost you.

Google Image Search is your friend here, try search terms "(your industry) logo" to see what other people have done, ie "plumber logo". Then try your business name initials plus logo, ie "TD logo" (for Turnip Dude). Copy and save the styles you like. Tell the designer about your business - what your business is about, the age group and income level of your clients, your preferred colours, and so on.

After the research as stated above, the google image search is the next thing I do, first for initial inspiration, then to make sure I'm not inadvertently copying someone else's idea. After that, if I'm designing something unique to you is to knock up some outlines to show the client to get early feedback. Otherwise, if you're looking for the stock option, I jump onto stock.adobe.com or istockphoto.com and repeat the above searches, pick a few of the most suitable results, and run them past the client. As mentioned, the latter option is for people who want an attractive business identity but don't care if it can't be trademarked. Please note, this seemingly easy method still requires skill and experience from a designer - matching font to graphic, fine-tuning colour and balance, and creating versions for all usage scenarios.

There are various logo design websites that outsource the work to poorer nations. But seriously, if you're so tight on money that you'd rather send it abroad than support the local economy, you shouldn't be in business. Plus, you're more likely to get a design you're happy with if you can meet your designer face to face. And if things go wrong, you're in reach of his face

Any more questions, please feel free to ask.
Old 16th May 2016, 10:15 AM   #5
elh9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnip Dude View Post
Different studios have different workflows. Our fee of $150 per hour is not just design time, it's the initial consultation and discussion, industry and demographic research, liaising proofs and revisions, paperwork and so on. With anything where a professional charges an hourly rate, the more prep work you do beforehand, the less it will cost you.

Google Image Search is your friend here, try search terms "(your industry) logo" to see what other people have done, ie "plumber logo". Then try your business name initials plus logo, ie "TD logo" (for Turnip Dude). Copy and save the styles you like. Tell the designer about your business - what your business is about, the age group and income level of your clients, your preferred colours, and so on.

After the research as stated above, the google image search is the next thing I do, first for initial inspiration, then to make sure I'm not inadvertently copying someone else's idea. After that, if I'm designing something unique to you is to knock up some outlines to show the client to get early feedback. Otherwise, if you're looking for the stock option, I jump onto stock.adobe.com or istockphoto.com and repeat the above searches, pick a few of the most suitable results, and run them past the client. As mentioned, the latter option is for people who want an attractive business identity but don't care if it can't be trademarked. Please note, this seemingly easy method still requires skill and experience from a designer - matching font to graphic, fine-tuning colour and balance, and creating versions for all usage scenarios.

There are various logo design websites that outsource the work to poorer nations. But seriously, if you're so tight on money that you'd rather send it abroad than support the local economy, you shouldn't be in business. Plus, you're more likely to get a design you're happy with if you can meet your designer face to face. And if things go wrong, you're in reach of his face

Any more questions, please feel free to ask.
This is great info, cheers for sharing.
In terms of still needing a designer even for the stock image logo, this I know! I did a single unit of graphic design at uni and had no idea what was involved till I did that course. Probably will never try my hand at any sort of serious graphic design, because I discovered that I'm not great at it!
elh9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2016, 6:29 PM   #6
Turnip Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by elh9 View Post
This is great info, cheers for sharing.
In terms of still needing a designer even for the stock image logo, this I know! I did a single unit of graphic design at uni and had no idea what was involved till I did that course. Probably will never try my hand at any sort of serious graphic design, because I discovered that I'm not great at it!
Don't be like that! As with anything in life, it takes time and practice to get good. I was rubbish when I started out, but I had rent to pay so I went hard at it. Never stop learning!
Old 6th August 2016, 5:15 AM   #7
MichaelRitter

I'll have to invest in a good logo soon!
MichaelRitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2016, 7:16 AM   #8
Turnip Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelRitter View Post
I'll have to invest in a good logo soon!
That's the right attitude, a logo is an investment, not an expense. As luck would have it, I'm now taking private work, PM me if you're interested
Old 16th August 2016, 11:51 PM   #9
chainbolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.D.R View Post
Pretty sure this is the place for this sort of caper

What's the going rate for some one to make up a logo these days?

Fairly simple design, it has to look like a roof......I assume it is simple any way

Needs to be for advertising and getting cards\quote books printed.
I see this too late. I could ask my design team, but that cost you, the more simple, the more you pay, an arm and a leg.
chainbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2016, 5:24 AM   #10
B.D.R Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chainbolt View Post
I see this too late. I could ask my design team, but that cost you, the more simple, the more you pay, an arm and a leg.
Thanks Chainy, I need my arms and legs, makes it easier to scamper around roofs

Got it sorted though
While they are slightly different, for this purpose they are close enough to be indistinguishable.
B.D.R is offline   Reply With Quote