Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Graphic Design & Digital Art

Notices

Old 8th March 2017, 11:05 PM   #61
Hater

It's definitely the OS - I run OS X on non Apple hardware and it flies compared to Windows on this machine.
Hater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2017, 12:43 PM   #62
Bertross

Hi OP, without reading everyone comments i have the following to say.

I have used the OSX environment for about 12 years now in my day job and personally I'm at a point where if it weren't for the people whom work here also being old school mac users i would convert everything to PC.

I use a windows based PC at home and have never ever wanted to have a OSX station at home within that lifespan of design work. It basically comes down to price and performance with the ability to customise at will.

Currently i have greatly increased my artistic world and the need for OSX is zero in terms of Adobe CC and going forward 3D software. 3dsmax/daz/blender etc...

I feel with my hobby in the PC community i need the flexibility of hardware changes and i cant do that on OSX to the satisfaction of the "MAC" even if i did buy their MAC pro. And it has a crazy price point i dont wish to bear on anyone for the performance vs a custom option.

Regardless of all this. As "good"(define good?) as OSX/MAC is software and or hardware seemingly is it still hasn't been an easy cycle that it appears to have in the light of many. And its faults are just as much as Windows based PCs we have had in office and at home. So regarding hardware failures its like luck of the draw really. Im not claiming i know everything about Macs and or the latter but yeah i can somewhat point the blame on my own PC and fix it without having to worry to much about downtime and dealing with applecare and whatnot. Basically here if a mac stuff up we buy a new one. We have no down time to worry about a out of warranty issue.

We have had to return a brand new iMac a few years ago as the screen was wrecked from day one and i have never had this from a NON mac LCD before. We have had mac pros and imacs througout the cycle and we usually like the imac the best due to is desk space and lovely screens. Most of us now use the 27" imac 5k res i5 version.

Now that im starting to delve into 3D i don't see much of a future in the MAC world for home use anytime if ever as i like to try and have the best value for money gear at home and i like gaming too. I feel with the design choices apple have with the imac it lets itself down in performance on the i7 models due to throttling issues and thus a silly buy for us only using Adobe CS6 at work for indesign/ps/illustrator as our main uses.

I dont have a whole lot more to add to this really. But if i had to choose one or the other with my own money i would invest in a Ryzen workstation 100%. If you need octane render then you want a fast NV GPU. Ditto probably any render output on a 3D program.

EVGA GTX 1080TI FTW3 | RYZEN 1700 3.9GHZ+H100I | ASUS ROG BIG HERO 6+SAMSUNG 950 PRO M.2 | 32GB CORSAIR VEN 3200 | PHANTEKS ENTHOO EVOLV TG | EVGA SUPERNNOVA 750
DELL U3415W 34" | WACOM CINTIQ 24HD | IPAD PRO 12.9"+PENCIL

Last edited by Bertross; 9th March 2017 at 12:59 PM.
Bertross is offline   Reply With Quote