OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Pets & Animals

Notices

Search our forums with Google:
Closed Thread

Old 17th January 2017, 1:28 PM   #16
dakiller
(Oscillating & Impeding)

I think the neighbors reaction and retaliation is the only thing to worry about at this point.

I would be doing it if I was in the same position pending knowing more about your neighbors and what sort of retaliation could occur.

If you do go ahead with it, don't go hiding it and playing dumb. Completely own up that they had been warned multiple times and they should think about controlling their animals in the future so it doesn't happen again.

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 17th January 2017, 1:29 PM   #17
martini.txt

Yer.. wouldn't be surprised if they find some of their livestock dead shortly after though.
Micro - HP N40L w/ Ubuntu, Sickrage, Plex, Deluge
Garage - Honda Hornet 900 & Fiesta ST & BF XR6 Turbo
Old 17th January 2017, 1:29 PM   #18
power

Once an animal starts attacking livestock it must be destroyed - I'd not be doing it myself unless it was my animal though.

Get proof and call council.
Old 17th January 2017, 1:32 PM   #19
josh_676

Quote:
Originally Posted by power View Post
Once an animal starts attacking livestock it must be destroyed - I'd not be doing it myself unless it was my animal though.

No, it must be locked up and controlled.
Old 17th January 2017, 1:43 PM   #20
WJR Thread Starter

The neighbours HAVE been approached numerous times, many conversations have been had, letters sent, council and Police involved. Relations are already poor but these people live around 400m from my friends so it's not like they're going to crank out some AC/DC in retaliation.

As for "murdering" the dogs...get a fucking grip. Great lengths have been gone to in order to avoid destroying them...and they're just dogs not "fur kids"

Thanks to the poster for posting the relevant section of the SA Dog and Cat Management Act 1995 that's helpful. I think I will get my friends to consult a solicitor before proceeding just to be safe.

I think I'll only have to shoot 1 and the other will bolt and probably never venture out again...point made. Also, the damage to livestock has been limited to bite marks for now because my mate has been pretty quick in running out hollering and waving a stick to scare them off but obviously he can't be there 24/7 and nor should he have to.

Edit: And nothing secretive will be done, it will be all above board and there's no hiding the sound of a .270 winchester anyway.

Last edited by WJR; 17th January 2017 at 1:48 PM.
Old 17th January 2017, 1:49 PM   #21
JunkDogg

I have actually had experience with this.

I grew up on a farm and quite a few family members still own farms.

Pay the money up front for a lawyer to send a letter notifying the Dog owners that if the dogs in future are found to be threatening, harassing or harming any livestock on the property. That the livestock owners are legally allowed to destroy the dogs. Make sure the letter states it is a final notice to comply or the dogs can/will be destroyed.

They don't have a leg to stand on. It does make for angry neighbours for a bit, but they have to understand that the livestock are not just pets they are income/investment. Any retaliation needs to be recorded etc if possible and they can be charged.

Our neighbours came good in the end.

I know it's not a good situation, but at the end of the day a dog that harms or destroys livestock in a farming situation must be destroyed or taken from the environment where this can occur.
Old 17th January 2017, 1:51 PM   #22
josh_676

You're punishing the dogs for having shit owners. No problem with killing nuisance animals (I have in the past).

But make it crystal clear to the owners. I just think this middle of the night and tell no one is as weak as anything.

If you shoot it dump it in the middle of their driveway.
Old 17th January 2017, 1:56 PM   #23
azzachaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_676 View Post
You're punishing the dogs for having shit owners. No problem with killing nuisance animals (I have in the past).

But make it crystal clear to the owners. I just think this middle of the night and tell no one is as weak as anything.

If you shoot it dump it in the middle of their driveway.
Don't forget these animals are actually attacking the livestock, it's not like they are just running loose.

My dog would never actually attack if it got out of the yard.
Originally posted by .Net Developer: I could check it in, but it's gonna look like shit.
Old 17th January 2017, 2:02 PM   #24
dave_dave_dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JunkDogg View Post
I have actually had experience with this.

I grew up on a farm and quite a few family members still own farms.

Pay the money up front for a lawyer to send a letter notifying the Dog owners that if the dogs in future are found to be threatening, harassing or harming any livestock on the property. That the livestock owners are legally allowed to destroy the dogs. Make sure the letter states it is a final notice to comply or the dogs can/will be destroyed.

They don't have a leg to stand on. It does make for angry neighbours for a bit, but they have to understand that the livestock are not just pets they are income/investment. Any retaliation needs to be recorded etc if possible and they can be charged.

Our neighbours came good in the end.

I know it's not a good situation, but at the end of the day a dog that harms or destroys livestock in a farming situation must be destroyed or taken from the environment where this can occur.
I would have just shot all the offending animals by now, but after reading this post, do this.

\0/
|
/\
Muhammad
Old 17th January 2017, 2:03 PM   #25
zero_velocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by power View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_676 View Post
No, it must be locked up and controlled.
No, its gone feral. Best to be shot. Its only a matter of time before it run rampart and attacks/kills a poor unsuspecting child.

OP on a side note, see if your council offers bounties on dog scalps.

In QLD feral dogs can be worth up to $250 each to councils. -Joke, but serious about bounties here.
Old 17th January 2017, 2:12 PM   #26
bennyg

The legislation's clear, owner has right to injure/kill, though only if the goats are being "farmed"... it hinges on that interpretation of the property by my quick analysis (also check if there are requirements for how a dog can be "injured" or "destroyed" perhaps they can ring the RSPCA or something for guidance? Also shows good faith.)

They've laid the groundwork and ticked the good faith box rather than blasting away from the start. They've contacted owners, sent letters, council, etc. I know when we had 2 German Shepherds on 20 acres when I was a kid, they'd get out whenever they pleased, its bloody hard to design a dog proof fence in soft ground for a smart dog that likes digging.

As for avoiding comeback, assuming the legal permission is there and there's no recourse from the police, people who want to be dicks can easily use the civil courts to further their dickery, unfortunately if they're motivated to waste money on court action you can be sure they'll find a lawyer who'll write your friends a letter of demand in fire and brimstone and maybe follow it into a court/tribunal to make your friends' life as hard as possible and even if their claim is baseless.

Neighbours are in the same group as family, except they are worse, they live close by

Last edited by bennyg; 17th January 2017 at 2:25 PM. Reason: read OP properly :/
Old 17th January 2017, 2:20 PM   #27
xplod140

My old man had goats once, even had fencing around them but someone's "pets" decided to dig under the fence and destroy all the goats without even eating them.

The dogs are now ash because you don't bury dead animals on a farm, unless you like attracting more unwanted pests.

They weren't shot "in the dark without telling anyone", it was broad daylight. And if the owners of the dogs didn't ask if they could roam your land attacking your animals, you don't need to send them a condolence card when they disappear.
Old 17th January 2017, 2:34 PM   #28
Agg
Lord of the Pings

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJR View Post
What concerns us is the possibility of legal action from the owners, being affluent types who no doubt love their dogs I'm sure they would try but would they have a leg to stand on?
If you want legal advice.. ask a lawyer.