Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > Retro & Arcade

Notices


Sign up for a free OCAU account and this ad will go away!
Search our forums with Google:
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 9th February 2017, 7:18 PM   #31
de_overfiend
Member
 
de_overfiend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Gold Coast
Posts: 2,112
Default

i used to play pool of radiance and moria on a system very similar to this one back in the day... when VESA was all the rage... oh the memories *sigh*
__________________
I wouldn’t recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they’ve always worked for me
de_overfiend is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 24th February 2017, 11:22 AM   #32
nidz
Member
 
nidz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 293
Default

I remember hav ing a 2MB Tseng Labs ET6000 video card. One of my first PCI video cards after my old ISA cards. Now I have 2GB video card.. Amazing how the times change..
__________________
Photography - My Flickr Page
nidz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2017, 11:34 PM   #33
sonicthemouse
Member
 
sonicthemouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Green Hill Zone Melb 3032
Posts: 661
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMic View Post
I would like to find a genuine IBM keyboard for it at some point but somehow I doubt that will be an easy task.
I have a couple, you can't have the "correct" one from my 5150 but it's rubbish anyway, the layout is odd and some of the keys don't work properly.

But I have a couple of old Model M's and a Model F, any of which should be fine. I'll keep at least one or 2 but I think I have 5+.

Love your project and others like it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRight View Post
Very nice mate. It is always great to see these old machines up and running.

If you are interested check out my thread from 10 years ago about my own IBM PC XT. A 1986 model which I still have and is still a working system!
http://forums.overclockers.com.au/sh...d.php?t=509859

Or, my genuine IBM 'portable', which I also still have and is also still functional.
http://forums.overclockers.com.au/sh...d.php?t=840217


Cheers.
Yep I'm glad I'm not the only one still keen on these old things - bYrd has a thread about meet-ups so I'm hoping something gets off the ground in Melbourne

Also I've got a bucketload of the original software that came with my 5150, so if you need a copy of any of the programs I can try to assist - although I will have to find my stash of 360kb DD disks

Now just gotta track down an IBM 5100
sonicthemouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2017, 1:07 AM   #34
iMic Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Adelaide, Australia
Posts: 15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo54 View Post
"condition close to scrap" it looked pretty good to me? Dusty for sure but I've seen way worse.
Probably should have phrased that differently. The machine was and is certainly serviceable, not scrap, but to its previous owner it was. When I collected it, it was stacked with some scrap metal ATX cases.

The components inside were all good, but the paintwork on the bottom of the case was worn through in some places and thin in others. There were some bare metal scratches and scuffs, an invitation for rust, and it did need some work to return it to a satisfactory condition.

Still, not a condition close to scrap. Anyone that knew what it was would have considered it more than serviceable.


Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicthemouse View Post
I have a couple, you can't have the "correct" one from my 5150 but it's rubbish anyway, the layout is odd and some of the keys don't work properly.

But I have a couple of old Model M's and a Model F, any of which should be fine. I'll keep at least one or 2 but I think I have 5+.
Wouldn't happen to have some of those around still by chance?

I've been out of this project for a while for various reasons but figured it was time to start looking into it again. A suitable keyboard would absolutely be welcome.

Eventually I'll need to look into an alternative storage option as well. The Seagate ST-412 is a brilliant drive and a piece of history in itself, but the bearings inside the motor have seen better days and occasionally it does whine when it's warmed up. Seems to be relatively common on the older Seagates, not sure if it's something that could be repaired with some micro-surgery to the motor assembly or whether another drive is the best option.

If another drive was needed, I wouldn't mind something like a Seagate ST-225, but anything from around the era will suffice. Beggars can't be choosers, but as is mandatory with these MFM drives, the louder the seek noises, the better.


I did come across a somewhat better monitor for it as well. An IBM 8513 Colour VGA. It's not the original monitor, and is intended to match the newer IBM Personal System/2, but it suits the machine better than the LCD previously connected to it.



(Not my picture, but you get the idea.)

Last edited by iMic; 20th May 2017 at 1:20 AM.
iMic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2017, 12:53 PM   #35
sonicthemouse
Member
 
sonicthemouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Green Hill Zone Melb 3032
Posts: 661
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMic View Post
Wouldn't happen to have some of those around still by chance?

I've been out of this project for a while for various reasons but figured it was time to start looking into it again. A suitable keyboard would absolutely be welcome.
Yeah still got 'em all, at last count there was:
1x Model F Extended Layout (keeping that)
2x Model M Extended Layout (both have 5-pin connectors but I think one is XT protocol and one is AT protocol?)
1x Model M PS/2 (keeping that also)

There might also be one more, pretty sure I had 5

For your system I think you'd need the XT-based Extended Layout Model M, if that suits, PM me with a price and if we can come to an agreement, I can test it out and send it over to you
sonicthemouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:47 AM   #36
iMic Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Adelaide, Australia
Posts: 15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicthemouse View Post
For your system I think you'd need the XT-based Extended Layout Model M, if that suits, PM me with a price and if we can come to an agreement, I can test it out and send it over to you
PM sent.


I purchased some extra bits and pieces earlier this evening. At least, I expected a few pieces, but ended up with somewhat more than that.



The IBM XT is a chassis modified to house a newer ATX board. It's a decent modification as well, complete with 3.5" HDD mounts and a slot-load CDROM drive mounted inside the 5.25" Floppy. The enclosure has been cut and drilled, so not much to work with there, but it does come complete with case screws, plastics and brackets that will complete the good XT case, along with spares.

The second machine is an XT Clone. This machine is mostly complete, needing only some various parts, cards and screws to complete it. Because it's an interesting machine, I'll probably restore this one too. I have spare drives, cards and components from my travels in sourcing parts for the original XT, so this should be a relatively easy process. It contains a Siemens SAB8086-2-P processor with an Intel C8087-2 FPU (Ceramic Package). The Intel FPU would probably serve well in the genuine XT, but I'll see what happens.




Western Digital MFM/RLL controller cards. I've been searching for these for a while now. They should be compatible with the Seagate ST-213 I have stored away, so it'll be interesting to see if it works.




These are the most exciting pieces of cork I've ever had. These are replacement case feet for the IBM XT and Model M keyboards. The XT enclosure needed some of these after repainting, but I didn't expect to find a set made to genuine specifications and from the same material. Very cool.

Alongside them is a set of genuine IBM MFM cables as spares, and a LaserROM card that - from what I can tell - is a CDROM drive controller.


Now, onto the really good stuff...



What do we have here...



Aha! An XT-IDE!

This allows a CompactFlash card or IDE HDD to be used as a bootable drive or data transfer drive between the IBM XT and a newer machine. Very nifty.


Something I forgot to take pictures of (and now that I'm ready for bed, can't be arsed doing it), is the mouse I picked up. It's a Microsoft InPort Bus Mouse and InPort Controller Card.




Looking forward to testing some of this equipment out.

Last edited by iMic; Yesterday at 1:44 AM.
iMic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 5:14 AM   #37
damnation
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: perth
Posts: 793
Default

My parents had almost exactly this model when i was born (1983). I inherited it due to being the only person knowing how to use it. I trashed it as a kid when it was superceded by newer models. I wish I had kept it either as is or for a desktop build one day. Good work btw!
__________________
successful trades: dazza00, avexdevil, mximus, 0ztek, Saiyan_Overlord, Jchurch, mute, deeps, ventz
damnation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 9:44 AM   #38
Flamin Joe
Member
 
Flamin Joe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 3,643
Default

Nice score! Great to see more XT's in the world still getting some love.

It's interesting to see the early XT clones and how much of a "clone" they are compared to later XT's which branched off into different designs. That one sort of follows the same IBM PC/XT look in terms of drive placement, but I've seen others which look almost identical to the original IBM PC/XT that at first glance you'd think it was! Quite literally a clone in every sense. Cheeky buggers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMic View Post
These are the most exciting pieces of cork I've ever had. These are replacement case feet for the IBM XT and Model M keyboards. The XT enclosure needed some of these after repainting, but I didn't expect to find a set made to genuine specifications and from the same material. Very cool.
Where did you get these from? I could do with some replacements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMic View Post
Aha! An XT-IDE!

This allows a CompactFlash card or IDE HDD to be used as a bootable drive or data transfer drive between the IBM XT and a newer machine. Very nifty.
Very cool! FYI for anyone interested in doing this there are alternative ways of using XT-IDE with components you may have already. If you have a card which has a boot ROM such as a Network card, you can burn the XT-IDE BIOS onto a EPROM chip and utilise it's socket to boot the ROM. Then all you need is a IDE controller card (doesn't matter if it's 16-bit ISA) and the XT-IDE BIOS will pick it up and detect whatever you have attached to it. Can be a very cost effective way of using XT-IDE without having to spend $70+ on the card.
__________________
AtariPC.net
Atari PC | IBM Compatible Series

PC Big Box Game Collecting
My Collection
Flamin Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 2:57 AM   #39
iMic Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Adelaide, Australia
Posts: 15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamin Joe View Post
Where did you get these from? I could do with some replacements.
The person I bought the other machines from happened to have some around, so I was rather fortunate in that regard, but I believe he had them custom made by a business specialising in making gaskets.

The machine feet are 40mm diameter / 3mm thick, and the keyboard feet are 15mm diameter / 2mm thick.



A small progress report. I opened the Clone XT's power supply to service it, and while the outside label says "American", the internals certainly say "Taiwanese". It isn't a terrible power supply, but it needed some repairs to the solder joints on the 240v inlet.

I ended up having to trim back the wires, wick up the old solder and start fresh. It certainly holds a lot better now, and a quick continuity test with the multimeter shows we're good to go. Also, in case I haven't mentioned it before, I hate solder flux. Still scrubbing that stuff off my hands.




I transferred the Intel 8087 math coprocessor into the IBM XT, installed the XT-IDE, cleaned up the exterior of the case and finished replacing all the screws with the IBM hex-head slotted originals.

Still need to make a template for positioning the feet and affix those, transfer the plastic cap from the donor shell to the restored shell, reaffix the factory labels and case badges, source a CGA-VGA breakout converter, install the Microsoft InPort Bus Card, make an OPL2 AdLib compatible sound card and install some software on the machine.

All with time, of course.

Last edited by iMic; Today at 3:07 AM.
iMic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 7:59 PM   #40
Flamin Joe
Member
 
Flamin Joe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 3,643
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMic View Post
The person I bought the other machines from happened to have some around, so I was rather fortunate in that regard, but I believe he had them custom made by a business specialising in making gaskets.

The machine feet are 40mm diameter / 3mm thick, and the keyboard feet are 15mm diameter / 2mm thick.
Ah ok. I thought you might of found someone selling some on another forum I didn't know about. There were some being sold on VCF quite a few years back, interestingly they said they found a couple of hole punches at a hobby store which were the right size to do it yourself.
__________________
AtariPC.net
Atari PC | IBM Compatible Series

PC Big Box Game Collecting
My Collection
Flamin Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 8:19 PM   #41
sonicthemouse
Member
 
sonicthemouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Green Hill Zone Melb 3032
Posts: 661
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamin Joe View Post
Very cool! FYI for anyone interested in doing this there are alternative ways of using XT-IDE with components you may have already. If you have a card which has a boot ROM such as a Network card, you can burn the XT-IDE BIOS onto a EPROM chip and utilise it's socket to boot the ROM. Then all you need is a IDE controller card (doesn't matter if it's 16-bit ISA) and the XT-IDE BIOS will pick it up and detect whatever you have attached to it. Can be a very cost effective way of using XT-IDE without having to spend $70+ on the card.
Thanks, I'll file that away for when the time comes

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMic View Post
At least, I expected a few pieces, but ended up with somewhat more than that.

(snip)

Looking forward to testing some of this equipment out.
Nice score!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamin Joe View Post
Ah ok. I thought you might of found someone selling some on another forum I didn't know about. There were some being sold on VCF quite a few years back, interestingly they said they found a couple of hole punches at a hobby store which were the right size to do it yourself.
+1, good info, the feet on my 5150 are in resaonable shape but I could do with some for the various IBM keyboards in my stockpile. Could possibly cut them out of a sheet of cork with a hole saw but the edges wouldn't be as clean
sonicthemouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Sign up for a free OCAU account and this ad will go away!

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time now is 11:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
OCAU is not responsible for the content of individual messages posted by others.
Other content copyright Overclockers Australia.
OCAU is hosted by Micron21!