Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > Retro & Arcade

Notices

Search our forums with Google:
View Poll Results: What Atari ST/ST's do you own or previously owned?
Atari 520ST/1040ST 3 30.00%
Atari 520STFM/1040STFM 1 10.00%
Atari 520STE/1040STE 5 50.00%
Atari Mega ST/STE 1 10.00%
STacy/ST Book 0 0%
Other ST's (specify) or an Amiga because ST's suck! 3 30.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old 7th March 2017, 12:36 PM   #31
DonutKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by power View Post
I'm starting to think I need to invest in one of these new fandangled gotek thingy's.

Wonder if I can get one that will go between the two machines (ST and Amiga).

There seem to be a few different types though, anyone know if they are all just packaged differently or are there actual differences?
You should be able to get a cheap one off ebay (beware of knockoffs though) and apply the HxC firmware. this should work between amiga, atari, and pc.
I got one in a grey external case.

There are a couple of different modes for the HxC firmware - you can rename each image file into a sequenced file name pattern and press the buttons to switch between them. Or you can use the image manager which runs on boot and lets you select images to load. There are different managers for different platforms but thats as simple as replacing a file on the USB stick, or just setting up a different stick.

Note that for Amiga you need kickstart 2 or higher to boot from the external floppy port, or do a mod to switch the internal/external ports.

I bought an Amiga external floppy cable from Amibay wjich has the DB23 connector, and a floppy int/ext switcher - works good with the Amiga on kick 1.3, which is what a lot of software will expect.

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 7th March 2017, 1:04 PM   #32
power Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonutKing View Post
You should be able to get a cheap one off ebay (beware of knockoffs though) and apply the HxC firmware. this should work between amiga, atari, and pc.
I got one in a grey external case.

There are a couple of different modes for the HxC firmware - you can rename each image file into a sequenced file name pattern and press the buttons to switch between them. Or you can use the image manager which runs on boot and lets you select images to load. There are different managers for different platforms but thats as simple as replacing a file on the USB stick, or just setting up a different stick.

Note that for Amiga you need kickstart 2 or higher to boot from the external floppy port, or do a mod to switch the internal/external ports.

I bought an Amiga external floppy cable from Amibay wjich has the DB23 connector, and a floppy int/ext switcher - works good with the Amiga on kick 1.3, which is what a lot of software will expect.
that's some good info.

We need some sort of Gotek related thread happening here.
Old 7th March 2017, 1:18 PM   #33
EclipZ

Ahh the memories, I still have my old beasty 1040STe from 1991.
No yellowing, it's greenish - quite the contrast between the ST casing and the mouse which is still light grey.

Was sad that hardly any software ever used the DMA audio, Blitter or extended colour palette in the E, although from memory the DMA had a lot more CPU overhead than the equivalent on the Amiga.
If you have some old 30 pin SIMMs (8 or 9 bit) then 2MB upgrade can be nice and easy, 4MB had problems with some software.
Old 7th March 2017, 4:10 PM   #34
bYrd

Quote:
Originally Posted by power View Post
that's some good info.

We need some sort of Gotek related thread happening here.
I just flashed two generic drives for Amiga use, ended up having to flash under Windows XP - Windows 10 it didn't particularly like accepting my Prolific drivers (but this was under a VM on a Mac).

One thing I did find is that they're slow, basically floppy speed so excellent for resurrecting and installing operating systems on vintage machines but not so much for firing up your favourite game every week.
bYrd is offline   Reply With Quote