Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > Retro & Arcade

Notices

View Poll Results: What 8-bit Commodore machines do you have in your collection?
Commodore KIM-1 0 0%
Commodore PET/CBM 2 3.64%
Commodore CBM-II (B128/B256/128-80/256-80/500/600/610/700) 0 0%
Commodore MAX 0 0%
Commodore VIC-20 8 14.55%
Commodore 64 (The older brown fat model known as the "Breadbin") 30 54.55%
Commodore 64C (The newer beige slim model) 27 49.09%
Commodore 64GS 0 0%
Commodore SX-64 3 5.45%
Commodore Educator 64 0 0%
Commodore 16 3 5.45%
Commodore 116 (Cost-reduced version of the C16 sold only in Europe) 1 1.82%
Commodore Plus/4 4 7.27%
Commodore 128 7 12.73%
Commodore 128D 6 10.91%
Commodore 128DCR (Cost-reduced and bug-corrected version of the C128D) 2 3.64%
Commodore Prototype/Unreleased (C65/C900/LCD/Other) 0 0%
Commodore Emulator - I don't have real Commodore 8-bit machines anymore 9 16.36%
Commodore Emulator - I've never seen/owned real Commodore 8-bit machines, but wish I did! 1 1.82%
Commodore Remake - FPGA or similar modern day implementation 0 0%
Commodore Candy - I thought Commodore was a car model...? 1 1.82%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Old 13th March 2017, 6:13 PM   #211
flu!d
Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by badmofo View Post
"buy my stuff at an outrageous price or get f*cked"
It sold! My own kit craps on that and even then I don't think it's worth $1000.00.

Dell T5500, Xeon X5675 Hex core @ 3.46Ghz max, 24GB RAM, GTX 670FTW, 60GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD OS drive, 2 x 1TB home/storage drives, Dual Acer V243HQ 1920 x 1080 monitors, Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS and loving it!
flu!d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2017, 6:31 PM   #212
nimmers

Quote:
Originally Posted by flu!d View Post
It sold! My own kit craps on that and even then I don't think it's worth $1000.00.
lol... was just a garden variety c64 bundle.
nimmers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2017, 6:16 PM   #213
Flamin Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by badmofo View Post
I personally use a SuperPLA - been using one for years without issue:

https://icomp.de/shop-icomp/en/produ...perpla-v3.html

The PLAnkton wasn't available when I replaced mine so the choice was easy!
Thanks, I forgot about that one! I think I might end up grabbing that as they have the Competition Pro retro I've been interested in as well. Been looking for an original for my A500 and eventually the C64 when it's up and running but haven't had much luck.

PC Big Box Game Collecting
My Collection
Flamin Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2017, 12:43 PM   #214
Bastard Child

Kickstarter for those not aware of this project:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...-at-a?ref=recs

and

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...chine?ref=recs

Last edited by Bastard Child; 8th April 2017 at 12:45 PM.
Bastard Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2017, 9:40 PM   #215
Flamin Joe

Ok an update on my C64 repair adventure. Ended up getting a MyTec PLAtium off eBay as just my luck when I went to order the SuperPLA it went out of stock! Not to matter, it arrived a couple of weeks ago and installed without a hitch. I am now greeted with this.

Click to view full size!

So I went ahead and ordered an SD2IEC V4 and while waiting for it to arrive I went ahead and did some work on the board. I replaced all the caps with Nichicon's except for the 16v 100uF at the bottom right hand side corner near the 3 large caps. Someone forgot to order it when buying all the bits and pieces to do the job...opps! hehe. I'll get one on my next order I'll do up soon. Along with the caps I also brought some heatsinks and adhesive thermal tape to fit on the CPU and SID as they can get a little warm and I replaced the thermal paste on the VIC with a thermal pad I had spare from a GPU cooler which I figure will provide better contact and heat transfer.

Finally the SD2IEC arrived last week and the fun begins! From the recent acquisitions thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamin Joe View Post
So, yeah, apparently I needed another project because I just don't have enough going at the moment....

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Commodore...vip=true&rt=nc

Skool Daze here I come.

Click to view full size!

Man this takes me back! I haven't seen this game for more than 25 years! I never owned a C64 (I had a Plus/4) but my mate did and of the few games I remember playing, this one for some reason stuck in my mind. Just incredible to see it again after all these years.

Anyway, not everything seems to be running smoothly. I was trying a couple of other games and C64 demos which are all on the SD2IEC-Collection you can download from here (so I assume it's all tested) and I've run into a couple of problems. For example with Samantha Fox Strip Poker (lol I know but come on I had too!!! lol ), for a few seconds before it starts up I get the standard 2 tone blue C64 blackground but with garbage characters but other than that it seems to run fine. But then with the Andropolis Instict + Booze C64 demo, it starts loading but then locks up with the screen below. Should I be concerned?

Click to view full size!

So my question is......does anyone have any recommendations on which diagnostics programs to use which are reliable? I tried C64 Diagnostic and I'm not sure I can trust it. It say's the Interrupt is BAD and so is U1 BAD, which strangely is exactly the same as the screenshot on the website. That had me a little suss especially considering running 64 Doctor, it passed every single test with flying colours. Is this normal for software diagnostics not to be so reliable? Am I better off getting a Diagnostic Cartridge for more accurate results? Or are they essentially the same just a different method of loading? Just like to be sure there are no other issues I need to take care of.

My Collection
Old 25th April 2017, 12:12 PM   #216
psyolent

Default c64c repair time

ah .... why would you do such a thing? u10 has another chip piggy backed on top of it! and it literally fell off. needless to say this machine has the BSOD. and thats not blue. black.

psyolent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2017, 2:58 PM   #217
badmofo

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyolent View Post
ah .... why would you do such a thing? u10 has another chip piggy backed on top of it! and it literally fell off. needless to say this machine has the BSOD. and thats not blue. black.
Hilarious! I piggybacked my PLA once when diagnosing a black screen and it brought the machine back to life, but I don't recall being tempted to just leave it balancing on there as a final solution
Old 25th April 2017, 6:18 PM   #218
psyolent

yeah. not a good solution.

the chips are hotter than hell (good name for an album) so have unsoldered them and ordered a couple more 4464s from the UK so will be here in a while.

also got some 18 pin sockets from jaycar so i can socketise them and remove if needed.
psyolent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2017, 9:20 AM   #219
badmofo

Does anyone have a suggestion for VIC20 / C64 /C 128 related reading material? Something that strikes a balance b/w human interest and technical would be ideal - I'm currently re-reading "Commodore: A company on the edge" which is pretty good.

I'm going through a C64 phase at the moment - not sure why and infact I don't really understand this strong attraction I have to it. I bought it in the late 90's but only really started to take an interest in it in the last 5 years, and now it's a permanent fixture in my nerd corner.

Having a 1541 Ultimate 2 goes a long way to unlocking the magic - I recently broke out the Datasette but quickly remembered why I never use it
Old 7th July 2017, 12:11 PM   #220
callan

If you can track down a copy, The Home Computer Wars, by Michael Tomczyk is a gripping read. I read it back in the 80's and lent it to a friend. 'Nuff said

It's out of print but last time I checked MT was updating it for an ebook rerelease. He has some pretty nutty politics these days but his book was a fascinating read on Commodore in the early 80's.

There is some interesting stuff on YT, too. THis is a great talk by Bil Herd HERE (of C128 and C264 series fame.) - and a rather annoying but informative podcast with an interview of Michael Tomczyk.

Callan

"I don't like this internet thing anymore, can we have the old version back please?" - BlueRaven
callan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2017, 1:02 PM   #221
badmofo

Thanks Callan! I'll see if I can get my hands on that one.
Old 13th July 2017, 7:50 AM   #222
flu!d
Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS

Looks like Gideon, the maker of the truly awesome 1541 Ultimate, is at it again!

I get up this morning to see this announcement on his FB page and immediately sent an email saying 'SIGN ME UP'!

I'd get one of these to fit to my clear C64 case and keep my C64 breadbin safely tucked away in it's pillowcase for special occasions. Just the addition of a HDMI out and use of a standard PSU are major selling points for me!

What this guy does for the Commodore community is amazing in my opinion, less arrogant than Jens of Individual Computers.

http://1541ultimate.net/content/inde...&id=74&catid=9

Dell T5500, Xeon X5675 Hex core @ 3.46Ghz max, 24GB RAM, GTX 670FTW, 60GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD OS drive, 2 x 1TB home/storage drives, Dual Acer V243HQ 1920 x 1080 monitors, Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS and loving it!

Last edited by flu!d; 13th July 2017 at 11:08 AM.
flu!d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2017, 7:57 AM   #223
Flamin Joe

I was just about to post that. It looks insane! The biggest feature I love about it is that it has an Ultimate II+ integrated onboard! How friggen awesome is that??!!

My Collection
Old 13th July 2017, 9:01 AM   #224
HyRax1
ˇViva la Resolutión!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flu!d View Post
Looks like Gideon, the maker of the truly awesome 1541 Ultimate, is at it again!
Awesome. Have sent an email myself!
Old 13th July 2017, 10:00 AM   #225
lupin Thread Starter

Im excited just for the fact of decent video.